Chapter 14- Family

Superiority Complex

It was a painting that came to reality. It was a picture in her head she didn't think would work out. If they had started out with bickering, backbiting and teasing, a lot has changed over the past three months Amber has been married to Key. Things have changed for them. Though Amber could say that she isn't romantically attracted to Key at all, he has definitely grew on her. He isn't as mean as he used to be. There were still those days but the frequency he annoys her have definitely lessened.

------------

It was a Sunday morning. They were both off from work and both were thankful they could finally get the time to relax after such a hectic week. Amber has cope with her father's death but she hasn't got the chance to visit his grave nor take a look on how Jackie has been. Rarely does her sister contact her as well and everytime she'd try to call, Jackie wouldn't answer her cellphone. She's decided to visit her that day but perhaps a little late at evening.

Amber was at the garden yet again. The painting of the backyard was starting to look good. She has grasped the green undertones just right. In a matter of a few days, she can perhaps finish it and have it kept safely so that the paint won't deteriorate. Key just woke up and headed to the backyard where Amber was to see what she was doing.

A sliding door was heard right after a click of a door was heard. Amber turned around to see who it was only to find Key still in his pajamas. He had this crazy bed hair which Amber found cute. His eyes were still adjusting to the light so they were quite half closed.

"What are you doing here?" He asked with such a dry and husky voice.

"Painting.. I plan to finish this painting asap so that I don't have to think about it later on. I'd prefer to stay focused on the mural and the tutorial your mother provided for me. Min and I have became quite like friends.. Can't believe she's just a year older than me."

"I see. Hey, are you going to do something today?"

"Me? Not really.. But I'll visit my sister tonight..Why?"

"Taemin asked me to accompany him somewhere and said he wanted to meet you since he wasn't at Luna's birthday celebration yesterday. You up for it? It's for Taeminnie anyway.."

"You seem close to Taemin. Sure.. I'll just finish this in a bit. It's still early so why not. Tell him I'll meet him."

Key nodded and headed on inside. Amber went back to her business. She felt a lot more inspired after meeting Luna. She's never met such a strong person in her life. Besides the fact she can't walk, she can't speak either. Later that day when she and Key came home, Amber found out that Luna was actually a singer. She was about to sign a contract to a talent agency but was cancelled due to the accident. She also admired her for sticking with Onew even though he was held partly responsible for what had happened.

That's what made her go back to painting. Painting had always been her refuge when she felt sad. She'd pick it over crying since it was more productive. It's been a habit of hers to let herself be consumed by her emotions when she paints. It's such a relief after she finishes.

--------------

She was finished dressing up by mid noon. She hasn't finished the painting since halfway she lost the vibe to do it and Key has been nagging her to get ready since Taemin has been texting him where they were. She wore something comfortable that day; a black printed shirt, short pants and a pair of Nike sneakers she bought secretly when they went shopping weeks back. Key finished several minutes after her so they went inside his car.

"Taemin will be waiting near the entrance of the mall inside the parking. He said we should hurry.. Why are you dressed like that? You could've at least wore something a lot more... I don't know, feminine I guess?"

"Stop complaining, it's not like I'll change my clothes anyway.. It's a good way to show Taemin I'm not too different from you guys.."

"Fine. Just be nice to him.."

Amber noticed that Key could get quite protective over Taemin. She doesn't know why but she thinks he's a really good hyung towards the lad. It's like he'll remove his icy facade when Taemin is around.

--------------

Key's cellphone was ringing non-stop while they were on their way. He got so annoyed that he finally answered after 9 missed calls from Taemin.

"Yah! We're already at the parking lot.. Wait for us, okay? You're just too excited aren't you?"

And he put it down. They were able to park on the 3rd level of the parking building. Taemin was at the fifth one. Key just phone him to head downstairs. The couple waited for Taemin at a bench near the entrance. They heard loud and hurry footsteps that were rushing down the stairs. Suddenly, out of the blue a boy jumped in front of them.

