Chapter 15- Avoidance

Superiority Complex

If there are two things she knows in life, the answers are quite simple. It's pain and sacrifice. She grew up knowing that they can't always have what they want. She grew up knowing that she had to handle responsibilty not meant for someone like her. She grew up knowing what is out there in the world. It was an endeavor she grew up and knew how to handle eventually. She made sacrifices and pain is part of the bargain.

--------------------

Amber did what she had to do. If it was ever in her imagination to see him like that, she wouldnt've wanted to actually see it if ever given the opportunity. He was a mess. He was fragile and vulnerable. As much as Amber despised his character, he slowly occupied a spot in Amber's heart. She has seen that though he has an ice cold heart, there's still a little hope he'll melt out of it. There's a chance that the way he'd interact with Taemin is possible to be brought out and shared to other people as well. Perhaps, all it took was a little push and motivation.

"Amber! Hey Amber.."

"Sorry, I wasn't listening." Amber replied while leaning her face on her hand as she stared blankly out of the sky while they were at the canteen.
"Sorry Hyorin.. I was thinking of something else. What was it you were saying again?"

"I mean, really Amber? I've been talking non-stop here and you weren't listening., Ugh. You're just staying with me just because of the fact I'm with Woori, Sulli and Jia. I bet if I weren't friends with them and you weren't friends with them as well, we wouldn't be talking one bit." 

"Come on. It's not like that Hyorin..I was just out of it. I insist, what was it?"

"What do you think I should get for my husband on our first month celebration on our marriage? I mean.. It's a big deal so I was wondering maybe you'd get an idea on what would be good right? Please?"

"Ohh.. Well. A gift? Well, could I get an idea on your husband? What's he like?"

"He's sweet. We met at a local hub downtown. Some of my friends pushed me on stage to sing a song. He later joined me onstage while we sang our hearts out. It was pretty clear from there that we just had to get together.."

"I don't really think a physical or material gift is something you could call special for your husband."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean. Why not prepare a candle lit dinner? Sing for him. Swoon him with your voice. I think that's what will really make him feel special. I mean, the thought of a gift is really what is important right? I mean, a lot of people say that. On a personal note, I think he'll be more than amazed to see you actually took the time to prepare everything despite your busy schedule. I think it's what every married couple wants; alone time, romantic dinner.. You know?"

Hyorin seemed all to surprised but was thankful for Amber's answer. She had to go back to work so she stood to leave and  throw the trash away.
"Thanks Amber. I never thought you'll make sense with these types of conversations. You seriously sounded like a committed woman over there. Anyways, I've got to go. See you.." And Hyorin left leaving Amber who was still eating the mashed potato salad she ordered.

Hyorin was a little off with her hypothesis but it was a fact that Amber isn't really that close to Hyorin compared to the other three girls. She doesn't know what  really is the reason behind it but maybe it's because of the fact that all of Amber's insecurities are in Hyorin. She's pretty, gorgeous, y and alluring; all the things she's not. Nobody has really called her like that and it's not like she sought for such words but Amber thought it'll feel good to be at least addressed like that once in a while. She later on brushed the thought out of her head to head back to work.

------------------

The scaffolding got shorter. Amber asked the staff to remove the top 2 portions since she was already halfway on the mural. It hasn't been stalled as it was a few weeks back. Amber's tutor, Min, is out on a vacation for almost a week so Amber got a break with the idioms and proverbs which she really never paid attention to when she was still in school. The mural top was very flowy and fluid. Amber decided that the center of the mural would be edged, ragged and a little angsty in context. She thought it's a good contrast.

Amber would always change her washwater at the nearest comfort room. She's been warned before to stop it but as stubborn as she is, she kept doing it. The cleaning aide eventually stopped nagging her. She was about to make a turn to head back to the scaffolding when she stopped. Not so far from the entrance, a familiar car was to be found. Amber immediately hid.

She started breathing heavily and sweat was starting to drip. Of all the places, why would she go at the enterprise? She had her back against the wall.

"What are you doing glued to the wall??"

"I'm just scared of..."

Amber turned around to see whose voice it was that she heard behind her. She was surprised to find Minho who was imitating her position..

"Minho?"

"You look so surprised. Yeah.. What are you doing here?"

"Ohh.. Well, ughh.."

"You said you were scared? Are you scared of that woman? She's my aunt. She's nice you know?"

"NICE?!" Amber mentally shouted. Nice isn't the word that could best describe Key's mother. In fact, nice wouldn't be at the list of adjectives at all. Amber still didn't like her smile. It looked pretentious and forced which as it always gave her chills down the spine.

