Chapter 33- Who?

Superiority Complex

Did she have to do it that way? Was it really necessary for her to drive him away yet again? She has no plans of moving anymore, not when she knows that her daughter is somewhere nearby. She can't afford to add distance anymore. She's been searching for so long and for once she just wants to have her daughter by her side. But then again, the dangers are posing. She is no longer sure of her safety. She needs to take the time before she makes her next move. They're back. She knows they are.

-----------

Last night was a wreck, a disaster. She cried like a crazy woman when she knows she was the one who asked Key to leave. She wanted him safe. If she were to be around him, he'll only be open to danger. Imagining the thought of Key dying in on her is too much. She might as well kill herself if that happens. But then again, Key was right. She is not a very good liar.

She lied when she wanted him out of her life--that she wanted the things between them to be over. She didn't want that. She never felt so happy after so long. Seeing him in the flesh, touching him, feeling him, kissing him, making love to him. She was in heaven. She remembers that everytime she'd open her eyes and he's there beside her, sleeping so soundly. She'll look at his face and appreaciate the beauty he is. He was perfect. He had his flaws but for him he was perfect. 

"Amber-ssi.. Amber-ssi?" someone called out. Amber was too busy imagining Key's face that she won't notice it unless that person knocked loudly on the wooden door.

"Amber-ssi, are you busy?" 

"Ohh.. Hey Eunji." It was Eunji. One of Amber's colleagues in the school. She was dubbed perfect by their male co-workers; pretty, petite, smart and cooks really well. She is a teacher at the math department so it's no question she's got the brains. Amber doesn't hate her but doesn't particularly like her either. She found her too much.

"I was wondering if you are busy today? I just thought you wanted to be able to do something else for today?"

"What do you mean?"

"Parents would be coming over since its handing out of report cards for our students. The homeroom teacher of one class in the second grade is absent. We were wondering if you wanted to join us a bit."

Without much thought, Amber agreed to the idea. Eunji seemed delighted with joy as she left the art room.

Where was she? Ahh, yes. Amber was too busy thinking about Key. She thought he probably hates her even more now since she  pushed him out of her door, literally. She even locked him out. It was all a little faint but she remembered what happened

"Amber, please. Let's talk about this. Don't do this.."

She was silently holding in her tears. She can't let him hear her and know that she' s still behind the door . He'll just insist to come back in and talk. She didn't want to, then she didn't want to. It was a lapse of judgement on her part. Her emotions clouded her logical thinking and because of it, she drove him away yet again. 

She can only exasperate a sigh.

-----------------

A commotion started in the office early that morning. A major client was in the house and no one in the board was available. Minho wasn't in since he's too busy preparing the wedding with Sulli. Jonghyun will come later that afternoon since a client asked for his presence on site. Onew is still taking care of Luna who's still in a coma. Key was the only hope left. When Woori was about to call him, he came out off of the elevator from the underground parking. It was a sigh of relief. He met the client waiting, apologized and lead the way to his office.

"I apologize for my late arrival. Traffic going here was a little harsh today and I left a bit late. Again, pardon my late arrival."

He looked tired, weak and exhausted. Every one in the room can see that. Key had asked Woori to personally be his assistant for now and the girl accepted the role. 

Key wasn't lying that he left the house late but it wasn't because he woke up late. In fact he didn't have an ounce of sleep on him that morning. He stayed until two in the morning in front of Amber's door, hoping and waiting that she'll open and up and say that everything was a joke. He'd knock every now then during that struggle but to no avail, Amber didn't budge. He opted to leave by three and at least get some sleep. He failed to do so. He spent his time reading, surfing and practically anything else he can think of. He tried his best to resisit alcohol.

The meeting went on as planned and the client seems to be interested what Key's company has to offer. The managmement of the client left a little after lunch and thanked Key.

"Boss Key?" Woori added.

"Yeah?"

"Are you alright? You look.."

"I'm okay Woori. I'm just a little tired, but it's all good."

Woori then handed him what appeared to be a bento box. "You were looking stressed as of lately, so I took the time to make you lunch. It's not much but please eat." She said bashfully. Key took it and she sped of away.

Despite everything, Amber is the only thing running in his mind.