"7 out of 10.. You had poor landing.." Key said.

"Ohh stop it hyung.. I was tired waiting you know? You know I hate waiting.." Taemin replied. Key in turn ruffled the lad's head which Amber found adorable. After which, Taemin leaned closer to Key and whispered something in his ear.

"Is she the noona? How did you score her hyung? She looks good.. Too bad."

Key smacked Taemin's arm after he backed away which made Amber giggle. The two men invited Amber to head inside the mall. Taemin invited them to watch a movie but the two weren't too enthusiastic about it. Instead, they went to the arcade and played games; air hockey, racing, time crisis, zombieland, basketball. Name it. Amber displayed her hidden basketball skills which impressed the two boys. Soon after they just headed to a small cafe, ordered some drinks and headed out. They sat at one of the benches located inside the mall to enjoy some donuts Taemin bought while waiting.

"So, noona.. How should I call you??" Taemin asked bluntly.

"Oh. Me? Just call be Amber.."

"Amber-noona? Woah.. Okay. It feels good to finally have a noona besides Sunyoung-noona.." 

They were busy eating until Key excused himself to go to the bathroom. It was quite a walk since it was at the other end. Taemin said he'll keep Amber company while Key was gone. Amber felt a little shy with Taemin. A lot different when she was with Jonghyun and Onew. She doesn't know but maybe because Taemin was a lot more friendly? That she felt she has to cope with the vibe he's giving off.

"Sorry if I intimidated you with my over friendliness. It's just how I am in front of other people that are close to my hyungs."

"No. It's okay.. I think it's great that you're friendly.." Amber replied which was quite a white lie. She isn't intimidated but she felt a little creeped out feeling as if Taemin could read her mind..

"Key hyung is a really good hyung though he doesn't show it a lot." Taemin said. Amber felt this was starting to go into a serious conversation but not like she minded the idea.

"People in the office has considered him to be cold and mean but in reality it's far from that. He's not like that at all.. Or maybe used to be not like that. The last time he actually agreed to go to the mall with me was like three to four years ago? It's been some time and I'm actually happy he agreed to go with me this time. I kind of used the excuse of wanting to meet you. Don't take it in a bad way. I do want to meet you but I just miss hanging out with Key hyung. He was a lot more loose few years back. Don't know why he turned a lot more cold hearted."

"I kind of agree with you. I don't think he's cold at all. He just appears but I think he cares for you a lot. I can see it in him especially when we were at the parking lot. The way he ruffled your hair was full of brotherly love which I find amazing.. I suddenly missed my eonni because of it." Amber replied.

"Really? You have a sister.. That's cool. I also have a brother..A legit, bound by blood brother who's older than me. But he passed away when we were young. My parents took his death harshly since he was the first born so they drove themselves crazy with work. I grew up not being able to bond with my family so well. Key hyung was the one that took care of me when I was in middle school. I look up to him a lot. He's more of a brother to me than just a cousin."

Taemin then looked at Amber with such lonely eyes. She could sense how much Taemin missed his "brother".  Unconsciously, she held Taemin's cheek before saying that everything will be just fine and that his brother is in safe hands. The boy only smiled back.

"Sorry, I took so...Where's Taemin?"

"He said he forgot that he needed to do something related to the office.. He was thankful you came and said he was sorry for leaving without telling you..."

"I see..Well, you hungry? I want some burgers. Let's eat.."

Key lead the way which gave Amber the chance to look at what he was wearing. Key looked different from his usual suited up get-up.. He instead wore black pants, a polo shirt and S. Perry Topsiders. He looked sharp and Amber felt a little flustered seeing him like that.

