Chapter 20- Ponder

Superiority Complex

"Forget". It's such an ironic word for her. It's such a contradictory to everything she's been going through for the past couple of days. It's such a contradictory that the one person who keeps telling her to forget can't forget his own demons. He's someone who can't forget. It's ironic. It's weird. It's frsutrating. It's annoying.. There are too many words to describe how it feels; too many words to express how she feels.

--------------

She counted with her fingers. It's been three days since she last went to work. If only she wasn't in a position that can cannot go to work, she bet she'd be fired months ago. She'd always go to work irregularly, sometimes even not for a week. It highly depends upon the situation. Amber also bets that Woori and the others would be worried yet again on why she isn't showing up. She also thought about Sulli who'd always act like a little sister. She missed them but she had some things to attend to. 

"Amber?" Suho remarked.

"Yes?"

"Are you sure you're not going to work today again? I mean, I can take of him for you. It's not the first time he's been this sick."

"It's okay.. I mean, it's not such a big deal if I don't go to work today. I've done it many times and I bet people would barely notice me gone. I mean, except for a few people but I'll be fine. I made a promise as well. I've got to keep my word."

"I understand. I'll be downstairs if you need anything.."

Suho closed in on the door and went downstairs. Amber was left in Key's room. He'd been running on a recurring fever the past few days. They've already called in his personal doctor but he said it was nothing serious or fatal. He just has a weak immune system at the moment perhaps due to the stress or lack of sleep but he said, other than that, heavy medication wasn't necessary.

Key'd spend most of the day sleeping, as if trying to make up for the lack of sleep he'd had for years. It became a lifestyle and him getting a fever that night he slept in Amber's room somehow triggered his current condition.

"Amber.." A voice mumbled.

"Hmm?"

"I'm hungry.."

"Okay, I'll just.."

"No.. Don't leave me. Please.. Forget it. I'm not hungry.."

Key was mocking Amber who was comfortably seated at the edge of Key's bed. "Seriously.. Stop playing."
Key giggled and grabbed Amber by the waist and held her down by his side. "No! You're not going anywhere.."

Amber wriggled and went crazy to have Key let go. It was a funny scene. She went to her last resort and tickled Key who laughed like crazy. Both were laughing and Amber only stopped when Key pleaded to her to stop. They were lying side by side, face to face.

"I'm going to get food. Stay here okay?" Amber imposed. The sick lad only pouted while nodding.

The wall between the two of them has been broken but their was an awkward air surrounding them. Amber would make sure that they wouldn't start to talk about the "kiss" they had that night, the encounter they had that night. It would be weird. It would be embarassing. Key isn't aware of her true feelings. She's afraid that if he knew, things will get worse and they might even grow apart especially if he wouldn't feel the same. She has had too much pain that  year and a heartbreak would only make things worse. A heartbreak is the last of the things she'd want. Her top priority is still her sister's well-being.

-----------------

It was another busy day in the office and Minho was yet again in charge. He's been handling things for the past few days and things are going by just fine. But Key's irresponsibility and absence frustrates him. Key hasn't called or made any contact to the office on his whereabouts or what he's doing. It irks him because Key is older and therefore should be held more responsible. Onew was out of the country yet again and Jonghyun was on leave for a week for some unknown reason. Taemin was busy as well. It frustrates Minho that he has to carry the burden of his and Key's work. 

Added to that, Amber is missing as well. Amber was someone he can consider a "buddy". They share the passion for Kim Jongsun's art. He was hoping that getting the chance to talk to her would ease his tension but turns out she isn't in work yet again. Sulli passed by. Believing she was a familiar face around Amber, he asker her.

"Excuse me?"

"Huh? Me?" Sulli asked pointing to herself.

"Yeah.. I was just wondering. Did Amber go to work today?"

"Uhm. No, she didn't.."

"I see. Thanks." and he sped off.

------------------

An alluring scent filled the room when his door opened. It was a sweet smell and felt appealing. Amber was carrying something, it was a bowl, a smoking bowl.

"I asked Suho to make you some porridge, the same porridge Jackie makes for me when I'm sick.. It's really good. Hope it helps.."

Key's face brightened up when he jnew the food was for him. He was such a kid. Amber didn't mind it though. She loved that she can take care of Key like that. He was doing no harm so it was all good.

"Are you sure this is good?" Key asked. Amber nodded. As Key was about to take a sip of the tempting porridge that was in front of him, a loud ram on the door downstairs was heard. Both faced the door with horror written on their faces as soon as shouting was evident and with the person's voice being all too familiar.

