Chapter 19- Letting Go?

Superiority Complex

It was warm. It was bright. It took him a good set of blinks to adjust fully his vision around the room he is in. He tried to stretch his hands but something or rather someone stopped him from doing so. He looked towards where his right hand was. Instead of letting go, Key smiled and tried to go back to sleep. It was a beautiful morning and he hasn't had one in a very long time.

-------------------

A loud ringing of the alarm clock rang and she wanted to punch the pillow so hard and hug it after as tight as she can. But instead of feeling a cold, soft pillow, she felt a warm, fleshy rather muscular thing wrapped around her. In a matter of seconds, she was fully awake to find out an arm was wrapped around her, tightly wrapped around her. It was him. It was Key. As much as she wanted to move and scoff away, she'll be a hypocrite if she say she didn't like the situation she was in. Can she ask for anything else? His arm wrapped around her, hugging her so tightly. It's like a drea, come true, not after she confessed like a drunk idiot last night, it's too late to take everything back. 

"You seem to be enjoying this.." 

Amber sprang up after hearing such a statement. Key was actually awake. She doesn't know for how long, but he is very much awake.

"Don't assume! What the hell made you think I like what was going on?! I just didn't want to wake you.. Tssh.." 

Amber walked away after answering Key back. She needed to walk away. Her face was burning and she felt embarassed. She didn't want Key to see her that way. Not after she made it clear that she didn't want to see him again. But then again, there she was, heading to the kitchen about to make breakfast for the two of them.

She was now at the kitchen frying some eggs and bacon when she heard Keynhead out of the room. He wore a shirt and shorts which Amber owned. 

""What are you doing, wearing my clothes??" 

"I don't know where my clothes are and I don't have anything to wear.. Unless you'd want to see me ?" key smirked.

"I'd rather die.."

Key ignored her reply and sat down by the dining table. "Where's your sister?"

"She's at a friend's place. She informed me yesterday.."

A brief moment of silence followed right after Amber placed a plate on the table.

"I thought you don't want to see me again? Why are you talking to me and actually cooked breakfast for me?"

" I can't just leave you lying in the rain with a high fever,can't I? I'm not a heartless .. Not like you."

Key no longer answered back. Indeed he has apologized, indeed he has shared the truth behind Gayoon but that doesn't erase the fact that he hurt her. It doesn't erase the fact that he humiliated and degraded her. He was actually surprised that Amber took her in. But she's right, she's not heartless, unlike him. 

He stood up. "I should go. I'll be returning your clothes maybe tonight. I'll have someone bring them here. Please tell Jackie I'm sorry.. Thank you Amber.. Thank you for everything. It's been almost four months since we married. I think it's possible to cancel everything. I really am grateful.. Thank you." He bowed a full ninety degrees and turned around to get his keys that were left near the door.

He was about to step out of the front door but something tugged unto his shirt.

"I didn't say that you can go yet. You owe me a lot and an apology.."

"What do you want me to do?"

"I don't want to go to work today.. "

"Then?"

"..."

"I should.."

"Stay.. Stay with me today. Jackie wouldn't be home until tonight.."

Key walked back in with a smile on his face. He closed in on the door and looked at Amber who looked so adorable while covering her face. Key flicked her forehead and walked back to the kitchen to eat. Amber followed as she was rubbing her forehead.

--------------------

She can't hide the smile she had on her face that morning while they were eating breakfast. She didn't want to seem obvious but she felt butterflies in her stomach as she watched Key eat the food she cooked so heartily. Amber just wished they could remain like that. She hasn't paid attention to his gestures when he eats, not until that day. Was it because of the one sided confession? She doesn't know. All she knows is that he's there, with her.

"How are you feeling?"

"I feel a lot better actually. But I don't think I can still go to work either.."

"I see..You do realize I haven't forgiven you yet?"

"Really? Why the breakfast then?"

"I just felt it. But still, I haven't forgiven you yet.."

"Okay, what do you want me to do then?"

"Be my errand boy for the day.."

"What?!"

"Yeah. What you did to me was practically unforgivable and downright evil, so I suggest you agree or face your mother's undying setups.."

"Fine.."

-------------------

"Where are we going anyway?"

"Just shut up. You have no right to object on where we are going.."

Amber was finishing in dressing up while Key was waiting patiently inside his car. He even mocked Amber by honking the horn of his car to tell Amber to hurry up.