-----------------

Amber was busy guiding the parents into the rooms later that day. A lot came which most of the faculty didn't expect. It was bit early for the handing out to start but since it was a first come, first serve basis, most of the parents came early. The thing won't start in a few hours so she decided to go to the art room and get some alone time to actually think. The rooftop is no good since paint job on the railings is still on going. She headed on inside but was surprised she can't have the room all to herself.

"Hello.."

The little one turned around and smiled. "Hello."

"What are you doing here?" Amber asked.

The little girl didn't respond but instead grabbed a piece of paper and some crayongs and started to draw. The little girl showed potential. Amber would estimate she's five to seven years old. Other kids of her age wouldn't even bother to pick up coloring materials unless it was needed.

"You made those paintings?" the little girl asked as she pointed to one of the canvas across the room.

"Yeah. I did."

"I like them." The little girl responded. Amber smiled. The only other person who took the time to tell that her paintings are pretty is Key. How she wishes to take back what she said last night. It was out of her emotion. She lost rational thinking and became overwhelmed with everything. 

Amber's thoughts were cut short when the door of the art room opened. 

"Eunyoung, eomma and appa had been looking for you." Another girl said. "Eunyoung, huh?" Amber whispered.

The little one followed and returned the art materials she grabbed earlier. She bowed her head and went to her sister.

"Eunyoung! Wait.." Amber called. She made her way to her desk and opened a drawer. She brought out a little picture.

"A little gift you can remember me by.. You said you liked my painting right? This is a draft I made. Hope you like it."

Eunyoung took Amber's gift with a smile. Thanked the older one and left hand in hand with her sister. It was a sweet, simple, little gift and she is bound to keep it.

-------------------

Key remained in his office the rest of the afternoon; taking turns in reading papers and thinking about Amber. Should he call her? Should he be mad? Should he just accept what she said and finally move on after all these years? He was at a loss on what to do. If anger, hate and running away for six years was not enough for him to forget her, he doesn't know if there is anything else. She is the one he considers his better half, his soulmate. 

"Gaahh!! Amber, you complicated woman!" He shouted. Woori knocked and entered. "Boss, you okay?"

"Ohh, Woori. Sorry.. It's all good. You need anything?"

"Ahh, yeah. A letter came in today. The sender was anonymous so I thought I'd hand it to you personally."

"Thanks."

"Uhmm, boss? If you need anything just call, okay?"

"Yeah. Thanks Woori."

Another anonymous letter? Key was a little suspicious. The last anonymous letter he received was the file that contained all of Amber's personal file and what appeared to be pictures of her as she was followed. He decided to leave the reading later that night when no one is around.

-------------------

It was already a bit late when the handing out of report cards were finished. It was mixed emotions for the parents, others felt proud, others were disappointed. It came as a thought to Amber that she could be in their place right now, only if her daughter was there with her.

"Thank you for today Amber-ssi.."

"It was no big Eunji. Thanks for having me."

"You want to have dinner with us? Come on. We barely get the chance to hang out with you. Please, Amber-ssi?"

"Drop the 'ssi' and yeah, sure. I'd love to join you guys for dinner."

Amber liked the idea. She wasn't really close to anyone in the school. Meeting and getting to know her colleagues doesn't seem to be a harmful idea. All of them set out to eat in an eat-all-you-can place with an open grill right in front of you. Amber hasn't been to such places recently so she was even more excited.

When they got there, everybody pretty much became one with the company. All of them were laughing, passing on food and sharing drinks. It was better than what Amber had expected. She had always thought of her colleagues as a little stuck up and hard to talk to. But they're really fun people. Eunji turned out to be a big dork. She had a colleague named Jaehyo who has an alter ego of being an underground rapper. It was a fun filled night. Minus the fact that one of the older staff was trying to hit on her, everything seemed okay.

They finished late that night, around 10pm. It had started raining earlier on so people went off in groups. Amber's complex is entirely different from the rest of them so she had to go alone.

"Thanks for inviting me Eunji. Everyone is better than I thought."

"And thanks for coming. Truth is, a lot of us wanted to know you but you seemed so distant that's why we don't know how to approach you. Thanks too Amber! See you."

Her umbrella came handy that night. The rain was pretty heavy and the streets were pretty blurry because of the downpour. Her complex was a little far but having barely enough money left for a cab, she decided to walk. 