-----------------

"Where the hell is Key?!" Minho shouted. He looked angry and was a little but out of control. Suho was telling him that Key wasn't there and that he should just come back at another time. Minho didn't believe it and escaped from his grasp headed upstairs. He knew very well where Key's room was.

"Hey Key!" he shouted as he rammed through the door. What he saw surprised him. Indeed he was asleep and pretty much alone in his room. He walked closer and realized he was sick.

"What the hell Key.. If you were sick, you could've called at least I'd know what to do with the clients.. She's dead worried for you. She misses you Key but she knows she has no right.. I know you miss her too Key.. You just told me a week ago, remember? The three of us have known each other for so long. Talk to her Key. Speaking of, until now, I haven't met your wife.. Ugh.. Introduce me to her soon. I want to know if she's the right for you Key. As your cousin, I care for you. Sorry for the fuss but I was just frustrated believing you were being irresponsible yet again.."

Minho left Key's room and apologized to Suho once he left. Thumping was heard underneath Key's bed. Amber crawled out. Key was awake the whole time Minho was talking and Amber practically heard everything. She grew silent as she handed the prridge back to Key. Minho mentioned something about someone and Amber bet it was about Gayoon. He said Gayoon misses Key. It pains her that Gayoon would always seem the first choice above her. It on her part.

"Don't mind what Minho said. He has no right to judge who I should marry or not. It's my choice so his opinion on you doesn't matter.."

"It does." she replied calmly. "I mean, I think if ever he learned about us it'll be a big deal. He's the ony that has talked to me without you around so I think he'll be pretty surprised to find out that we are marr... That we have a contractual relationship. That we only agreed to play roles and you giving me money. Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have been mad at you when you told me you paid me. I mean, it's the truth right?"

"Amber.."

"I'll be downstairs. Please finish the porridge."

Key wanted to follow her but it didn't seem fit to do so. Amber looked troubled and going to her may make things worse. 

---------------

Amber headed to work early that day leaving Key behind. He was feeling a lot better. She was not angry at him. She can't. But she can't deny the fact that she's irriitated at him, also at Minho. She wants a break from all of it. It was such an emotional strainon her part that she just wants to go somewhere alone. Jackie said to her that she's always welcome to come home.

Amber was at the cafeteria with Woori while the rest of girls are out. Sulli didn't go to work that day. "Hey Woori.."

"Hmm?"

"Have you ever had unrequited love?"

"Me? Why?" Woori asked. Amber shrugged her shoulders. 

"Hmmm.. There was this onet time, around two years ago. I was new here and met a fellow employee. He guided me through the things and how the office works. I grew to like him. I was about to tell him how I feel, assuming thatvhe could've felt the same way. It turns out he was about to get married. My heart was crushed but eventually I had to move on."

"I see."

"If you have some love issues, don't be shy to ask me okay?" Woori said. Amber gladly smiled.

Woori eventually went back to work while Amber was determined to finish the last two sections of the mural. She was about to climb to the pavement but someone called to her. It was Minho.

"Amber! Hey.. I was wondering.."

"Sorry Minho.. I'm busy. Not now."

Amber completely ignored Minho and went back to work. She's decided she'll be going to her house that night. Perhaps for the following nights. She texted Key she'll be doing so. A little later, while she was on the scaffolding, her cellphone ringed.

"Hello? What do you want? No.. I'm fine. Really..Seriously what's with all the questions? What the hell? Me?! You're the one being difficult.. Ohh shut up! I can do what I want.. Sheesh. No! Let it go. Crap, I am so not going there! Oh yeah? Of course I can. Watch and see! Oh shut up!"

Amber put her phone down. It was Key who seemed to nag at her yet again. He was asking a lot questions and it annoyed her. She was certain she wasn't going to Key's place for the next few days. It's a good way to finally relieve some emotional stress. She bets Jackie would be more than happy to have her home.

--------------------

Night came and Amber took the bus to head home. She called Jackie earlier that day that she'll be sleeping over for the next few days. Jackie seemed happy with the idea and told Amber to hurry. She needed a break and Jackie never fails her.

---------------------

"I can't believe her. She said I was asking too many questions when all I asked her was why? I only kept asking her why and she got mad at me.. It's so annoying! ARRGH!"

"She has her reasons. Why don't you let her be for a while.."

"Oh you bet I will! In fact she can not go back.. ever!" 

