Chapter 21- Rain and Stars

Superiority Complex

 

It's one of those days. It's one of those that she just wants to lay down in bed all day and not do a thing. It's one of those days she just wants to escape the world and all of the worries and for once at least have a peace of mind. Certain things have been bothering her and the sequence of things somehow irked her instead of releasing her tension. It was already past 9:00am and Amber has decided not to go to work. Jackie on the other hand didn't agree with the idea and forced her to go to work.

"Hey Amb.. What's with being a lazy today?"

"I don't know Jack.. I just don't want to go to work today."

Amber obviously doesn't want to talk about it but Jackie isn't the type to back down. She sat laid beside her sister and hugged Amber. The latter wasn't surprised with her sister's actions.

"Is this about Key?" Jackie asked directly.

"Things have been weird. When we meet in the hallways, he'd avert my gaze. He won't even talk to me. It irks me Jack. I thought things would turn out to be better when we knew the feelings were mutual but turns out I'm wrong. It's like we took an entire step back."

Jackied hugged Amber even tighter. "You know that I'll always be here for you right? You know that no matter what I'll be honest with you and wherever you are, I'm with you,right? Right?!"

"Right."

"Then let me be honest. I never got the chance to have someone special in my life. Most of my teenage life was dedicated to taking care of dad, so you know? Meeting guys and going on dates, I didn't get the chance to experience those kind of things. That's why I'm telling you to stop psyching yourself out. Stop putting things into your head and for once let things happen as they're supposed to. I love you Amber and I want you to be happy. Okay?"

"Thanks Jackie.. I needed that. I mean, thank you for everything."

Jackie stood up and threw the pillow on Amber's face. "Enough with the thanks.. Stand up, take a bath and get your lazy to work."

Both laughed. Amber's happiness is the only thing Jackie could wish for.

-------------------

It wasn't a whim of the moment nor was it something that popped into her head. She's been wanting to dye her hair back to black ages ago. She's always sported brown hair since University. The only time she changed was when she dyed her hair blonde which met its one day death after Key didn't like the color. She took a trip to the salon before heading to work. It was almost noon when she arrived at the office and the girls welcomed her to much delight for her new look.

"Eonni! You dyed your hair to black.." Sulli remarked as she kept on touching Amber's hair.

"Darn Amber.. Now you're making me want to dye my hair back to black.." Bora added.

The girls were immersed into their own little world that they barely noticed the accumulation of the crowd by the front entrance. It was that time of the month yet again. It was time of the monthly meeting and as usual, to much every female employees' delight that the executive board is arriving. Jonghyun arrived first. He looks refreshed after the week long vacation he took. Taemin was already in the building. Apparently, he took a secret entrance from the parking to avoid the crowd. The rest anticipated Onew's arrival. They were eager to see him. But instead of receiving shrieks and hellos, gasps welcomed Onew. 

-------------------

It was past 2:00pm when the girls gathered at the cafeteria. Amber and Woori came in late since the latter had some paperwork to deal with. When the two arrived, they were whispering to each other as if hiding something. Woori butted in and asked what was going on.

"Listen.. Apparently, it seems that one of the bachelors isn't really a bachelor."

Upon hearing the big news, Amber realized they must've been talking about Onew. I mean, it really is no surprise but she wanted to hear how in the world the girls could've found out.

"What are you talking about?" Hyorin asked.

"Well, you see.. Today is the monthly meeting right? One of my groupmates was at the front door anticipating for Onew. She was about to scream his name at the top of her lungs but turns out Onew has a girl. He was pushing a girl bound on a wheelchair this morning with such a bright smile on his face. It was pretty obvious they were together." Jia stated.

"Really? What a waste. I was about to make a move on him.." Bora mocked. The girls started pushing her around. Amber took the opportunity to sneak out. She was delighted to learn that Luna was in the building. They haven't seen each other since she got sick and it would be nice to get to talk to her again. She headed for the elevator and went to the floor where the meetings are held. There is a receiving area near the meeting room. Amber slowly opened the door and found a brunetter girl with her back turned, sitting on a wheelchair while watching the sky through the windows.

