Chapter 38- Eomma

Superiority Complex

He did not know whether he should worry or not. He was uncertain on what he should do. Most of his life, he spent away from her. Most of his life, she was not a part of his life. It was a choice he made early on, that once the time comes and the time permits, he'll leave. DId he regret it? Not once. Did he miss her? At times but incomparable on how much he misses his father. 

"You've been sitting there since this morning.." It was Amber. 

"Hey. Sorry, I was just..thinking?"

"Well, that's new. Look, about last night."

"No. You're right. I understand. You had every right to get mad at me. I didn't consider the other circumstances and decided in a state of panic.."

"About that, I considered what you said when I fled home last night. Safety, it's definitely a concern and I just got really angry. We do need protection. I'm willing to have some bodyguards and the stuff, but please.. I don't want to quit my job. Not now.."

"Then, what do you suggest we do?"

"I don't know? Have someone from the team disguise as a staff of the school? I don't know.."

"Yeah, I suppose that could do."

"By the way, have you.."

"No.. I haven't. Minho tried again earlier this morning, no return."

"Key.."

"I will Amber, don't worry.."

Before Amber was about to leave. Key called on her and asked if they could leave for a short while. He wanted to go somewhere, Amber said she'll ask for permission if the doctor would allow him to leave the premises of the hospital. Key hasn't made contact with the outside world since he had that accident more than a week ago. Amber's week is to resume in about three days, so they're taking the time to the fullest as much as they can.

----------------------------

The way to their destination looked faintly familiar. She's been there. She knew she's been there. The chauffeur dropped them off in a nearby hillside. Key's legs cope sooner, walking is no issue. Running and climbing stairs are still a problem but he can manage. 

"Have we been here? This way seems all too familiar."

"You don't really remember?"

"No. Well, I do but not clearly."

They took the trek to the top of the hillside with much time, Amber carefully guiding Key on his way up. Once they reached the top, it all started to make sense to her. They were back at the cabin, where they had their first time. The trampoline was still there and the huge tree stump that was just adjacent the cabin.

"You remember now?" Key asked. Amber didn't exactly reply. She ran straight for the trampoline like a little kid. Hell does she care she's 27, no one was there. She can do as she pleases. Key sat by the stump and enjoyed the view of Amber playing. It all came back to him. 22 years ago, he was the one on that trampoline, while his father watched where he was, smiling. The cabin was there getaway from everything. It was a sanctuary for them father and son. No one besides the two of them knew about that location. It was their own little secret. 

Night fell early and Amber was busy by the fireplace, boiling some hot water for the tea. Key was by the bedroom, looking blankly into the ceiling. 

"Thinking again?"

"Do you think should I call her? Should I tell her what's at hand?"

"I don't really think you should ask me those questions Key. They're questions only you can answer. Oh, wait. The water's boiling."

Amber was a right. It was something nobody else can answer. It was something only he can answer. Honestly speaking he knew the answer ages ago.

----------------

Morning came early, Amber woke up with the fireplace, still has some life to it. She looked around and Key was nowhere to be found, not in the kitchen nor in the bathroom. She checked the bedroom only to find a note.

Went off to somewhere today. I'll be quick. I'll be calling my mom by noon. I'll be back there by then. Stay safe. -Kibum

Though she know he'll be safe, something didn't feel right. Something was up.

Last time he was there was when he and Minho visited Gayoon's grave. Just as he said by then, he didn't like going to that place.It was too gloomy, too depressing. The aura, he didn't like it but he wanted to visit his father's grave. He missed his dad. He was someone he can always lean on and depend on. Though his dad never really understood the dynamics of the life of the elite, he remained as a father to Key despite the divorce he had to go through with Chunyi.

As soon as he came closer to his father's grave, he saw a woman sitting by the grave. She was clothed in fancy clothing. Much to Key's surprise, she was a guest he least expects to be there.

"Eomma? Where have you been?! We've been calling."

She turned around. Indeed it was Chunyi. She'd been crying. It was obvious; eyes red, runny nose. Key sat by her, not long after she hugged her son and cried even more.

"My son, Kibum.. Where have you been?!" She cried on. He didn't respond. He just sat there. He let her. He waited until she had stopped to even try to have a conversation with his own mother.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was out of the country for several days. Also, I came to see your father, what else. I wanted to talk to him about you. I asked him where did I go wrong, or what did I do wrong to have my own son, treat me as a complete stranger. Come on Kibum.. Are you going to deprive me of visiting my own husband's grave?"