"You didn't have to honk you know?!"

"Well you could've.."

"Atututu.. No. No complains.. Just follow."

Key rolled his eyes while Amber only giggled. He actually obliged to Amber's orders. It's not like he's complaining. He actually feels at ease knowing for a fact that Amber is actually "talking" to him. He wants to take the opportunity to make it up to Amber. What he said that night was true. He trusts her. He cares for her and he's scared to feel alone. After the heartbreak he had to go through with Gayoon, he didn't let anyone in. Not even most of his friends. He turned cold and unapproachable. Key would go back to his conversation with Onew and Jonghyun and a different one with Taemin.

"You know Kibum, you seem a lot at ease ever since you've settled down." Onew remarked.

"Yeah.. Onew hyung is right. Since you married, Amber? Am I right? You look more enthused into things.."

"Have I?"

Both nodded.

 

"Key hyung.. I want to meet Amber noona again."

"Didn't you just talk to her just a few days back?"

"I did.. Somehow I get why you married her.."

"Why?"

"She's so optimistic. She could just make you smile. I feel I can entrust you to her and feel assured you'll be okay.."

 

He never saw it before but after hearing the same opinion over and over again, he realized they were right. Ever since Amber came into his life, he has learned to smile. He has learned to smile again. He has learned to trust again and most of all he has learned to lo.."

"Hey, Key?! I said turn left on the next corner.."

"Huh?What?"

"I said turn left on the next corner.."

Key lost focus and they almost skipped the lane to turn to the next street. Luckily, Amber called his attention on time.

"Where are we going anyway?" he asked yet again.

"Just wait and see."

Amber then instructed them to pull over to a building not so far away from the corner they turned in. It was a small white building. Key was quite puzzled on where they were off to but Amber was already going inside that he had to hurry and cope with the girl's pace.

"I'll make you realize that being an artist isn't a lame profession!"

Amber dragged Key inside. It was an art gallery. Key kind of got the point and what idea Amber is trying to prove. He found it uncessary  since he was already repentful of what he said but he can't blame Amber. They started looking around. What surprised him is that he found the artworks rather interesting. He wasn't artsy person but the artworks piqued his interest. Later on, he stumbled a painting in the deeper part of the gallery. He fell in love with it in first sight. 

It looked familiar, as if he has seen it before. Amber came and saw what Key was looking at.

"You like it?" she asked.

"I feel like I've seen this work before.." 

"Really?" 

"Yeah.."

"I suggest you look at the artist before we leave. Come on.."

Amber walked away with a rather petty smile on her lips. Key cringed but did follow what Amber suggested and read to check who was the artist. He only smiled and followed the girl afterwhich.

"Don't be too proud of yourself just because I liked it.."

------------------

Mid-afternoon came and they were just at some park enjoying a few treats. Amber has a hotdog with her while Key bought cotton candy. Amber was going to lie if she'd say she hated that day. She loved every bit of it. She loved that they got the chance to spend with each other and that both doesn't seem to complain. But then again, she can't help to sometimes think that they should go back to reality. She's just a "wife" and nothing more.

"Minho was more enthusiastic than you, you know?"

"What? What Minho are you talking about?"

"Your cousin.. "

"I know he's my cousin.. But what were the two of you doing?!"

"We went to an art gallery.. He seems to be interested in art, that's all. Nothing happened.."

"Don't ever talk to him again.. Not without me.."

"Wait, wh.."

"Don't ask why. Just don't.. I have reasons Amber. This is not an order.. More of a request.."

Amber nodded. She saw how serious Key looked. He started walking away,  the girl immediately followed. They went into the car and Key looked at Amber with  much wonder.

"What?"

"Where are we off to?"

"Ohh.. Okay."

Amber soon pointed the way and Key followed. The latter doesn't really know where they are going. Amber was quiet, seemed to be in deep thought. She thought that maybe it's time to ket Key meet them once and for all, because after all, if it weren't for them, Amber wouldn't have met Key in the first place.

They stopped over in a blank parking space which was across what appeared to be a church. Amber went off the car and crossed to the church. Key followed behind.

"Why are we in a church?"

Amber didn't reply and walked on. The lad patiently followed. She later on stopped and so did Key. They were standing in front of something. Key read what appeared to be an epitaph.

"Hi mom, dad.." she spoke in English.