"Luna?"

Immediately, she turned around with such a bright smile. As always, with her trusted sketchpad. She wrote her hello. "Amber! Nice to see you again.. What are you wearing?"

"Ahh, well. It's a long story. I was doing something and well.. Nevermind. How have you been? It's been some time since I last saw you."

"I've been well. Onew oppa has been home so I can't be happier. It's amazing that I can spend an entire day with him.. You? How have you been?"

"Well, things are.. I don't know. Confusing?"

--------------------

There was tense air. External affairs, client talks and all have been done earlier that week and dealt with. They had internal issues that had to be discussed with that day.

"Remember what we guys agreed on when we decided to establish this company when we were still teenagers? Remember? We said to ourselves that we'll give our best effort into everything. That we'll do our work diligently.. Didn't we? We said that didn't we??"

No one responded.

"Then what has been happening? Jonghyun hyung! You've been gone for a week without notice. The clients have been wondering why I've been dealing with the operations and Taemin even had to substitute in a meeting with matters he was completely clueless on! We were lucky that the clients were understanding.. And you, Key?? You could've called?! You don't used to be like that. We felt lost since you held most of the paperwork."

"Nobody ever said you have to take all the responsibilty.." Jonghyun retorted.

"What?!" 

"You're not the President. Kibum is doing his job.. If you're going to complain then why don't you just resign?! You're not the president so you don't really have the..."

"STOP THIS?!" a voice was heard from the opposite end of the room. Jonghyun and Minho's shouting was stopped. 

"What the hell is going on?! This is not what should be happening. "

All of those that were in the room were speechless..

"This is not right.. The brotherly love? Where is it?! These are not the cousins that I know that established this company.. What the hell?!! I mean, seriously.. Shouting?! You guys are practically family. You guys should know the latter better more than anyone else.. I don't get it. You! and you! Stop shouting and bickering. It's just pointless.. And you three?! You could've at least said something to stop these two. I mean, how hard is that?! I've witnessed enough families broken in my lifetime. Please, stop this..." 

Amber had started crying. Key stood up and led her outside the meeting room as the others that were left were glued to their seats dumbfounded on what just happened.

"Shh.. Amber. Stop crying. It's all right now.." Key shushed to her.

"All right?! Are you kidding me? What is this Key? What is this thing between us? I don't get it. It's like we took an entire step backwards.. When I'd see you in the halls, you'd avert my gaze. You'll avoid me whenever you'll see me across the hallway. You won't even say hi nor a hello.. I'm lost Key. If this is another of your tactics, I'm done!"

Amber fled out of the room as she wiped her tears, hoping that when she gets back to work she won't be questioned on where she was or why did she cry.

-----------------------

Amber's afternoon was pretty much ruined. She didn't accomplish anything on the almost finished mural. It was pretty much an effed up day for her. A little past 5:00pm when she timed out and was bound home. Woori and the others insisted that Amber should join them for a noraebang night, Amber refused. She was already walking outside when a car parked near where she was walking. The driver turned the windows down. It was Key.

Amber turned back and walked off. Key went out of the car and ran after her.

"Amber, please wait!"

"What do you want?"

"Well,."

"If you want to apologize, walk with me.."

"Huh?"

"Walk with me.. See the way I see the city.."

"Wait here."

Key went back to his car, did a U-turn and parked his car back to the carpark. About 5 minutes later, he walked out of the parking lot. He felt relieved that Amber was waiting for him. "Well?"

She stood up, reached out her hand and lead the way. Establishments were starting to light up the neon when they started walking. The sun set early that day. The light somehow helped set the mood. Key just stared at Amber. He didn't bother listening to Amber as the girl looked more than excited on talking about how she'd spend her days walking about when she was still a student. The girl then caught him staring at her. Key felt embarassed and covered his face.

