Chapter 25- Last Draw

Superiority Complex

She was still wondering what happened that day. If she remembers it correctly, it was a dark, cloudy afternoon. Even though it was sunny all morning, the rain was somehow she felt coming. She felt right in her gut that something was bound to happen and she doesn't like the feeling of it. She went home wet because of the rain, not minding if she'll get sick and not minding if the life inside her would get sick.

A surprised Suho welcomed her. She was quiet and the lad rushed to get a towel for her. A blank stare was all she had to offer. She was puzzled and definitely confused. Key wasn't like that. He isn't the type of person that wouldn't call nor answer. It left Amber dumbfounded thus leaving her in such a state.

It all started that night.

------------------------------

It was bound to happen. She knew it was only a matter of time and it had to be something she was supposed to be prepared for. After so long, after feeling that she has a refuge to go to whenever she wanted to, whenever she needed to, it's something she has to learn to let go off eventually. The people she met because of it was more than enough as a payment. She has to let go of her grip.. Nothing is left for her there and she's hoping something even better will be waiting.

"That's going to wash away if you keep staring at it like that.."

"Then I'll be more than glad to let that happen.."

Woori gave out a giggle. "As much as I want for that to happen as well, I can't let you. Remember, you no longer have to be concerned for yourself only but also for that life within you,okay? Stop being a workaholic and why not take a break? Besides, I think Boss Key wouldn't want you to be working yourself out.."

Amber didn't hint a smile. "Nah.. I don't think he'll be minding it too much..No wait. He won't be minding it at all.."

"What are you talking about?"

A brief moment of silence followed. Amber didn't answer the question. "I'm going to finish the mural today okay? Wish me luck Woori.."

Amber took careful steps on the now short scaffolding and started to bring out the materials she need for the last league of the painting. If she was to finish that day, it'll be her last working day and she can go back to a relatively normal life. Woori looked at Amber and smiled but had worry concealed beneath it. Amber was acting quite weird and she doesn't like as to where it was heading. But trusting Amber's decisions as to why she's acting as such, Woori took off to head back to work.

As she was walking, too much in her thoughts, she almost lost sight of Minho who was walking towards Amber's scaffolding. She didn't like the feeling and decided to follow.

Minho's steps were wide and he was obviously in a hurry. She rattled Amber's scaffolding. It surprised the girl and quickly looked to see who it was. Amber was surprised, not because Minho was there but because of the way he looked and the pain and worry that was resonating in his eyes.

"Amber.. Please, can I talk with you?"

The girl got off of the scaffolding and gave Minho a questioning look. "Well?"

"Can we talk in private? Please.."

As much as how annoyed she was at Minho at such circumstances, Amber obliged and decided to talk to Minho. They headed to Minho's office. What happened surprised her even more. Right after she closed the door, Minho bowed. It was not just a 90 degree bow, he knelt on the floor with his head low.

"Hey? Minho.."

"Amber.. please.." It was obvious that he was holding back his tears. 

"Minho.."

A series of crying was soon heard after Amber uttered the lad's name. Amber bent over and patted his back. Her annoyance was somewhat replaced with sympathy. It was obvious by then that something was bothering him. She helped him stand up and lead him to sit down on the sofa adjacent to the desk.

"Here, have water.. I suggest you calm down even before we talk.."

Minho drank the water in one gulp. Tears were still trying to escape his eyes as Amber continued to tap his back and comfort him. 

"I'm sorry for the sudden breakdown.. It's just."

"Is it about Gayoon? I kind of figured it out since you're quite attached to her and I know you wouldn't react to her as much compared to other people.."

Minho gave Amber a rather thankful look at those words she just uttered. He looked as if he wanted to cry again but instead, he smiled, wiped his tears and sat up straight.. "Uhhm, well. Since you've figured it out.. it is. It is about Gayoon."

"What happened to her?"

"Well, she was ran to the hospital a few weeks ago and her fever has been running haywire. Her blood count also keeps on fluctuating so I don't know what to do.. I can't really talk about anything personal to anyone besides her and well, you.. I needed someone to talk to.."

"Why me? You know that I'm in a relationship with Key.. It could cloud my judgement and not even care for her situation.."

"Because I know that you're not that type of person. I've always seen you as a genuine person. Key wouldn't have opened up to you if you weren't. So I know you wouldn't do that to Gayoon.."

"Well, why call me out anyway? I mean, is that all? Was it because you meant to tell me?"

"Well, that and also another thing.. She requested me if I could ask you if you could meet her.."

It felt as if time momentarily stopped for Amber. "Meet me? But we've met before.. Would it still be necessary to do that?"

"She wants to get to know you better.. She feels it's appropriate.. I mean, she still knows Key and she wants to know understand what you have that made Key warm up and open his heart once again.."

Amber didn't know what to answer to Gayoon's request. Should she? Shouldn't she? It was quite a blur for her and another thing is also disturbing her. Key has been acting quite weird the past days and he's been quiet everytime they'd see each other. Amber wasn't liking the feeling. Last time she's seen Key like that was when they first met; unpredictable, a bit cold. 

"Amber.. Well?"