"Why do you care? You never cared."

"That's not true Kibum. I loved your father.."

"Loved?! Wow. Seriously.. Don't pull that card, mom. Not once, did I see you show affection for dad! Not in the entirety of my memory were you affectionate towards him.You seriously ask, why I treat you like that?! You should know the answer mom. You deprived me of a family. You deprived me of the experience of having a father. If he'd been with us..."

A slap.. A huge slap to face is what Key felt right before he could finish his words. It was his mother. Chunyi slapped him as she continued to shred tears.

"You don't know what I had to go through Kibum. You don't know why I had done the things I did.." She fell on her knees after. Key caught her and guided her to a near bench. 

"Tell me, eomma. For once in my life, be honest with me. No more games, no more tactics.. Just tell me."

"What I said was true. I loved your father. It is true that having you wasn't exactly planned and it was because I was drunk and all. That was no joke. Initially, I hated him. I hated your father for what happened to me. I didn't want to get pregnant. I always said I was too young to be a mom. By no means, did I plan to abort you but I had no intention of marrying your dad.  But he proved me wrong otherwise. He took responsibility. He took care of me when I had a difficulty during my pregnancy. He put up with my bratty attitude. We married in secret once I gave birth to you."

"Grandpa and grandma didn't know?"

"No. They didn't even know I gave birth to you. Once they found out, of course they were furious. They threatened your dad that they'll imprison him. I didn't let them. They said that since you were already born, they'd take you in. You'll be raised with the tradition that shrouded our family. Also.."

"Also?"

"They wouldn't touch your dad as long as I start ignoring him. They'll leave him be and stop threatening him as long as I try to cut my ties to him besides you. It pained me Kibum. It pained me to do that to your father. I loved him but yet to protect him I had to do what I did. My parents also threatened to rid of you if I don't oblige. The face of your dad, when I started ignoring him. It still haunts me to this day. It kills me everyday. When we decided to separate for good, I cried myself to sleep for the entirety of the divorce process. To this day, guilt is killing me. If I were given the chance to live all over again, I'd still choose your dad. Believe me Kibum. I loved him. I loved your father very much but we were not meant for this lifetime."

Key had started crying midway the tale of his mom on what had really happened. He distanced himself from someone who was protecting him all his life. It all made sense as to why sometimes, when he was young, he'd hear a woman crying somewhere in the house. Apparently, it was his mom. He hugged his mom tightly. They kept saying sorry to each other. 

After both of them have calmed down, Chunyi said she had to go. Key insisted to accompany his mother. They made their way to the entrance.

"Kibum dear, I should go.."

"Eomma, wait.. I need to tell you..."

In that instant, a nightmare came to life. Once he was about to say what he had to say, a van came passing by them. Three men, dressed in black, grabbed unto his mother. He tried running towards his mom but because of his condition, he didn't have the chance to catch up. Silent tears had started falling. He couldn't do anything. He couldn't even grab and take hold of his mother to even try and save her. The look on her face, she shouting his name. All it took was three seconds and she was gone. He knew who was it. It was them. 

Frantically, he reached into his pocket and called Amber and Minho.

------------------------

"She's gone. It's my fault. I should've been more careful.." Key kept on chanting as he cried in Amber's arms. The girl had no words to say. 

"Amber, what am I going to do??" Key asked. He looked so helpless and vulnerable. Key not only beat himself for what happened, it also pains him that why then? Why when they have decided to patch things up, that she had to be taken away just like that. All of his thoughts were then cut short when Minho came in.

"Taemin called me. The police are trying to look into possible surveillance videos and see the plate number of the van that took aunt Chunyi.. Also, Key.. This was brought to the office late this afternoon. Again, it was anonymous. Key took it and hurriedly opened it. 5 words, 5 mere words were enough to make him fall even further on his knees.

One down, two to go..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dandandan! A little more something something there and yes, Chunyi is gone.. Well not really dead, but taken away. Any idea who the other two the person is reffering to? Thoughts, people? :D
Pardon any errors, I wrote this late at night while I feel sleepy. hihi ^^ Stay tuned!