-------------

They ate at a food chain that was famous for its burgers. Amber waited patiently at one of the tables while Key made their order. Several minutes later, Key arrived carrying a tray. He ordered 2 burgers with double patties and mushroom melt, fries and two large sodas. They digged in and attested that indeed the burgers in that chain was daebak. After digging into the fries, Amber wiped the ketchup off of Key's lip with a tissue. Key felt a little flustered but didn't push Amber's hand away. Instead, he looked surprised. But it felt like he wasn't surprised at what Amber did, he moved faster. He dragged Amber out of the store even though they haven't even finished their burgers.

"Let's go.." He said while he tugged on Amber.

"Wait! Our burgers aren't even done yet.."

He let go of his grip and faced Amber.. "Forget the stupid burgers! I said let's go.. So let's go!' He said in a loud voice. Some of the mallers where looking at them. Amber complied and followed Key to the car.

----------------------

It was a silent ride back home. Neither talked about what happened nor did Amber inquire why they had to leave so soon. She was furious not because of the burgers. It would be too petty to even me mad about that. She's mad because when they were actually having fun, he'll have to go and become all unpredictable. It affected her and she hated the fact that it did. She was enjoying and yet he had to ruin it.

Both headed straight to their rooms, both with heavy steps while they made their way up the stairs. Both didn't come out of their rooms not until 8 in the evening came and Amber looked like she was about to leave. Suho was at the living room fixing some things when he saw Amber was bound to go outside.

"It's raining.. Are you heading outside? I suggest you bring an umbrella with you.."

"I will.. Thanks Suho.. I'll be home quite late but don't worry."

And she left.

-----------------

Amber decided to visit Jackie that night. She hasn't met her sister in days so it's a good chance to see how she's been. Another busy week is coming so she's taking the opportunity to talk to her sister. Also, after seeing Key and Taemin today, she missed Jackie bigtime. She took the bus and train to lessen the travel time. She made it to their house in less than an hour.

"Jack?"

A woman walked out from one of the rooms looking surprised and ecstatic..

"Twirp!!" She shouted and ran towards Amber. They hugged each other tight like they haven't seen each other in ages.

"I missed you Jackie! Sorry I haven't been able to visit.."

"No, it's no big Amb. Come.."

Amber missed their dainty house. It was quite saddening that their father was no longer there but she still felt it was home. Amber missed talking to Jackie. Jackie was like her rock. After all the years they had to endure without their mother, Jackie stood as the mother figure in her life. She owes a lot to Jackie. Even what she has now, she owes it to her sister.

"So what brings you here?" She asked.

"Nothing.. I just. I missed you.. I feel guilty of not being able to visit or what. Is it so bad for me to visit?"

"Visit? Aha. Nice term Ambs. This is still practically your home right? Anyway.. I missed you too. And yes, you haven't visited lately and that's really mean.."

Jackie pinched Amber's cheeks. The latter slapped the former's hand and both laughed at what they did.

"How have you been? Your whole marriage thing.. How is it going?"

"I don't know. Okay, I guess? I can't really complain since he's taking care of our bills here. All of them, water, electric, telephone. He also gives me a weekly allowance that's why I can send you money at least once a week. I hope it's enough.."

"It's definitely more than enough. Thank you..Hey, I've got a question.."

"Hmm?"

"Don't you feel anything for Key at all?"

"What?! No.. Hell to the no Jack.. He's the one guy I would resort to. Over my dead body!"

"Liar.." Jackie replied sternly. Amber didn't budge. "I knew it. You may not love him but he's turning out to be special isn't he?"

"Not really Jack.. But he's growing on me. Not really romantically but I've gotten used to of having him around. When he's not eating with me, I don't have the appetite to eat whatsover.."

Jackie sighed and cupped Amber's face. "Just take of yourself okay, Amber? I'll always be here. We're in this together no matter what.. We're the only ones we've got.. So don't hesitate to tell me anything okay? Just whatever, tell me.." Amber nodded and hugged Jackie.

They talked for the next two hours. They reminisced on how much they  missed California and their friends before they left. They missed feeling the warm sun and how the beach is just a walk away from their previous home. They laughed and smiled. Amber was about to message Suho that she'll be sleeping at her home but instead she found several missed calls and messages displayed on her phone. She checked to see who it was and found it was Suho.

