Chapter 42-Traces

Superiority Complex

He just wanted to kill himself. It was a worst nightmare come to life. Was it the irony that the more you prevent it, the more it will happen? He wanted to punch the bodyguard he sent for her. How can he not notice that someone was following Amber? How can he not notice that Amber was in danger? Didn't his job description indicate that he had those skills. Taemin and Jonghyun came to try to keep the situation at least under control.

"What the hell is up with you?! Why didn't you reach her on time? I'm not paying you guys to sit around! Aisshh.."

"Kibum! Stop. Just relax."

"Relax?! Tell me, how in the world can I relax? Amber was taken as well! My family. In a blink of an eye, I could lose all of them. Now tell me, relax? Should I relax?!" Key raised his voice.

"Yah! I'm still your hyung!" Jonghyun then motioned he would punch Key. Taemin stepped in between the two of them.

"Stop it you two! Please. Nothing will happen if you two will fight here. Amber noona was taken. That's that. It's just that those guys are one step ahead of us. What's done is done. We need to get our act together and think of a plan. Key hyung, you should stop blaming yourself and the bodyguard you asked for. Jonghyun hyung, please call Minho hyung and Onew hyung and update them on the situation. We need to be systematic. The more we fight, the more we lose time. I'll be talking to Jieun about this."

Taemin headed out. Then, before leaving, the bodyguard bowed.

"Mr. Kim, I'm really sorry. I tried my best to run after them but the car went to fast when they took them."

"Yeah, yeah... Wait, them? What do you mean by them?" Key inquired.

"Madam Liu was not the only one taken. It appeared they also took the family that resided in the house Madam Liu took Mrs. Kim to."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm positive about it."

"Tell this to Taemin. Go on now."

The police went ahead, while Key and Jonghyun remained in Key's study. After hearing what the bodyguard said, something was odd. Why did they need to take the Kims as well? Was it to prevent any witnesses emerging and telling on to the police? But if it was that simple, all they needd to do was threaten them. It was a puzzle that was missing some pieces and those pieces can only be filled in by whoever was behind this.

"What are you thinking of, Key?"

"Nothing, It's just that something weird is going on. I'd understand why they had to take Amber but why did they the family?"

"To avoid witnesses. I think they were taking measures so that they wouldn't be caught. If you're going to ask me, this is pretty scary. Whoever planned this seems to have everything planned out. It was as if he has a blue sketch of the things he'll be doing. What frustrates me is that everything he has planned is achieved."

"I know exactly how you feel. I've been analyzing his methods. It's as if his targets are watched over. The places that they went to, were random. It's impossible that person could've predicted it."

"Yeah, I suppose. What do you plan to do for now?"

"I'm positive that person will call again. I'll have the police come over and track the call while it's still active. I think that would be possible. It's the most feasible plan I can think of right now since we have no leads on their location."

Be systematic. Taemin was right. Key needed to clear his head and not let his judgement be shrouded by his anger and state of panic. He needed to find Amber and the others asap, through any means possible.

---------------------------

There was a lone light she could faintly see across the room. The room smelled odd. It was a scent you wouldn't expect of a prison or dungeon of some sort. It smelled of cinnamon sticks. Truth be told, she liked it. But savoring the scent was not all fun when you are suffering from a headache. She doesn't exactly remember what happened nor does she remember how she ended where she is. It was more than clear though that she too was taken.

The door then opened. A man dressed in a suit came in, carrying a tray of food.

"Eat up. I have to take you somewhere after."

"Who are you? Are you the one behind all of this?! And what makes you think I'll go with you, huh?"

"It doesn't matter who I am and no. It's not me."

The man placed the the tray on the side table adjacent Amber's bed. Amber eyed the man as he went out the room. She has no plans of eating the food. She's taking  precaution. The  food might be drugged and she can't risk of losing consciousness yet again. She needed to find her daughter and Chunyi as fast as she can. If they can't work their way in, she'll find a way and work their way out.

------------------

Once late afternoon came, Onew, Luna, Minho and Sulli came to see Key. Luna's therapy has helped tremendously. Her sentences are complete and she was no longer stuttering. Minho and Sulli postponed the marriage. They made way for the situation. They preferred everyone would be there and out of danger before they even celebrate. 

"Key oppa.." Luna called on.

"Hey Sunyoung."

"We heard what has been happening. We're here to support, no matter what. Please, keep that in mind."

"I will. Thank  you."

"Oppa. Minho oppa has told me that Amber unnie was taken as well? Be strong oppa and believe in Amber unnie. She's strong. I'm sure she'll find a way."

"Thanks Ssul. I know she is. But we need to track where she is. It would ease me a little to at least know her location. Her cellphone was turned off so we can't track it. We're just anticipating a call so that we could trace it. The police that Jieun has sent for us already set up a room upstairs. They'll be staying here 24/7."

"Ooh, that's good to hear." Onew added. "By the way, where's Taemin?"

"Ohh, well. He's upstairs, talking to Jieun. Those two have gotten a lot closer since this case has started. It's not that I mind. I'm happy Taemin is putting himself out there. It's about time for him to date. I just wish his feelings won't affect the decisions Jieun is supposed to make."

"Taemin knows better. Don't worry Key." Minho said.