Key walked off to his room after arriving from the hospital. He had a check-up to ensure he can finally go to work the following day. He was determined and firm. If Amber wants to stay out, fine.. So be it.

---------------------

Amber was back home and just as she expected Jackie was at the door, welcoming her with a hug with a smile on her face. Like always, there is a warmth in Jackie that makes her feel safe. She'd always been her rock and will remain that way. She's the only family Amber has left and losing her will devastate Amber.

"I'm not going to ask what it is but glad you're home Amb."

"Me too, Jack.. Thanks."

Two days passed without any talking. Amber is not going to Key's office even though he asks for it. She also doesn't answer his calls, making it a fact she can withstand days without getting to talk to Key. After all, she has managed it before and she's certain she can do it again. It was also a good thing it was a weekend the following day so she has a reason to not go to the office.

-------------------

Evening came fast and both were at their own homes. Key was mad at Amber for being stubborn and not following his orders to meet in the office. It irks him that Amber can get the best of him everytime and he hates the fact that she seems to be enjoying it. 

He was at his bathroom, brushing his teeth. He then noticed a yellow toothbrush adjacent to the spot where he picked his toothbrush. It was Amber's. She must've placed it there a rew days ago since she's been looking after Key for those days since he was sick. Key stopped on what he was doing and stared at it. Amber has nothing been nice to her. She taught him howto open up once again and it's a remarkable feeling. He finished brushing his teeth and went for his coat and went out the front door.

-----------------

"You sure you'll be fine without talking to him?"

"Seriously Jack, you don't think I can? I mean.."

"You know you're not a great liar.. It's obvious that.."

The sisters' brief conversation was cut short when their doorbell rang. Jackie went to the door to answer it. She opened it and was surprised to find Key, bowing a full 90degrees.

"May I please talk with Amber? Please.. It's urgent."

Jackie was still dumbfounded. "Uhh, sure. Come in."

She felt a little lost on why Key was there. She led the way to Amber's room. The girl was there playing with a pen. She looked surprised when she saw both Her sister and Key by the door.

"Why did you let him in?"

"To put you out of your misery.. Talk okay? Cause I'll be going somewhere.."

Jackie pushed Key inside and  shut the door. Amber backed off while Key sat down on the floor with her. A moment of awkward silence followed. Jackie hated the fact that her sister can read everything about her. She was like a ball of knowledge that would know what she was going through.

"Amber.."

"Just go. I told you I wouldn't be going home for a while.."

"Amber, please listen.."

"I don't get why you have to come over and bother us like this.."

"Just listen to me.."

"You know whaaAAAAAGGHHH."

Amber fell on her back. She wanted to nag but something was stopping her from doing so. It was Key. She was pinned down, underneath him. He kissing her. She was too shocked to react. It was a long kiss. Key let go after to grasp for air.

"Go back home.. Please." he said while looking straight into her eyes.

"It's different when you're not home. I'd always seek for you unconsciously. Every darn time.. When I eat, I look for you. When I stay by the garden, I'd imagine you were there talking with me. I want to eat more of your porridge. I'd visit your room thinking you'll come in through the door anytime. I'd look for you when I come home. I get annoyed when you don't talk to me.. I'm miserable without you. I can no longer go through a day without thinking about you.."

"What are you trying to say?" Amber asked.

Key leaned forward yet again to kiss Amber. This time a lot shorter. He then rested his head in Amber's shoulder. "I've fallen for you. Call me crazy but I love you Amber.. I was too scared to admit it to myself. But I do. I love you and I need you beside me."

Amber covered her eyes with her arms. She began to cry and talk in between her sobs

"I hate you.. You don't seem to care about how I feel. You'd nag me and talk about Gayoon with Minho.. And now you're here saying you love me?! What's up with that Key?"

"I'm.."

"But I hate it even more thatvI can't hide my happiness. These tears, I can't stop them from showing how happy and relieved I feel. I love you too, idiot. I'm inlove with an like you but I don't care cause I do.."

Key laughed and hugged Amber. "You're so cute." 

He was laughing at her. She can't stop crying. It's been said and it was mutual. She was happy. He was happy. That's all they could wish for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update.^^ I wanted to post one since I'll be busy this weekend due to reports and exams I'll be having the following week. So, yeah. A confession. :)) Things are yet to progress from this. More revelations are about to come. Please stay tuned for what is bound. I already have a line up for the next few chapters. THANK YOU!