Chapter 34- Rekindled Love, Mended Wounds and Broken Friendship

Superiority Complex

It turned out better than he had imagined. It went smoother that what he expected. They were like how they used to be six years back, like a happily married couple. They were able to get all her things from her apartment without any problem. No one seemed to invade the apartment and everything was pretty much intact when they gathered her things. Key had paid the landlady full in cash just to let Amber go.

He placed all her things together with his. They shared the closet, the bathroom, the bedroom.. Everything. What was his is hers and what was hers is his. Though not on paper anymore, they're pretty much like the married couple they were.

Amber didn't have much things to begin with; a few sets of clothes, shoes and some paintings. But perhaps what was the most precious possession she had was a photograph, well not really a photograph but an ultrasound. It was a traditional one, nothing grand but what made it special is the fact it was their baby in that photo, her very first photo. Amber mentioned it was around her seventh or eighth month when she decided to know of the baby's .

"You've been looking at that thing since we got from my apartment." Amber said as she sat beside on their bed.

"I wonder where she is, how is she doing, like is she with a nice family? Are they treating her nicely? It's all running in my head whenever I get to think about the possibility that our family can be complete. I feel excited and nervous at the same time."

"You'll be fine. You'll be a good dad, I know that. We'll have to make adjustments but I know we'll be good. Especially you.."

Key held Amber's hand tightly. They felt positive that eventually they'll find their daughter, that their family would be complete once and for all.

"By the way, how are the repairs going with the school? We've sent some staff over there almost a week ago to make some changes."

"So it was you guys who has painting the railings on the rooftop? Damn, I can't find a good place to paint since the rooftop is technically off limits. Mrs. Han won't let me alight since she said it was strict orders not to let anyone in unless they finish."

"Well, besides the painting, I planned to set-up a sky garden on that rooftop of yours. It will make the school look more lively with a little green thing going on. If I'm not mistaken by this week they should be halfway done on the paintjob and bound to start on the garden. The stairs and ceilings will follow."

Amber hugged Key; buried her head into his chest and sniffed as if there was no tomorrow. "You know, you're just the best.."

"Get dressed, we'll be heading to the hospital today. Onew hyung called in late last night, saying that Luna seems to have woken up. " Without another word, Amber ran off to the closet to get dressed. They haven't heard much from Onew since the accident happened. It was a relief, in fact good news that Luna has had some consciousness to her after weeks of being in a coma. Amber can't express how excited she is to see a dear friend.

Without wasting anytime, the two of them headed to the hospital to check on Luna. Luna was transferred to a private room once her condition was stablized. They saw Onew waiting outside the door of Luna's room when they arrived.

"Onew hyung.." Key called out. "Hey, glad you two came. Luna is inside, she's waiting for you guys."

Amber opted to go in first. It''ll be the first time she'll be seeing Luna after the time she went away. Amber knocked then proceeded. She was greeted by a smile and a wave. She still had several tubes on her but otherwise, she was looking better. A lot better compared to the last time Amber saw her, stitched up and covered in blood stains.

Onew and Key were by the door.

"Seems like this accident actually brought out a miracle." Onew said.

"What are you talking about hyung?" Key was puzzled. The older hyung just pointed at Luna.

"A..Amb..Ambeo.." Amber looked up. "Luna?!"

"H..how ------- have.. you.. been?"

It was no joke. Luna was talking. Sound was coming from her. Her glorious voice, once escaped and now its back.  Key was baffled, Onew doesn't look too surprised anymore.

"What happened hyung? I mean, how??"

"I was surprised too actually. I was half asleep and half awake when I heard a faint call. I thought it was the nurse but then I saw Luna. She was conscious and slowly trying to utter my name. I called in the nurses to check on her. The doctor wasn't surprised however. I asked what happened and how her voice came back after all these years. Turns out the loss of her voice was subconsciously Luna's choice. The doctor checked on the nerves dealing with her vocal chords and he said everything was fine, no damage but he noticed a low transfer of electrical signals around the area of her speech. He speculated that the loss of Luna's voice was her way of coping with the accident we had and her condition of being limp. Her spine is a different story all together and said it was something irreversible even through surgery."

"Does that mean Luna can go back to singing? It's her dream after all. She'd been held back all this years, will you let her?"

"Of course I'll let her but she has to go through some speech therapy though. The doctors advised it or else her stuttering will take a longer time to get fixed." 

Amber and Luna however were knowing the story differently. In fact, it didn't matter. Amber was more than happy for Luna and Luna was happy her voice is back. Moments later, Jonghyun arrived. Key went to the cafeteria to get everyone food while Amber and Luna were still rejoicing inside. Onew lead Jonghyun to one of the seats.

"Jonghyun-ah."

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry for punching you then. I was mad and felt worried. I seriously thought I was going to lose her."

"Nah. You don't have to apologize hyung. I knew where you were coming from so no need."

"But seriously. I'm sorry.. I'm really sorry not just because of that but for everything. I strained our relationship. I was supposed to be your hyung, a brother you can depend on. But instead we became like enemies, not talking to each other, not liking each other's existence. I'm the older one yet I was so immature. I'm really sorry." Onew pleaded. Jonghyun offered his hyung a hug.

"It's all good hyung. We're good."

----------------

Moments later, Jonghyun abrupted the mini-reunion Luna and Amber were having. Amber left and Jonghyun was left inside. He wanted to talk to Luna and apologize.

