Chapter 1- The Artist

Superiority Complex

The streets had always been busy. Lights always illuminate the city. Whether day or night, the streets are never empty. They say that their country is a land of opportunities. People believed; her family believed. It's always the same view for her everyday. The lights, streets, stores and people, they always look the same. In fact, there are instances she seems to pass by a certain street and notice familiar faces especially when she comes home at night.

Her profession isn't always something people would choose to have as a living.. It isn't really the most profitable and most stable job you could get out there.. But it is something she wanted. It is something she loves and enjoys. Ever since she was young, she had always enjoyed drawing, painting, doodling; name it. Any thing that is associated with art, she enjoys. Her family saw it and supported her no matter what.

---------------

It was a humid day that morning and rains were predicted to pour that night. Amber had just finished painting a small wall a rich family hired her to complete. It was a simple mural of the Eiffel Tower. The family loved going to Paris so they thought why not have a painting of it at their home. The family is grateful and actually nice. She'd been there for almost three days and they gave her adequate meals.

"I'm really sorry if we can't give you much but I do hope you're still available if ever we need another artwork done?"

Amber just nodded and bowed in thanks to the lady. They'd been more than nice to her. 

"It's not a problem Mrs. Park. I understand. Besides, the meals were a major treat so it's no big."

Mrs. Park just smiled and left soon as she handed the envelope of Amber's pay.

It was quite thick. She assumed it was quite a amount though not large, at least she gets to bring something home. 

-------------

She'd always bring with her a backpack which contained pretty much of her tools and art materials. She loves to use paint and charcoal for most cases. Her bag is pretty old and a little torn but it's still useable. Besides, it's the only thing she could settle for. She's got a lot of other things to worry and spend for.

It was quite a long way back home but she has no other choice to walk. She also prefers walking not only can she save money on transportation, she gets to see the different personalities of each street she gets to pass by. One street is obviously for the rich. Cars would be parked on practically every corner and both men and women wear glamorous clothing. The following streets would be your regular streets. Office employees walking around, students carrying big books on their arms and the like. 

The streets are a treasure trove for her. It's where she gets her inspirations for her paintings if she's not busy working on an artwork that was asked for her. It's where she draws the pictures she'd be painting.

-------------

The sky was quite cloudy and in no time the weather forecasts came true, it started raining. She had no umbrella with her.. Only a trusted jacket with her. She had no choice but to remove her jacket and cover her bag. She can't risk the fact that her art materials could get wet. They were too expensive to replace so easily. The cost of the things she use is no joke so she really saves up to buy them.

"Drat." She said under her breath.

Her house is only a few blocks away when it started raining so she ran. The roads were quite slippery but she can manage. She hurriedly reached for the keys she had in her jeans to open the door.

"I'm home!" She shouted as soon as she got inside.

A woman welcomed her at the door. It was her sister, Jackie. "Hey Amber.. Why are you soaking wet?"

"I forgot to bring an umbrella. Don't worry. I won't get sick because of this. There had been worse cases.."

"Really? Won't get sick? You catch a cold like a baby.."

"Chill Jackie.. I'm good."

Amber has only one sibling, Jackie. She is fairly a smart girl but had to give up most of her career opportunities to look after their father. Their father has hypertension and has suffered three in the last two years. Jackie opted to take care of their father while Amber has to face the responsibility to earn for the family. 

"I've prepared a warm bath for you. Hurry up before the water gets cold."

"Thanks Jackie!" Amber replied as she smacked lightly her sister's arm.

-----------------

Amber finished in a minute or two. She's not really type that would take baths for long. Besides, she has to save up water to prevent the bill go all crazy in the amount. She went back to the kitchen to see if there is food.

"If you're looking for food, there's leftover chicken at the table." Jackie shouted from the living room.

Amber looked at the table and checked what was under the cover.. "All right."

She brought the food with her to the living room with her. Jackie was there and so was their father. Their father can still speak and all, but most of his motor functions were affected by the . He goes around their single-storey house on a wheelchair.

"Hey appa. I got a good pay today.. I can buy you medicines tomorrow.." Her father only responded with a smile. It was more than enough for his daughters to show how thankful he is.

Amber pretty much finished her meal and thanked Jackie for leaving some for her.

"Hey, there are some letters that came in today. I didn't open them. Check them if you want.."

"Where'd you put it?"

"There at the counter near the door."

Amber sighed upon seeing the pile of envelopes there were. She flipped through each one and she got frustrated as she saw them; electric bill, Water bill, phone bill. Bills, bills, bills.. She was getting tired of it. One however caught her attention. It was a business type of letter. 
"KJMTO enterprises?"

"Yoh, Jackie..You know what KJMTO enterpises is?"

Jackie hurriedly went to Amber is.. "No, but it seems fancy. Open it!"

Amber ripped one end of the envelope and opened the letter and read it..

"Well?" Jackie asked.

"It's nothing.. They just said that I should pass by their company tomorrow. They said they need my services for something."

Jackie grabbed the letter from Amber's hand and read it as well. "Maybe they need you to paint something for them?"

"Yeah, I guess so. The address is attached already."

"Check it out.. Maybe they'll pay you well."

"Hope so. I'm off to bed. I'm tired.. Goodnight Jackie, goodnight appa!"

--------------------

And she went off to la la la dreamland.. Continuously dreaming and hoping that tomorrow would be better..

---------------------------------------------------------

First chapter is up! Thank you to those who have already subscribed.. Second chapter, coming up!