"You hungry?"

"Huh? No."

His stomach didn't seem to agree. Right after he refused Amber's offer it grumbled. Amber let out a cute giggle.. "Ehe. Come on. I'll take you somewhere.."

Amber dragged Key for about three blocks and afterwhich they entered a small street. A fragrant scent can be smalled from afar and it only made Key a lot hungrier. He saw a little house which appeared to be a restaurant since a lot of people were going in and out of the door.

They entered and immediately the sound of sizzling meat and vegetables was heard. It was like you had own grillery. Key will be honest. He hasn't been in such a place. He grew up eating in western inspired restaurants that he never enjoyed Korean food the way it was served like that. They took a seat near the cashier and where they receive orders.

"I'd always eat here when..."

"Amber dear?" a woman shouted.

"Ahjumma.."

The two women shared a hug which made Key rather surprised. "It's been such a long time since you last came here.."

"Yeah.. I'm really sorry.."

"Ah. Ahjumma, this is Key."

"Nice to meet you.."

"Ahh.. Yes.. Nice to meet you too. It's good you could accompany Amber here. She'd always go here alone when she was still a student. Ahh. It's been so long. I feel old. How have you been? Is he your.. You know? Boyfriend?"

"Ahh..Well.. A lot has happened since then. He's not my boyfriend ahjumma. He's uhh. He's my husband.."

"Husband?! You're married? Omo.. We should celebrate.. Have you ordered?? Your order's on me tonight.."

"But ahjumma.."

"No buts! Consider it as a late marriage gift.."

Amber can no longer complain after all it was freely offered by the ahjumma who owned the store. They were served pork belly, bibimbap, japchae, ddeokboki and even kimbap.. It was a feast. Hell, they were even served soju. It was such a heartfelt meal that when they left, nothing could fit in their stomachs.

"Thanks for the dinner. I was supposed to treat you to a restaurant but turns out the food there is better.."

"Told you!"

"Hey, wanna go somewhere? I mean, since you took me to a special place. I'll take you somewhere special to me as well."

Key called for a cab. Amber complained saying that they agreed to walk. Key insisted they had to. Amber obliged and minutes later was in the cab. She doesn't know if it was the alcohol or not but she felt extremely sleepy. She barely noticed that time passed and they arrived to their destination. They went off the cab and a cold breeze blew on her. She has no clue where she was but it looked like a cabin of somesort.

"My dad and I used to go here when I was young and gaze on the stars. There's a bench at the backyard big enough for four people. Want to check it out?"

Amber nodded and Key didn't lie. The backyard was wide as hell. Key raced her to the bench and they laid down. There were few stars that night and rain was threatening to pour down. They just laid there looking into nothing quietly.. Not until Amber spoke up.

"Why were you avoiding me? I don't get it why you were avoiding me.."

"I was scared.."

"Scared?"

"After so long.. I mean, after Gayoon. I didn't really bother understanding other people anymore, let alone women. After I confessed to you and all, I didn't know how to react. I didn't know how to react to you. I was young when Gayoon and I got together. I thought she was the one so I didn't bother with all the rituals. I felt lost basically.. I'm sorry. But I didn't mean it to seem as if I was playing because I wasn't at all.."

"Really?"

"Yeah.. I have a question for you."

"Wow? You turn the hotspot to me?"

"It's urgent. I just want to know the answer."

"Shoot away.."

"That night, when I kissed you. I mean, after the whole incident with Gayoon at the hospital.. Why weren't you surprised? Not an ounce of surprise was seen on your face. It kind of caught me off guard."

"You really don't remember do you?"

"Remember what?!"

