Chapter 24- Pregnancy Woes

Superiority Complex

She lost her. She lost the one person she always thought that would be there for her. They made promises that they would be supporting each other, that they'll have each other's backs.. It's been a month. The weather is turning cold and their once broken but mended home had no one to contain. It was no longer the same to be honest. Things have progeressed for her. Her sister's wish for her to be happy  with someone she can trust has come true. She wishes she could share it with her sister..But it was never going to happen anymore.. Not in this lifetime.

--------------------------

She was standing there in front of their one storey house which had been in the area for years. It was old, damp, ricketty but it was home. The most important years of her life were spent there and looking at it, knowing she can no longer go back to it breaks her heart. They've cleaned out Jackie's things weeks ago and most of their furniture had been either taken out or brought to charity. It was still something she had to deal with. Jackie's death has been too much to bear for her that after the first incident of fainting, she had to be brought to the hospital yet again after a week due to her low blood pressure. She had to be admitted for three days since it could risk the baby's health if she doesn't take care of herself.

"You've been standing there since we got here. You need to rest Amber.. Remember what the doctor told you?"

"I know.. I musn't get tired. Don't worry.. I won't be staying for long. I just need to get some of my clothes left behind and then we can go. It's about time I let go of the house anyway.. No one is going to live here so what's the point of keeping it under my name."

"You don't have to. I can pay the realty tax every year if you want to keep it? It's not much since the house is relatively small."

"No.. It's okay. I might as well bury the memories of this house with my dad and sister. I bet they'll be wanting to do the same."

Key put his arm around Amber's shoulder and caressed it. He couldn't be more proud. She being so strong despite the tragic experiences she's had. She's been attentive. Key appreciate Amber's will power to push through so that the baby's health was prioritized.

"Come on. We have to go.."

They walked away from the house, knowing that they'll never be turning back. The decision has been made and that's that.

---------------------------

Amber was out of work for more than a month. Woori and the others get the chance to visit her whenever they can. Min, her Korean tutor, also visits frequently and still conducts some lessons. The girl can't be more than happy for Amber. It was inevitable though that Amber misses Jackie. There were random days that she would just stare out the window and  miss her sister. In fact, her studio in the attic was already filled with Jackie's portraits or if not, memories of their favorite places.

It was a Tuesday and Amber was at her studio yet again. Her pregnancy is still a little critical but so far the doctors are positive that her pregnancy will be better as long as she doesn't stress herself too much. In fact, Key has forced her to only go to the office twice a week to work on the mural. He said that they were never in a hurry to finish it. He always reminds Amber that her pregnancy was top priority.

"You're here again.."

"I can barely go to work so I might as well do something.."

"Wouldn't the paint be toxic for our baby?" Key asked as he hugged Amber from the back.

" I use watercolor Key.. They're all water based so it's no big.. There aren't any toxic smells and such so don't worry about me. Painting is the only leisure and entertaining I can do here.."

"I'm just concerned that's all.. How have you been? Still having morning sickness?"

"Slight? Not as bad as it was during the first few weeks. I can't believe I'll be more than a week away from the start of my third month. It's only just those one moment when I was alone in this house that I felt there is this life within me. I'm really happy."

Key smiled and kissed his wife gently on the cheek. "Come on.. I'm tired. Let's go to bed."

Amber took her husband's hand and stood. It's been a long day for her and a good night rest would be the perfect solution.

--------------------

Amber isn't the only that has gone a change in almost three months. November is one of their busiest months since most of the clients are rushing them to finish most of the projects before snowfall begins. Previously, Key would be angry and frustrated at everyone in the company when November comes. It was evident however that he was calm and reserved. Jonghyun called his attention.

"Isn't this new? November is like the month when you're worse than a woman who's going though her menstruation.."

"What are you talking about hyung?"

"Well, in case you didn't notice, our employees wouldn't even dare to greet you.. It's just something new. Is there something we don't know about?"

"Well.. Let's just say I'm excited for something.."

"What something? Come on! Spill it to your hyung." Jonghyun then wrapped his rather muscular arms around Key's neck and start to grapple him. Key tried to push him off but to no avail.

"Okay! okay! I'll tell you.." Key said. Jonghyun let go.

"I'm going to be an appa."

"Mwo? Appa? Amber's pregnant?? Is this true?! Aigoo." Jonghyun shouted in surprise. He hugged Key and was really happy for his cousin. Onew soon came in and looked a little bewildered on why the boys were acting the way they were. The two didn't notice and Jonghyun kept shouting congratulations and how happy he is that Key will be a dad.

"Key? You're going to be a dad?" Onew asked. Jonghyun has stopped jumping. "Yeah, he is." Jonghyun replied.