"No. I just didn't proceed because I'm scared I might spill the water on her just like what I did to uhh.. Mr. Kim.."

"Oh, Key? Yeahh! That day when he came to the office looking all wet and dirty? That was hilarious. Well, I've got to go. Nice to see you again Amber.. Bye."

Minho waved his goodbye and so did Amber. Minho was nothing liked how Key would describe him. Key would always say that Minho is the serious type. That he's the one who'd always take things seriously and make a big deal out of everything. Amber didn't really see it. She doesn't see it at all. He seems happy and energetic just like Taemin but doesn't have the same sadness Taemin had in his eyes. Key's mother headed to the elevator and Amber went back to work.

---------------------

"What are you doing here? I told you I was fine right? You just never leave me be. Mom, I'm practically old enough to fend for myself. For God's sake, I run a company. What do you want?"

"I don't think that's the proper way to greet your mother. I just came to visit. Is it so wrong for a mother to visit his son?"

Key didn't respond and only went back to his seat to get back to work. Worrying about his mother's presence in the office wasn't going to stop him from doing his work.

"You haven't called me since the lunch dear.."

"You left and I'm too busy to call.."

"A few minutes is all I need Kibum. Can't you spare your own mother a few minutes in at least a week?"

"What do you want ma? You're not the type that'll appear with out of nowhere for nothing. I know you.."

Key seemed to have read his mother's mind. She did have a purpose. 

"Why haven't I heard any news of you breaking up with that girl?! Kibum, she's not the type of woman I want for you.. I only want the best for my son, you know that right? She seems different. I know a lot of other girls that I can introduce to you that'll suit you better! Come on Kibum. Listen to me.."

"No! Didn't we agree that once I get married you'll leave me alone?"

"Married?" A voice interrupted.

"I apologize for not knocking but did I hear that right? Married?"

Key was doomed. The last person he wanted to know of the marriage heard it.

"Minho! Come and give aunt Chunyi a hug!"

Minho was failry close with Key's parents, especially Key's mom since Minho's mother died early. The little Minho sought comfort in Key's family since the two boys then weren't too far apart in age difference. They thought it'll be a great idea to raise them closely together. The plan turned upside down since Minho is the one Key is the least closest to.

"Why do you look so surprised Minho? Didn't you know about it?"

"No. I'm not informed about it.."

"Aww, I see. Well, your Kibum hyung is married.."

"Key, is this true?" Minho asked.

Key had no other choice but to say it was the truth. Minho looked happy for him which felt a little awkward. Minho congratulated Key and eventually left since he only needed to hand over some papers from Jonghyun who requested another set of men on the field.

"I was saying.."

"Look mom. I'm not changing my mind..Please just leave."

"You'll regret this Kibum. I'm telling you, she's not the woman fitted for a man like you.."

Chunyi left. Key didn't take his mother's threat seriously. She may seem psychotic but threats aren't things she really live up to. They're pure bluff if you're going to ask Key.

His mother's threat is the least of the things he's worrying about. He has another thing in mind. 

-----------------------

Amber came home late that night. Suho welcomed her on the door. He was curious where she had been all afternoon. She only said she visited her sister since she promised they'll visit their father's grave together. Time flew with their conversations that she didn't notice the time.

"Key is in his room. He was asking where you where but I didn't know how to respond. Just pass by his room before you head to yours.."

Amber felt hesistant to enter Key's room. She closed her eyes and sighed before she turned the door knob. Key was miraculously sitting on his bed watching television.

"Where have you been?"

"I was out with my sister. We visited our dad's grave."

"I see. Uhhmm. I want to say something to you.." Key said. Amber froze. "What?"

"Thank you.. For the other night. To be honest, I don't know what happened after. I even barely remember what went on in the bar downstairs.. I was too intoxicated and I don't even remember the things I did or said. But Suho hyung told me to apologize.. I found you were cut by me. I was wondering why you had bandages wrapped around your right hand.."

Key bowed his apologetically. Amber held her hand and hid it. "It's okay.. Uhmm. I've got to go. I'm really sleepy. Good night.."

Amber quickly sped off Key's room to sleep. The latter did the same as well.

-------------------

The following days have worked out the same as to how that work week started. Key was busy with work but as much possible finish everything in the office. He realized he's more effiecient that way. He'll enjoy himself when he gets home as Amber told him to take a break from all the work. It helped him a lot and he feels a lot less stressed than he used to. Amber on the other hand would always go home late that week. She'd always say that she's with her sister or if not with her friends in the office. They barely ate together that day which bothered Key a little bit.