"It kind of you two aren't here with me.. It would've been great if you two got the chance to meet Key at least once. Especially you dad. Remember what you told me? A few years back? There was this guy trying to court me during college but I refused 'cause I said I don't want to be in a relationship just yet? You told me that I did the right thing. You told me that I should wait so that I could wait for the right person? I did what you told me. I waited and met someone. He's an . He's a heartless bastard and can be so difficult. He asked me to pretend to be his wife just so I can save you. I did but in the end it seemed our efforts weren't enough. I've learned to care for him. Can you scare him when he's being an ?"

Amber then leaned her head on the epitaph. "I miss you both. Look over me and Jack, will you?"

Amber backed off and bowed. She then walked t head to the exit. 

"Amber, I.."

"I forgive you. Today would've been pointless if I won't right? Come on. I need to fetch my things so we can go home."

"Home? Where?"

"Your home. Our home.." Amber smiled. Key ran towards her and they walked.

"What you said there sound like a confession." Key mocked. Amber only punched his arm. "Over my grave Key.. Over my grave"

As they were about to head back into the car, Key's phone ringed. He answered it. Surprise and worry appeared on his face. When he put it down, Amber asked what it was. Key was hesitant. Amber insisted on what it was.

"Gayoon.. She's in the hospital.."

Amber's heart sunk. It was about Gayoon. "What happened to her?"

"I don't know.. Jonghyun hyung called me up but that's all he told me."

Her heart ached. If it was about Gayoon, he wouldn't think twice to worry or visit. She wants to be selfish. She doesn't want Key to go but she hated it that she'll question herself if it was the right thing to do.

"Let's go.. Let's visit her before we go home.."

Key thanked Amber as he dragged the girl to the car. They sped off the church and headed to the hospital where Gayoon was admitted. Amber wanted to cry more and more the closer and closer they get to the hospital. She doesn't want to see how Key will act towards his former lover who is sick.

They arrived in a matter of ten minutes and Key quickly went to look for Gayoon's room. Amber slowly followed. They found her room and Key went inside to find everyone was there. Jonghyun, Onew, Luna, and Taemin. Minho was the only that wasn't  there. They all looked surprised when Key entered. Gayoon showed a faint smile. She looked very ill to Amber. Differen how she saw her the other day looking beautiful and flawless.

Key hugged Gayoon. Amber wanted to walk away. But right before she was about to, someone beat her to the door. It was Minho. Gayoon quickly let go of the hug and opened her arms to welcome Minho. She looked enlightened when Minho came. Bitterness soon came to Key's face. He backed away and walked towards Amber. Key dragged her out of the room and they sat on the seats near the room.

Amber wanted to hug Key. She wanted to comfort him. Pain was seen in his eyes and it looked as if he wanted to cry. 

"Let's go home." she said. Key nodded. They drove home with a tense air. In fact they were no longer able to fetch Amber's clothes. They just headed straight home.

--------------------

It was already quite dark when they came home and no one was around to welcome them. Amber closed the door while Key headed for his room. She followed him.

"Key?" she asked as the lad sat on his bed.

"I just don't get it. I told myself I can go on like nothing is wrong. But I can't pretend everything is fine between the two of us. I can't.."

"You can. You just have to try.." Amber butted in.

"I've tried."

"Then you just don't want to.."

"What makes you think I don't want to?" he started crying. "For the past 5 years, I've been trying to forget. I've been wanting to forget. But everytime.."

He stopped on his speech when Amber hugged him so tight. "Let go.. Let it go.."

He cried on and on. "You're all I have Amber." and he hugged back. Amber later cupped Key's face and wiped his tears.

"See? You look better when you stop crying.." 

Key did the same thing, he cupped Amber's face and smiled. He looked her straight into her eyes. He moved closer. And as unexpected it was, he kissed her. It was a soft kiss but Amber didn't move back.

"Make me let go. Make me forget.. Make me forget her Amber.."

And he kissed her again. It was their closest encounter yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was finally able to post this update. I was supposed to post this yesterday but only got the chance to finish this today. I'm sorry. Huhuhu.. 

Anyway, about the fic. Hmm, the last scene is something I want to address. I have mentioned before that Key has started caring for Amber, but as most of you have said, the feeling of love isn't there yet or perhaps not yet realized. So, yeah. The question is for you to answer. :) Thanks so much. Stay tuned for the next chapter. :))