Chapter 37- Memories and Wishes

Superiority Complex

Key had to remain in the hospital for a few more days. Amber is more than willing to stay and watch over but her work is about to resume in a few days. The principal and the staff left the supposed conference earlier. Most of the students didn't mind the idea of resuming classes earlier. The faculty was a different story all together but yeah, Amber had to work again. She can no longer look after Key as much as she did.

In addition to everything, Key hasn't revealed to Amber the stunning revelation he realized the day before. Whoever was supposedly after Amber was not after her. That person was after him for unknown reasons. Key didn't have a clear idea as to why anyone would want to cause him harm. As far as he is concerned, he ran his business cleanly. He didn't step on anyone, let alone he didn't fight with any of the clients he had or has. 

His thoughts were then cut abruptly by Amber who knocked on the door. She was perfect as always. Key couldn't really wish for anything more. He was frustrated over the fact that he had this injury on him but it was an excuse to have Amber look after him 24/7. He didn't mind the attention at all. In fact he loved it. 

"Someone is here to visit."

Who could it be? Key thought to himself. Pretty much everyone has visited. Much to his suprise, it was Suho.

"Hyung!" He shouted in delight. Suho dashed in and gave Key a long and tight hug. It had been several months since Key last saw his hyung. After going back from his "retreat", Key only had the chance to be with Suho for a very short time since the latter asked if he can leave. He wanted to study abroad. He was able to get a scholarship from a famous university in the United States. Key was more than happy to let his hyung go. Also, it was time he finally learned to live alone. Suho has been with him, almost half his life. He was more than just a helper in the house, he was like a brother.

"I phoned him the other day about what happened to you. I think he deserves to know. I didn't imagine he'll be flying here as soon as possible. He texted me he arrived last night and informed me he'll be visiting."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted to surprise you, silly." Suho cut in. He missed his namdongsaeng very much. They caught up with each other. Suho shared the experiences he had; how difficult it was for him to converse at first, how there are a lot of Korean-Americans in the area, how much he was enjoying his life. Key missed his hyung very much but he needed a life. Most of his life was spent in serving him. For once, he  needed to live.

Suho left after a few hours of catching up. He can't really stay for long since, classes were still on going. He filed for an advanced absence to his professors so they would let him take remedial exams once he left, in case he missed any. Amber bid Suho goodbye as well and thanked him for being there.

"I need to go for a while, the Mrs. Han called me and said the school needed some cleaning for the resumption of classes. The sky garden you guys made are done a few days ago and said I can take a look at it. I called Minho and asked if he could be with you, said he'll be here in an hour tops."

Key only nodded in response. Amber blew him a kiss and left. He desires to tell her about what he learned but he's scared at the same time. He doesn't want Amber to get involved any deeper but perhaps it'll be pointless to do that. She was already involved. The one he needed to inform was his mother, Chunyi. Key was never fond of his mother, even when he was young. Key was closer to his dad. Perhaps it was the social classes. Key's mother was really wealthy. Key's grandparents trace back ancestry since the Joseon dynasty and they were part of the royal court or something. It was just that during the time of his mom's crazy days post college, she got pregnant by Key's dad. 

His mother's parents agreed the two to get married but it was just different. Key's father was of average family status. Things just didn't work out well. Eventually, his parents separated but Key had to stay with his mom. He didn't how or when exactly his father died. All he knew was he did.

Key has talked to Minho and asked him to collaborate with Taemin on the issue at hand, have them trace the origin of the letter. Key would be the one to deal with Onew and Jonghyun, and inform them of what is going on. Key decided to take a leave for a while and have Minho handle things. It would be better if he went low profile, so as to not alarm the clients and the employees. He bets they wouldn't mind since Minho took charge before.He'll make it known to Amber eventually but not soon.

"I've called Taemin and he has asked his police friends if they can do anything. Though they said, you need to file an official report for formalities' sake."

"Is that really necessary? Can't they understand what is at stake here? My life is at stake here, my family?"

"It's protocol. The law is the law. It wouldn't be so hard to file a report. All we need is paper. The rest can be handled by Taemin's friend."

"Who's this friend anyways? Taemin seems really close to him."

"You mean, her?"

"Her?"

"Yes, her. The police we're talking about is a woman. She was a classmate of his back in college. They met in a mall or somewhere. They kept in touch and all. That's how it started. Seems she came from a pretty influential family in the police force, so we're in good hands"

"What's the name of this girl, anyways?"

"Forgot her name, Jieun, was it? IU? Can't really remember. She's to pretty to be a police officer if you ask me, and too sweet. Anyway, when do you plan to tell aunt Chunyi? You haven't talked to her since you left. She's been calling but you don't answer her calls."

"........."

"Look, Key. I know you aren't really close to aunt Chunyi, but she's still your mother. You have to eventually, since she's being dragged into this."

"I will. Maybe tonight, I will."

------------------------------------

The school looked, okay? The classrooms were pretty dusty but it wasn't as dirty as Mrs. Han described it was. Amber did some sweeping here and there; wiping up and down and some washing every now and then. The classrooms were a little hassle to clean but most of the faculty was there to help.

"Amber!" 

"Ohh hey. Eunji.. Wassup?"

"Ayo.. Anyway, how'd you spend the mini vacation we had? Were you able to find a boyfriend or something?"

"Ahh, well. I got back together with my husband.."

"Grea...Wait, husband?!" Eunji asked with much surprise. Amber nodded. "Look, it's a long story but to cut it short, we separated several years back and we're back together. We're better, I suppose. I really feel, he's the one."

"Aww, that's really sweet of you. Good for you Amber. Gosh, wonder when I will get married."