Can you come home soon? He's not listening to me whatsover. This is the first time I saw him like this after so long. I need your help Amber.. I think you're the only one that can help him right now..

Amber, please reply.

Amber, it really is an emergency. He doesn't want to stop..

Amber felt confused on what Suho was talking about. She felt though that it was about Key and she wanted to help.

"Uhmm, Jack."

"Yeah?"

"I think our sleepover will have to wait.. I need to see how he's doing."

"Who? Key?"

"Yeah. Suho texted me and seems like it's an emergency.."

"I see." There was disappointment in Jackie's tone. Amber apologized and left and took a cab to get to Key's house faster. She ran to the front door and found Suho waiting patiently at the living room.

"What's going on?"

"It's Key.. He's.."

Their conversation was cut short when they heard the breaking of glass not so far away.. Both went to where it came from and found Key making a fuss in the bar they had near the tea room on the first floor. He was obviously drunk. The room reeked of alcohol and the behavior he was showing wasn't normal.

"What the hell is going on?" Amber asked. Key didn't answer. He looked angry and confused. Amber didn't like what she saw. Key was from his organized, icy facade. He looked messed up, out of place and confused.

"Key, what's up? Why are you like this?" Amber asked yet again. She can't approach Key because of the shattered glass that was on the floor.

Key glared back at her. Dried up tears were evident which made Amber a lot more confused on what was happening. She walked a little closer to where Key was, avoiding the shattered glass carefully. It was a good thing she still had her shoes on though it was muddy. She can clean that up later on.

"Key, let me help you.. Tell me. What's going on?"

"Why.. After all these time, why did she have to show up to me again! I was better. I've been better. What the hell.. She should've not appeared in front of me! She turned my life into a living hell. After I fought for her? After I've endured everything.. And yet, there she was.. WHY?!" He was shouting. He looked angry. He suddenly started throwing another glass to the wall by his side. The shattered glass flew and one of the pieces cut Amber's right hand as she tried to cover her face. It started bleeding.

"Look. I can undestand you Key.. Please, just calm down."

"Don't act like you can undestand me! You don't even know a thing about me and yet you say you understand me?! Do you want to make me laugh?!" He kept on shouting. His words hurt her. They were true but they hurt her. She had clean intentions but his words were too hurtful for her to endure. With a bloody right hand, she raised and slapped Key's face. 

"Shut up! Just shut up!" Amber shouted which silenced Key. She had tears threatening to break out.

"Shut up, shut up, shut up! Just shut up Key.. Yeah, you're right.. I may not know anything about you. But I'm willing to know about it.. I understand you. I know what pain is, okay? Just shut up.. Because I care for you. You may not like me but I'd still care for you.." Amber gave in to her tears soon after. Key had stopped shouting and fell on his knees. Amber was crying. He started crying. The girl later on also fell on her knees and cupped Key's face. He was crying hard; eyes are red, nose is runny and tears kept falling.

He later held Amber's hand. He gave in to his emotions and leaned in for a hug. He rested his head on one of Amber's shoulder and continued crying.

"I don't know Amber.. I just don't know."

Amber didn't say anything. She just cried with him. She let herself be consumed by her emotion. She thought, maybe it's Key's turn to be immersed in his.

Suho was watching. He saw everything.

============================================

Finally was able to post this update. I made a chapter this afternoon but deleted it since it wasn't turning into something I wanted. Sorry if I posted it quite late. I'd like to say sorry to my subscribers. Huhu. School is such a crazy place. You enjoy and despite it the same time. Hoping I could post an update in another day since I don't have class on Monday. But still, wish me luck. I've got a lot of reading to do. Thanks to my readers! :D Stay tuned for the next one. Especially now that Key finally showed some emotion.. XD Wait for the next chappie.