"Luna-yah.." He said softly, as tears were already verging in his eyes. "I'm really sorry.. For all of this. This shouldn't be happening to you. You have suffered enough yet I brought you misery again. I'm sorry. If it weren't for me, Onew hyung wouldn't be dead worried as to whether you're alive or not." He said as the tears finally fell. He was apologetic and he felt guilty. Luna then clasped his hand.

"Jo..jong. hyun, o..ppa. It... is. oka..okay. See?"

His tears of guilt were turned to tears of acceptance and happiness. "You can talk? Again?" Jonghyun exclaimed. Luna only nodded. It was the best day he had in a long time. He and Onew are finally on good terms and Luna's voice came back.

The voice that captivated him. The voice that he listened to and fell in love with. The voice that made him happy. The voice that gave him hope in life. The voice that he learned to let go. It was back and he was more than happy for her.

"Omona Luna.. I'm so happy for you!"

Key later arrived with the food he got and was surprised that everyone was now jumping around. It's not that he doesn't like it. He loves it. His family, both immediate and extended are getting along like how much he pictured it.

------------------------

That was how Amber's week pretty much started. It started out great, with a blast and filled with smiles and tears of happiness. She loved the positive aura. She hasn't had work since she moved in back with Key. The school administration had a timely conference they had to attend to in a foreign country. The principal came along with some teachers. School is off more almost a week. The students didn't mind it. She didn't mind it.

"I wonder if Key is busy today? Should I go and visit him?" Amber had the huge house all to herself. Ever since Suho left abruptly soon as Key arrived, she hasn't seen the lad ever since she left back then. Suho was like a brother to her. He cared for her and assisted her whenever she needed help. Having him around is something she misses.

"Ohh gosh, I'd rather go and visit him."

Key was not really busy. His field managers forwarded progress reports on the things they have achieved in the affliated instituitions they  picked weeks before. One of the schools they picked didn't have much work needed to be done except the gym and auditorium. That place was almost done. It was late afternoon and Key has been tired. He misses Amber so badly and just wishes to go home as soon as possible. He'd wish to hug her, kiss her and shower her with his love. In a matter of minutes he dozed off with his fantasies of wooing Amber.

Excited was the proper term to use. Not really eager. Eager seemed a little too much. She was proud of herself of being to traverse her way around the building despite the long time she last roamed. 

"Eonni!" 

It was Sulli. The newly married girl ran up to her as she sported her new hair and big- ring. She just came from a brief trip with Minho for two days. The engagement has done her good. The once gullible, frail looking girl is a full pledged woman. Amber couldn't be more proud of her dongsaeng.

"Hey Ssul."

"What's up eonni? You came to visit  boss Key?"

"Yeah. Is he around?"

"Uhuh. Come on, let's go upstairs.."

Sulli accompanied Amber to Key's office. Short but fulfilling conversations were shared between the two of them. As soon as Amber entered, she halted by the door. 

"Eonni, what's wrong?"

Woori then came running out of Key's office. Amber with much surprise written on her face. Sulli completely clueless on what was going on. 

"Woori eonni?" Sulli called.

Amber ran after Woori while Sulli followed behind her. Amber gripped on Woori's arm while the latter obviously was trying to break free of her grasp.

"What was that all about Woori?" Amber asked. Much to Sulli's surprise, Woori faced them, crying.

"Seriously, what was that all about?! What were you doing in Key's office, leaning into him like that?" Amber reiterated.

"It's all your fault!"

"What? What are you talking about?!"

"If you hadn't arrived. If you hadn't came, it could've been me! It could've been me that he is with. I cared for him Amber, way before you did. I knew him way before you did!"

"I don't understand."

"Remember the guy that I told you about? The guy I fell in love with then I learned he was to get married? That guy I was talking about was Key! I'm not a fool not to notice that something was going on between you two even before you told us! You'd disappear for days and when you're not around, Key would go on missing as well. All I needed was a confirmation and that was when the two of you arrived at the same time one morning in his private car."

"You could've just told me?"

"Told you? How in the world can I tell you? You were obviously in love with him! I had to learn to let him go and accept the fact that he'll never look at me the way he looks at you. His eyes, whenever he sees you. His face lights up whenever you're around. Now, tell me. How in the world could I have told you, huh?!"

"Woori.."

"Then you left? You should've seen him! He was a mess. I never thought nor imagined he'll look like that ever! He was a wreck. He was at a slump. He didn't come to work for days and then he left so suddenly leaving everyone in a shock. Minho said it was personal matters but it obviously had something to do with you. Then we didn't see you soon after? Gosh, what a coincidence! He came back and he looked better. Then you had to come back as well! Then what? You'll run off again? Leaving everyone looking stupid?!"

"You didn't know what I had to go through!" Amber retorted.

"No! You didn't know what I had to go through. If I were given the option of not meeting you again, I'd choose that."

"Woori eonni."

"You stay out of this Ssul! Now, can you please let me go?"

Amber let go of her grip and Woori walked off. Amber doesn't understand her point but she can't hate her either. She was oblivious to Woori's struggle. Not once did she get a clue. But can she blame her? They could've just talked about and everything could've been settled. Not like this. Not like the way she caught her, leaning in what appeared to be a kiss. Her supposed great week appears to be ending with a sour note.It was pretty clear that their friendship was pretty much over. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I was supposed to update last night I fell asleep on my desk and woke up with keyboard marks all over my face. (Talk about unattractive! :D ) Anyway, a little tidbit there. I'm still thinking what could happen on the next chapter. Did the chapter seem too dragging? 

Hope you guys like it! Stay tuned for the next chapter! ^^