"You'll get one for sure Eunji. You're pretty and smart, any guy would want to be with you." "Yeah.. hope so. Anyway, I should get back to cleaning, see ya around."

The entire school was cleaned in a matter of six hours, longer than what Amber had anticipated but it looks it top condition and ready to accomodate the students once again. The teachers bid their farewells and Amber decided to walk to the bus station and head back to the hospital. However, on her way, she saw several children at the playground. There were familiar faces, since some of them were her students but she remembers distinctly the sisters. 

"Hey kids.."

The children shifted their attention towards her and smiled and waved. Most of them ran towards her and hugged their teacher.

"What are you guys doing here?" Amber asked.

"We missed going to school. We wanted to help in cleaning but the other teachers said we can't so we decided to play instead."

It was getting pretty late so Amber decided to force and accompany the children home. They insisted to stay but Amber pushed them otherwise. Some lived nearby while others had to take the bus. The sisters were the last ones she had to bring home.

"Eunjeon and Eunyeong, right?" She asked. The two little girls nodded. The older, Eunjeon, thanked Amber and apologizingfor the trouble. Amber insisted it wasn't much.

"But, I want you guys to meet a man close to me. He'd be thrilled to meet you two since both of you like art so much.. I mean, if your parents won't worry?"

"Ani. It's fine seonsaengnim. Eunyeong and I aren't in a hurry anyways. Eomma knows we'll be home by six since we went to school."

Amber was elated to know that the girls are free. She wanted to introduce the girls to Key for so long since Eunjeon was one of her brilliant students. They went to the hospital while the younger one, Eunyeong held tightly to her sister. The two didn't differ too much . Eunjeon did look older but relatively they appeared to be of the same age. Amber thought that they might be twins. 

"Key.."

In came Amber and the girls. Key was rather surprised. But what really surprised him was that one of the girls looked really familiar. "Eunjeon?" He called out.

"Key appa?"

Amber was taken by surprise. "You two, wait."

"I met this girl a little before meeting you again. How was I supposed to know that she studies in the school you're teaching in."

Key has asked the little girl to come closer so that they could talk. Eunyeong sat down on the chair and brought out something of her little worn bag; paper and some crayons. The little girl started drawing.

"You really like drawing don't you?" Amber asked. The little girl nodded in response. She was oddly quiet that day. Amber can't tell why but she was. She's not as interactive as she was the first time they met. 

"Want me to help you on that?" Amber asked yet again, Eunyeong nodded and handed Amber the paper and crayons.

"Eunjeon isn't really my eonni."

"Huh?"

"Eomma and appa always say we are twins but I don't think we are. I think we are just cousins. I don't look like eonni.."

"Is that why, you are sulking? Look, Eunyeong, you love Eunjeon right?" The little girl nodded in response. "Then it doesn't matter if you're not siblings or what. Your eonni loves you too, I am sure of that. So smile for Amber eomma, will you?"

Eunyeong felt a lot better after Amber told her that. She smiled a faint smile and hugged Amber. Eunjeon then tapped Amber's thigh and said they had to get home. Amber obliged and brought the girls home. She went back to the hospital as soon as she can.

"We're both fond of those kids, how coincidental." Key remarked. It was then, that Amber caught Key's attention.She had started tearing up. "Yah, what's wrong? Are you thinking about.."

Key didn't need to finish the sentence. She nodded. "How I wish Key.. Our daughter would be the same age as they are.. Seeing them. Somehow, I wish that they are just ours.. I want to have our daughter back Key. I want to experience the feeling of being called eomma by my real daughter. Having them call me eomma is not enough. Oh gosh, I'm sorry for lashing out like this.. But I just wish that our family could be complete once and for all."

Key asked Amber to come near to give her a hug. They wished for the same thing and seeing those little girls only intensify that wish. They need to their daughter sooner before things are too late.

The moment was interrupted when Minho came dashing in. "We have a problem."

"Mwo? What is it?"

Minho paused and looked at Amber.

"What problem? What do you mean Minho? Key, what's going on?" Amber inquired. Key didn't respond.

"Key.. Hey.. Key.. Key!"

"They're not after you."

"What do you mean?"

"They're after me. They want me. I don't know why but they want me."

"Impossible, they were after me.." Key then handed her the envelope he received the day before. Amber opened it and was surprised to see pictures of herself and Chunyi. "Aunt Chunyi? Why is she involved?"

"I don't know to be honest. But whoever is behind this knows who he's dealing with. I don't feel at ease that's why I had asked Taemin to contact the police and assist us and provide protection. Did you ever feel followed or anything?"

Amber shook her head. "Not once, not once did I feel I was stalked or anything. If I did, I wouldn't being going out as much as I am."

"You need to quit your job Amber."

"What?!"

"We need to keep low profile. We need the police have sight of us 24/7. It would be best if we remain at home."

"And be prisoners by our own choices? No, Key! I'm not going to quit my job.."

"Amber. Please understand.."

"I understand where you are coming from, but I can't.."

"Amber, stop being so stubborn!"

"Stubborn, it is! But I can't quit my job. Our daughter could be right in there and I can't walk out on her again, no. I lost her once, I'm not going to lose track of her again. I know you're concerned for my safety Key, but I can't."

"Amber.."

"No!" Amber insisted and she ran out the door. MInho remained silent.

"You were saying.."

"Aunt Chunyi. I can't contact her.."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stubborn Amber is stubborn. I can't predict how long this fic would be running. We're going to the, action? May I say, part of the fic since eventually, several chapters from now. I'll be revealing who's behind all of this anyway. I mean, I have to. I can't not reveal. Any ideas who? or why, instead? enlighten me. Stay tuned ^^