"Wow Key.. I'm really envious.." Onew sounded a little hurt. A brief moment of silence followed right before Jonghyun talked. "Why would you be? You brought it to yourself.." He then walked out of the office.

"Hyung.."

"It's okay..I'm used to it anyway." He heaved a sigh. "Well? We should celebrate shouldn't we?"

"Not today I suppose.. We've got our hands full. Some other time perhaps? Minho isn't around so I'm handling everything as of the moment. I'm really sorry hyung."

"It's okay.. FInish what you have to. Call me whenever and I'll treat you.." Onew left soon after.

----------------------------

Minho was out of the office for that day. He told Key he was going to do something but didn't specify what it's going to be. The latter didn't persist in asking questions so Minho liked it even better. He did mention he'll be back the following day so they wouldn't have to worry. He wanted to relax that day and there was only one of two people who can make him. 

A faint knock was heard on a wooden door.

"Come in."

"Sorry I haven't seen you in a while. Some things happened over the company so I didn't have the time to visit.."

She gave a faint smile. Things are looking better for her after her stay in the hospital several weeks ago. She was allowed to be released since the doctors said that she's been stable.

"It's okay. It's not like I haven't been used to it. We've known each other for so long Minho.."

He laid down flowers near her bed. She was busy reading an American book which characters Minho can't really understand and comprehend.

"How have you been?"

"I've been better. I mean, it's not like I don't know how it feels. It just to know there's still a chance for it to pester me but I've better. Thanks for coming over by the way. I don't know who else to talk to about this."

"She's pregnant.."

"I've heard about it. Don't worry about Minho.. I'll be fine."

"It's just that."

"Please.. Don't look at me like that.. Minho please."

Minho held her hand. She gripped it tighter. He's been there with her from the beginning and she couldn't be more thankful for it.

"You know that no matter what, I'll always be here okay? I've been there from the beginning and I'll be there when the time comes.."

"I know Minho.. I know."

She looked a little weak but tried her best to put a smile on her face. He'd always been someone she knows she can rely on; someone she can lean on and cry on, that no matter what, he won't be mad for having her tears stain his favorite suit..He didn't lie when he said he has been there since the beginning. When she needed him, he was there. When no one was there, he came. He's been a trusted friend, there's nothing she can wish for more.

--------------------

Amber decided to go to work the following day. She's decided to finish the mural since the lower bottom is left to paint on. It came out randomly to be honest. There are those parts she doesn't like and wish to retouch but to do so would require more time and she bets Key will nag for doing it if ever. He's the one more concerned on the pregnancy. Amber's thankful for it and she feels loved very much. In fact, at night, he'll always pass by her room to bring in some fruits or desserts. Amber's certain she's gained some weight.

And yes, they still sleep in separate rooms. Despite the fact that they've done the deed, (evidence is that she's with child), they don't feel comfortable to sleep in the same room and bed just yet. It was a mutual feeling and both agreed to start sleeping beside each other once Amber's given birth. They'll be converting Amber's room to the nursery.

"You look bloated eonni and yet there you are eating again.." Sulli remarked as she stuffed in an entire slice of bread.

"Give me a pass will you? I'm preggo.. You'll understand once you get pregnant.."

"Not in a few years but I bet Hyorin eonni can relate.."

"Mwo?!"

Sulli covered , as if she cursed or something.. "You didn't hear anything.."

"Oh quit it..You're caught anyway. Hyorin is pregnant?" Amber asked. Sulli nodded her head in defeat. Amber felt a hint of happiness on the fact that she's not the only one who had to deal with the big news of being pregnant. Sulii begged her to not tell anyone since Hyorin wanted to inform the girls personally. Sulli only knew about it  because she met Hyorin in the shopping mall looking for maternity clothes, it turns out she was a month ahead of Amber.

"It's a relief knowing that Hyorin is also pregnant. It's funny how you caught her buying maternity clothes."

"Speaking of maternity clothes, why aren't you wearing them eonni?"

"Are you kidding me?! Me? Dress? In work? Don't make me laugh Ssul.." Amber then smothered Sulli's face as the girl screamed. Amber sped off but had to stop as she experienced a hint of dizziness. Sulli came after her and helped her stand up. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah.. I'm fine. Sorry about that."

Amber walked on to make her way to the hallway to finally finish the mural. However, to her surprise, she had to stop yet again before even reaching the exit of the cafeteria. It was her yet again. After not seeing for so long, she's back. Amber had to hide behind one of the walls and peek where she was off to and just as she has predicted, she made her way to the elevator.

-----------------------

Ding!

It was heard in the quiet hallway. She stepped out of the elevator and walked. The clicking of her heels resonated throughout the floor. She entered a door without a knocking and plastered a petty smile on her already tight face.