"I'll have to think about Minho.. I mean.. you have to understand. She was Key's ex. Do you think it'll be easy for me to face her at her request? Give me some time.."

Amber stood and left. 

-----------------------------

Woori laid witness to what happened and how Minho asked Amber to accompany him to his office. She was still at the same spot where she eavesdropped, wondering what was Minho's purpose. She was so deep into her thoughts that she barely noticed Key was already standing behind her.

"You seem to be in deep thought.."

Woori jumped in place. "Boss Key? I'm sorry.. I was.."

"Have you seen Amber? She's not at the scaffolding so I was wondering maybe you'd know where she is. Do you?"

"Uhmm, well.. I'm sorry. I don't know where she is.. I've got to go boss. Papers won't pile themselves!"

Woori sped off while Key shrugged it off and decided to look for Amber by himself. As he was about to head to the elevator, much to his surprise, Amber was at the elevator cart.

"Amber? What were you?"

Amber ignored him and walked on. Key grabbed unto her arm and pouted. "Eat lunch with me, please?" Amber can't resist such gestures. As much as she's annoyed towards Key lately, she can't refuse him. She nodded and they headed off.

"We need to hurry. I need to finish the mural by the end of the day so be quick okay?" Amber imposed. Key just nodded like a little kid. They ate out a fast food not so far from the office. Amber is trying her best to eat healthy but Key's eating habits keep destroying that regimen. He loves burgers and western food. It's not like Amber doesn't like it but she is pregnant and the baby is still her priority.

Key ate happily and even fed Amber some fries. Amber took the offer but something was off. Key was cold and then all of a sudden, there he was acting all lovey-dovey towards her. It freaked her out at some point. But not minding it, thinking it could just be her, she let the thought escape and just enjoy the meal. It was a little past noon when they finished and Amber was back at the scaffolding. For the following two hours, she's been productive and was actually able to finish the mural. The last thing she needed to do was affix her signature and she's officially done. It was a masterpiece for her.

It was a summary of all the emotions she felt ever since she came to the company. She remembered her encounter with the security and how he thought her palette knife was an actual weapon. She laughed it off and finally she affixed her signature. It was done. 

Since it was still early. She's decided to pay someone a visit, making an assumption she'd be at the same place, same room. She took off without anyone's knowledge and went off at a hospital. But before she entered, a flower shop was right across the hospital. She deemed it appropriate to bring flowers since it would be their first meeting after so long. As she was buying her flowers, she observed the array of cars that was parked in front of the hospital. It was a variety. Toyotas, hondas, Hyundais, it was like a market. One car however stood out and she can't be mistaken on what  brand it was. She left the shop without anything and decided to visit some other time.

----------------------

Evening came. Key came home from work and Amber was at the door welcoming him. "Welcome home." She greeted as she placed a kiss on his lips.

"I smell something cooking.. Did you cook?"

"No. I asked Suho to make some fish stew since you always look so tired lately. I thought you needed a dose of some warm stew since you're always so busy.." Amber said. Key replied with a smile and hugged her. They ate dinner heartily. Amber hasn't told Key she's finished with the mural. She needed it as an excuse so she can still come to the company. They prepared themselves and slept. It felt such a long day.

They slept not realizing the following day would be even longer.

--------------------

Amber went ahead to the office and went straight to Minho's office. She was lucky enough to find that he was there.

"Minho?"

"Ohh.. Amber.. Hey! What brings you.."

"Are you free? Let's meet her now. I mean, I don't have anything else to do so I might as well talk to her while it's still early?"

Minho stood from his seat and looked at Amber with such twinkle in his eyes. "Really? You'll meet her?" He asked. Amber nodded. He was filled with such happiness that he literally dragged Amber all the way to the parking. He drove off and they parked near the entrance.

Each step she took was like her walking towards death. Will she talk to her? What will they say to each other? Is she ready for this? She closed her eyes as Minho slowly opened the door. The sight that welcomed her was surprising. Gayoon had an oxygen mask on and she looked quite pale and the several IV drips were injected in her. She tried her best to welcome Amber with a smile.

"I'll buy you something to eat.." Minho said and closed in on the door.

Amber sat down at the seat near Gayoon's bed. The latter sat up and removed the oxygen mask. Amber was about to stop her but Gayoon insisted.

"It's fine. I've been on it since dawn.. It's all good."

"So.. Uhmm.."

"Sorry if I asked such a selfish favor but I'm sincere.. I do want to get to know you. It may be really weird since I'm Key's ex but.."

"No.. I actually admire you're courage. I mean.. Not all exes are willing to get to know the present loved one of their ex so I think it was brave of you to ask such a favor. I feel like a coward to be honest. I'm going to lie to you if I told you I was all game about this meeting but then again? Why wouldn't I right?"

Gayoon gave out a smile and Amber did as well. "She's not so bad after all.." Amber thought.

Their conversations continued on and eventually they grew comfortable on talking to each other. Minho was a liar when he said he'll be back quickly. They started to talk about their respective lives and what their respective interests are. 

"I'm glad I invited you.. I now understand why Key married you.."

"Gayoon.."