Not sure if she was being paranoid but she felt something or someone was following her by the time she was about three blocks away from the restaurant. She would hear a flash of footsteps in sync with hers whenever she makes a turn. She was going off route on her way home but she had to check if indeed she was being followed. If she'll stop, the footsteps would as well. If she turns around, no one would be behind her except other random strangers. She walked even more, and the footsteps eventually stopped. Not long, she received a text message.

[UNKNOWN SENDER]

10:32 P.M.

"Found you."

Amber was scared. It was them. It was him. She was to runaway but she felt someone grabbing her bag. She let whoever it was take it and ran. She ran as fast as she can. What did they want? What do they need? She has never recalled oweing anything to anyone that's why she feels lost on the reason as to why all of these threats are happening to her. She ran as fast as she can. She'd trip, she'd fall. Hell, one of her kitten heels actually broke as she ran. She left her shoes behind and ran barefoot. Who cares about leptospirosis or something, she needed to run and get away from the person who was chasing her. She ran from one street to another, jumping over bushes and crossing all the muddy parks. She was scared for her life and thought of only one place to go to.

---------------------

It was late and Key wanted to head on to bed, opting to read the anonymous letter the following day. It was still all a blur as to what he should do. The stress from work isn't helping either. As he was about to tuck himself into bed, a loud thumping and knocking was heard by his door.

"Open up, please!!!" The person shouted. Key hurriedly opened it and was shocked to find Amber, drenched in the rain, her clothes ripped and muddy. Her feet were a different story all together. It was obvious she had been running. Panic was evident in her breaths. She fainted as soon as he opened the door. He caught her and without second thought brought her to the bathroom to give her a bath. She was a mess. If she were to stay like that, she'll catch a full blown fever.

-------------

Warmth. A warmth that is so familiar. Amber slowly opened her eyes and was a little surprised to find that she was on Key' s bed. She was alone. All tucked in while Key was at the other end, reading. Key eventually saw she had woken up and went to go by her side.

"Hey.."

"Hey.."

"Seems like no matter how much you push me away, your body is the one that will search for me. You came here, all wet and muddy, earlier this evening. I had to give you a bath."

Amber blushed on the thought of Key giving him a bath. "Don't be embarrased about it. It's not like I haven't seen you in a more intimate light. You were unconscious as well. I had to something or else you'll get sick. Tell me, what happened? You were obviously in panic. Was someone going after you or something?"

"No. I'm fine. Thanks. I have to go.."

"For the love of God Amber! Stop this act. Stop acting like you don't need anyone. You looked like you came from some hole earlier tonight and you're telling me your fine?! That's bull! You were almost ran over by a car, you have scars of stitches all over you and today, someone almost took you, let alone kill you. Now, tell me, you don't need me?! For God's sake Amber. Start caring for yourself before you care for other people. If you need help, I'm here. I can help you. Just stay here with me. It will give me a sense of peace knowing you are here.. Please."

Amber started to cry. Everything Key said was true. She needed help. She needed someone. She was scared and being alone is not helping.

"I'm sorry Key. I.. That person, who I was running away from is back. They're back or he's back. I don't know what he wants but I don't like it. Whatever it is, it seems pretty clear that he wants me dead!" She cried. Key took her in his arms.

"Do you know who it is?"

"No. I don't know. All I know is that the man that was following me earlier is no taller than you. About as tall as me or a little more. But he wasn't a big man. I'm sure of it." She said in between her sobs.

Key flicked Amber's forehead. "How do you like the idea of living with me again? Like how it used to be. Me, you waking up together, having fun at the dinner table and all things in between? What do you think?"

Amber has no other choice. She's scared. She'd be lying if she can handle it all alone now that circumstances seem a lot worse. A nod, a hug and a kiss. It's enough for him to know it's a yes.

---------------------------------------------------------

After almost a week, janjanjan! An update. So, yeah. I'll be soon revealing things in this fic little by little. Amber finally agreed to live with Key yet again, talk about, finally! :) Anyways, I can't have them separated any longer. They're my ultimate OTP (besides Lunew) so I had to bring them back. Hope you guys liked this chapter and stay tuned for the next one! ^^