"Long time no see my son.."

"I expected you were coming. What brings you here, eomma?"

"Nothing. I was out of the country for some time and I ought to pay my son a visit before I head back home, don't I? I mean, don't tell me you didn't even miss me? London is amazing as always.. You haven't been there yet am I correct?"

"Not yet.."

Key's responses were always short and a little stoic. A few moments later, his secretary came in to inform him that a client was on the telephone and asked if he could to talk to Key. The lad saw this as the perfect excuse to sneak out and avoid his mother on talking to him. He immediately stood up and walked out of the office. Chunyi heaved a sigh. She's gotten to used to the fact that Key always avoids her whenever he gets the chance. To be honest, it breaks her. Key is an only child and she only wants the best for her son. She was too busy with her thoughts that her eyes started wandering around Key's office. She was a little surprised to find that Key's office had displays of painting and they seemed to be freshly made. She stood up and looked around. A few minutes later, she saw a photograph tucked right underneath the glass covering of Key's desk. Her eyes widened upon seeing the photograph. She knows what it is. She's seen one before. She's cried because of one before.

It only left her feel infuriated.

---------------------

Key arrived about half an hour later and found his mother has already left. It was a sigh of relief for him. Right after, he heard his cellular phone ring. Was it another client? It was almost time for them to go home. But then, he answered the call otherwise.

--------------------

It had been a habit of them. It was an agreement that no written paper was needed for either of them to follow what they agreed on. It's been decided that whenever Amber goes to work and it's time for them to go home, Key would either wait for her or fetch her near the entrance of the company. And as it had always been, Amber was at the front entrance. She looked at her watch and it read 4:53pm. She was early for 7 minutes. She smiled and waited for time to pass by.

5:00pm came exactly and the employees started going out one by one. Some would bid their goodbyes while others would walk pass by her. She smiled at those who greeted her. When it seems like the supply of employees has started running out, Amber started to worry. 15 minutes  more and Key was still nowhere to be found. He's not the type to be late. Never, once was he ever late when he would fetch Amber. But Amber thought he must be talking to one of his clients so she opted to wait even longer.

...........................

..........................

.................

...............

..........

The sun has set and the sky has turned dark. There were no hints of stars. Amber tried calling Key's phone but he wasn't answering it. It was already past six and Amber feels that the mosquitoes were already making her legs some sort of buffet table. She's starting to panic as to why Key hasn't showed up or even told her where he is. Moments later, Key's secretary walked out of the building. Amber stood up and greeted her. The former seems to be surprised.

"Uhhm.. You're Key's secretary right?" Amber asked. The secretary nodded.

"Uhmm, can I ask where Key is? I mean, is he still talking to a client upstairs or something?" 

"Huh? But, no one is left upstairs. I'm usually the one that leaves the office last unless Mr. Kim  have paperworks he needs to finish. He has left around early this afternoon in his car. He said he had to meet a client."

Amber felt a little dumbfounded on why Key didn't even tell her where he was off to. Amber thanked the secretary and decided to head home instead of waiting for nothing.

-------------------------------

She didn't like on what she was feeling. She was uneasy and weird thoughts of what happened to Key flooded her mind. Was he okay? Did he get into an accident? Why didn't he tell her where he was going? All these questions boggled Amber and her day long headache wasn't helping. She would've fallen on her if Sulli hadn't caught hold off her in the cafeteria. Unconsciously, she felt a cold sweat running through her cheek. She started to wipe it only to realize she had started crying. She let out a fake laugh. What made matters worse was that it had started raining and she wasn't able to bring an umbrella. The weather stations pronounced it'll be a bright day so nobody assumed it would rain. The people around had started running looking for a roof to keep themselves dry. However, Amber wasn't one with them. She remained where she was standing and eventually walked off with one thing in her mind and one thing only.

Where is Key?

------------------------------

"This wasn't part of the plan. Things were going smoothly and that had to happen?! Who are they kidding? Heh. My plan is set to start and no one can stop me. They'll be eating at the palm of my hand soon. Eomma, appa..  You'll soon be smiling and we'll be happy. We'll be taking back everything that was ours."

He had started laughing while he held their picture in his hand. It's all a matter of time..

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dadadan! After a week, I was finally able to post this. Chemistry >_< Anyway.. So, slap me cause it took me so long to update. I actually started writing this almost three days ago but I had to work in patches since I always lose thought of what's going to happen next. Anyway, so Chunyi came back. Amber is preggo and Key is nowhere to be found. And the weird entity from a previous chapter is back. Any idea who he/she may be? Leave you guys that question! Enjoy ^^

Also, I'd like to thank Ilonahaku for the awesome awesome poster!! XD HOHO. First time on having someone make one for me. Thank you so much!