"It was my fault to be honest.. Why he became like that.. Minho told me that after I left, Key became strict and wouldn't talk to anyone.. But, oh well.. Nevermind.  How is the baby?"

"Uhmm, well.. After a month, I'll be knowing the baby's gender and well." Amber's words were cut short when she felt a drop of water on her hand. She raised her head and realized that Gayoon was crying. "I'm sorry.. Ohh my.." 

Amber leaned forward and asked why. 

"I'm so stupid! I keep crying like a fool when I know it was my fault.. I left him. I left Key! I shouldn't seek for him. He hates me. I know he does. Amber, how can he forgive me? He despises me.. I can't blame him but it hurts so much Amber. He was all I had before all of this sheninegans happened in my life.." She cried and cried until her monitors beeped. The doctors fled and asked Amber to step outside. Amber ran off as she felt a state of panic.

-----------------------

She went back to the office, while the picture of Gayoon crying replayed inside her head. She went on the elevator to head to Key's office. She knocked but no one answered. She went in anyway and found Key sleeping on his desk, with his lying on the paperwork. Amber smiled. He always seemed like a kid.

She squatted down and laid her face near his. "I love you Key.. I love you so much.."

And she left.

----------------------

It was already past 5:00pm when Key woke up. He wasn't able to finish his paperwork so he rushed to pile them and decided to finish them the following day. He thought it would be best for him to go home since that day wasn't part of the scheduled meets. He drove off. Traffic was killer and for sure he'll arrive around 7:00pm to 8:00pm if the level of traffic continues.

What made matters worse was it started to rain. It was quite heavy and Key wanted to go home so bad. It was a little past 8:00pm when he arrived. Much to his surprise, Amber didn't welcome him. Suho was at the kitchen while the helpers were busy cleaning or helping Suho in the kitchen. He went to the kitchen to ask Suho.

"Suho hyung?"

"Hmm??"

"Have you seen Amber?"

"Ohh.. Didn't she text or call you? She said she was going somewhere.. She didn't specify where she was going."

Key's eyes widened after hearing Suho's words. He didn't like what he was feeling. He sped to head to Amber's room. A section was emptied. His heart started beating faster.. He checked their bedroom but still no trace of Amber. He was running out of ideas until he thought perhaps she could be in the attic, her studio, painting like she always does when she has free time. Key pulled the set of stairs and ran upstairs.

She wasn't there. The heavy rain and lightning illuminated the room. He walked around. He felt lost.. Where was she? What was she up to? Soon after, something caught his eye. A canvas was mounted on the stand and was covered by white cloth. Key removed it. Tears escaped the moment he did. It was a portrait of him.. Smiling while his head was down low. He doesn't know when Amber did it but it was done wonderfully. He picked it up and a piece of paper dropped. He opened it.

-------------------

It was raining hard and the sky showed no hints it will stop. A barrage of footsteps was heard and the loud banging of an opening door resonated throughout the house. It was Key.

"Amber!! AMBER?! WHERE ARE YOU?!" He shouted against the thunder. He was drenched and kept on running towards the gate. "Amber! Don't do this to me.. Please?!"

I used to despise you. I remember the first time I met you and I thought we could be friends then you turned out to be such a snob. I didn't like it.  I said, never will I talk to a man like you.. But things changed. It was as if the world shifted when you offered me the contract. It was a last resort for me. But it was never in my intention to hurt you nor run away with your money. I'm not that type of person and I know you that.. 
You grew on me and before I knew it, I was in love with you. I loved every bit of you and I always will. No matter where I am.. You are still my Kibum.
I saw your car parked in front of the hospital the other day and I knew why you were there.. Don't worry. I know. I met her actually.. She's guilty Key. Her tears prove it.. And I know she still loves you. She loves you and I know you still do as well. I'm not taking it against you. I felt it the moment you became cold towards me and only realized it the moment I saw your car. I love you Key.. but I have to go.. It's not your fault. It wouldn't be and never will be. I know you love me. I feel it every minute when I'm with you but It's me. I need to this for me and our child. If I stay, another heartbreak isn't something I can deal with.. After losing my father and losing Jackie, it would be too much for me to bear and to even risk losing our child because of the stress I have to go through. I'll go insane if it happens.. Don't look for me. If we were meant to be, we're meant to be. We'll meet each other when the time comes and when we're both ready and I can say I can fight for you. After seeing Gayoon so fragile, I can't bear it Key. I can't destroy another soul. I can't bear the thought of being happy while I'm slowly killing someone. I know it's selfish but please understand.

I love you and that'll never change. Hate me if you want but please.. Don't forget to smile. That's why I fell in love with you.. Because of your smile. Smile Key.. Goodbye.

Amber's gone and she's gone for good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dandandan! After a week of not updating.. A chapter for you. I'm really sorry if this was delayed. :( I had three exams last week and another two coming this week.. (What is kill me now?) Anyway.. The next chapter will be a "reveal" chapter. Please wait for it. I know this chapter is a little sad and a little selfish but I mean, you have to understand Amber.. She's given her heart to someone but knowing for a fact she's not the only one there and knowing that she's the cause of someone else's demise, she had to go. Anyway.. Thank you so much for being patient! :D