"Remember when you had your little moment at the bar? When you had that rampage? After we both started crying, Suho went out the room to call an ambulance because of the cut I got from the shattered glass. You looked so helpless. You kept saying sorry as you called out my name. Minutes later you kissed me.. Now then I was surprised. I just acted natural the other day so issues wouldn't be raised."

"Are you serious?" Key asked. Amber nodded. "Hey, want to jump on a trampoline??"

"You have one?!" Amber jerked right up. Key stood up and walked farther into the backyard. It was quite dark but he seemed to have climbed unto something. Later does Amber know, he started jumping up and down. She felt exteremely excited. She ran so fast and made her way to the trampoline as well.

They looked like little kids as they jumped up and down hysterically. It was a delight to see them. Their happiness was however cut short when it started to rain. They played for a little longer but decided to enter the cabin to avoid getting sick. It was a pretty neat cabin and Amber admired how it looked. It was something she'd imagine in storybooks. Key pushed her to the bathroom and told her to get changed while he lit the fireplace. Amber nodded.

------------------

It was a rather stupid move on their part. They had no clothes with them and it was already late. They were practically in a location Key only knows and the nearest store would be closed by the time they get there. The only clothes that were available in the cabin were bathrobes and towels. No nothing, no underwear, no slippers, none. Key last visited the cabin about 8 to 9 years ago. He'd send caretakers once in a while. He changed into a bathrobe and that's it. He was practically, well, underneath. Minutes after, Amber went out of the shower with just a bathrobe as well. It was hanging loosely on her shoulders.

"Sorry if they're a bit too big. They're meant for my size so.." Key said as he tightened the robe.

"You didn't have to.. I mean, I don't mind." Amber whispered.

"Dont' tease me like that.. Not when it's just the two of us here.."

"Try me." Amber whispered into Key's ear.

Key would be lying if he'll say he didn't want to do anything to Amber. It was just the two of them there where no one could disturb them. But he didn't want to. Things were fresh for the two of them. He didn't want to hurt Amber. But after seeing her looking flushed from the hot shower wasn't helping and her mocking was just building up the tension. His thoughts however were cut short when Amber kissed him.

"Amber, please.. Don't. I don't want to hurt you."

"Key, please. I want to know if all of this is real. I want to know if this is not just another dream that I'll wake up and not see you there. Please.. I'm begging you." Key looked at Amber and with that final stare he kissed her. Every last bit of control Key held, he threw away. He deepened the kiss as he carried Amber towards the fireplace where a futon was already placed. He gently laid down Amber on the bed as he continued to carress her neck and later on her shoulders. Little by little he started to started to untie the robe he just tightened minutes ago. Amber did the same as well. Key then slid down the robe as Amber covered herself up. 

Key smiled with her actions. She never looked so feminine in her life. Later on, Amber had started crying which made Key panic. "What's wrong??"

"Nothing.." Amber said as she wiped her tears. "No, really.. Is it.. I mean."

"No.. No.. Nothing's wrong. I'm just really happy. I never imagined that things will turn out like this and you reciprocated my love.. It all seems too real that's why I'm just happy. Thank you so much Key.. Thank you so much for everything.."

Key hugged the girl. "Don't cry.. I should be the one crying not you. I don't really know what else to say but I'm happy too Amber.. Really happy.."

They remained like that for almost 15minutes without moving. They just enjoyed the silence. Key then looked at Amber and smirked.

"Are you ready?"

Amber's eyes widened. She later felt something stiff at her posterior, right between her. She gulped a big gulp. "Be careful.." Little by little she felt it, it was indeed painful but later a rush of pleasure flooded into her. "Is it in?!" She shouted.

Key laughed while they remained in their awkward position. "You're seriously going to ask that?"

"Well.."

"Happy birthday Amber.. I know this is some birthday but yeah.. Happy birthday.."

Both laughed. Amber then, with all of her strength, pushed Key. She was now on top of him. "Enough talking.." She whispered. Key smirked. A long, wild night was surely coming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clickty next! >_< ^^