"Is she really that mad with what happened to her hand? I mean, I didn't intend that to happen anyway. I feel apologetic but why does it feel like she doesn't want to accept my apology at all?"

"Did she say she didn't want to accept your apology? If it didn't come from her, stop thinking about it. She's practically 'single' if you're going to think about it Key. I mean.."

"I know what you mean hyung. But still.. It was part of the deal for her to do 'wife' duties.."

-----------------------

It was a Friday evening and Amber went home late. She was out with Hyorin who kept her company the entire week. The girl treated her to dinner and noraebang that night as a sign of thanks. Hyorin mentioned how much her husband enjoyed the candlelit dinner and song number she prepared during their first month celebration since their wedding. She mentioned how much her husband practically can't let her go that night. Amber didn't want to the latter details saying it's too much to handle.

"I'm home.."

No one answered. Amber removed her shoes and headed upstairs to change and go to sleep. She thought that Key must've been out since the limo wasn't outside. She placed her bag down at the receiving area opposite the door of her room to check if she left anything back at the office. She could just text the security to keep it for her until she goes back to get it either the following day or the closest work day.

"Did I forget something?" She kept on mumbling.

She was too preoccupied in digging through her things that she barely noticed Key was walking out of his room. He approached the girl. 

"You're avoiding me.." 

Amber stopped on what she was doing and slowly faced Key. "What?"

"You're avoiding me.. You're obviously avoiding me.."

"I'm not. Stop it.. I'm not avoiding you.."

Amber was attempting to stand up but Key walked closer thus she remained in her seat. He was now towering over her which made Amber avoid his gaze.

"I'm sorry. Please just accept my apology?" Key said and after knelt on both knees with his head bowed. He soon held Amber's hand. She tried to let go but he only stopped it by tightening his grip. Amber has no clue on what Key was doing. She was only sure that that they were going somewhere to who knows. They were in front of the mysterious door. Amber thought that Key might open it but instead he pulled something from the ceiling. It was a set of stairs surprisingly leading to somewhere big. Amber was now more of excited that wanting to let go.

"Before we head upstairs, can you close your eyes?"

"But.."

"Just close them!"

She did as she was told. She closed her eyes tightly, wanting to take a peek but he might back out on showing what it was if she opened them. He slowly guided her up the stairs. They were just a few ones but rather high. She almost tripped on one.

"Wait here.."

Key ran off not so distant and something clicked. Amber felt that lights were .

"Okay, open your eyes.."

Amber opened her eyes which were slowly adjusting to the light. She can't figure what trouble Key did but shock only came to surprise her. She faced Key, looking too surprised.

"Key? This..."

"I figured you needed one. I don't know what else to think of, so I figured this would do. This has an overview of the garden downstairs.."

Amber unconsciously ran towards Key and gave the lad a hug. She kept saying thank you over and over only to stop when she came to her senses. She cleared and was at loss for words.

"Sorry.. I didn't mean."

"No.. At least I know you're not technically ignoring me. Just, I mean.. Did I say anything? Do something? I don't remember so.."

Amber only faced Key, shushing his lips with her finger, and smiled. She then pinched his cheek so casually and giggled. "I'm not mad, okay? I just wanted some alone time this week. You didn't have to do this but thank you. I've never had a studio this big before.. Whatever you did that night? It's my secret and a secret for me to keep to myself.."

Key only smiled back with a light smack removing Amber's hand. The thing he's been worrying about was finally off the list.

--------------------------------------------

He held their picture in his hand. How he missed those days when he all they had to do was share some smiles, some laughter. He missed those days when he can hold their hands and say how much he loves them. If he was given the chance, he wanted things to work out differently. He wanted things to turn out differently. But no, they were gone and that's that. 

"Just a little more.. It'll all come to play. After all these years. Nothing's going to stop me. Nothing or no one..I swear.."

======================================================

T^T Smack me or punch me in the face! I'm really sorry for not updating so long. I wanted to write this over the week but that moment every single day you're busy with Chemistry and Biology plates.. It's tiresome. To my readers, I'm really sorry! But please accept my apology with this chapter.. I don't want to give hints just yet, I think? I mean..yeah. There's not much I could say about it but slowly I'll be unfolding the Keyber romance! Teehee ^^ I don't know what's taking me so long for them to unfold but yeah. Maybe this fic will go on for some time. :D Please be patient with me! I'll post an update as soon as I can. Thank you for staying with me!! :D