----------------------

It has become confusing for her. The man that was assisting her seemed nice but there she was tied up, placed on the back of a van in a rather uncomfortable sitting position. She had no idea where she was to be taken but she thinks they'll be heading to where the others are. But other than that, Amber has no idea on what is in store for her. Will she be tortured? Will she actually see her daughter? Her questions were then cut short when they suddenly stopped."Ouch" she uttered when then sudden halt made her back hit the car.  The man then opened the door and dragged her out.

"Woah.. Easy on the dragging." Amber said but the man didn't seem to listen. He continued to drag Amber to door of the house. 

"Stay there."

The man left Amber on what looked like a storage house. It was very different from the room she woke up in. It was dirty, smelled filthy and dark. What made things a lot more awkward was that her hands were still tied behind her back. Then, not so long after, her vision went dark and she was pushed down, her face sticking unto the muddy floor. She tried getting up but the force on her back was too strong.

"So, I guess you finally arrived huh?" 

Speaking was a difficulty if what appears to be a foot is pressed unto your back, hands tied behind and your face kissing the floor. "Who are you?!" Amber struggled to say. As she said it, the person tugged unto her hair and grabbed her. "Can't recognize me? Does a rivalry ring a bell?" Again, Amber was pushed down. She groaned in pain. It's not a very pleasant feeling to feel so helpless in a situation like that. The person then dragged Amber with the use of Amber's arm outside the storage house into the field, and into another room. Amber had no view as to who the person was since she was blindfolded by the person.

"You deserve all of this. Stay there!" And the door was shut.

------------------------

Days went on without a call. Key and the rest of the team were getting anxious. Key is not taking it lightly. He hasn't slept for the past two days. Taemin would stay over and insist on his hyung to try to get some sleep. Key would refuse to do so and would spend the night away drinking coffee. The police would take turns in guarding the machine that would track the call. They are monitoring it 24/7.

"Why hasn't he called yet?!" Key blew off.

"Hyung.."

"What does he actually intend to do?! If he wants to have me suffer, why involve them? Why not just shoot me or have me killed.. This.." Key had started crying. "My family.. I am at a point where I could lose them Taem? I can't bear that Taemin.. I can't.."

"Hyung, get a grip. We just have to be patient. I bet that person wouldn't do anything unless he or she sees you."

"I hope so."

-------------

The following day was a little better. The man that was looking after her the previous day was back. But it was a bummer that her body was in pain, especially her arms. She was no longer tied up but the strain of sleeping and staying like that for hours took its toll on her. She can barely lift her arms because of the pain. A few minutes later, a woman was thrown into the same room as her. The woman groaned in pain. She was dirty. Filth covered her clothes and there were bruises all over her arms and legs.

"Hey, are you okay?" Amber asked as she went closer. To her surprise, when the woman looked to her direction. "Aa--aunt Chunyi?" 

The Chunyi in front of Amber was miles apart from the Chunyi that tried to torment her years before. This was the first time they met yet again after Amber left Key. Chunyi is a beautiful woman. She would always dress beautifully and her skin glowed off perfection. The Chunyi in front of Amber was different. She had bruises, scratches and cuts all over her body; her hair was dirty and her clothes were no different.

"Amber?" Chunyi then rushed to Amber's side, wobbling on her feet. She looked weak. "Amber? Is that you?"

"Aunt Chunyi? What... Wha.. What happened to you?"

Chunyi started crying. "They... They want my son. They want Kibum.. Amber, what are we going to do?? My son is in danger! They, he wants us and use us as baits. Amber, my son.." Chunyi cried on. The woman was weak. She was obviously subjected to some sort of torture. The abrasions on her skin were more than enough evidence. She was also sporting a burst lip. Perhaps she hand been slapped or punched several times. Amber can only imagine the pain Chunyi had to go through. Amber asked the man that was watching over them for a medicine kit but the man refused to give them one. She had to improvise something to at least ease the pain Chunyi is complaining on her side. The person behind this was serious, dead serious. She bets that, that person will not hesistate to kill them if he desires so.

Not long, Chunyi fell asleep and Amber started to hear faint voices behind the wall from the room they were staying in. She gently placed Chunyi's head off of her lap and went closer to the wall to try and listen. The voices she heard were familiar. It took her some time to process, only to realize it was Mr. and Mrs. Kim. Amber tried to listen more intently to see if Eunjeon was there, no voice of a child was heard. An opening of the door was then heard. Faint footsteps were heard and then Mrs. Kim spoke up.

"What the hell is going on?! Who are you, where did you take our daughter??"

"Don't talk too much, that's bad for you." The voice replied. It sounded like a man.

"You.."

"Easy there.. Won't you hug your nephew.. Uncle?"

"Uncle?!" Amber shrieked.

--------------------

It had been more than a week. The company has been affected. Minho would man the company but also went to and fro Key's house to see what was going on. Jonghyun would still try to go on location but some of their clients have started to complain. They were lucky that others are more patient than the others. 

1:15pm. The machine that had been running non-stop started to pick up a signal. Someone was calling Key's cellular phone. In the instant Key answered his phone, they were able to obtain the coordinates of the location of the call.

"Hi Kibum.." The voice on the other line said.

"Where are they?! Where are my mother, Amber and my daughter?!"

"Tsk, tsk.. Hot head are we? Calm down. They're still pretty much alive. I can't kill them just yet. I'd rather have you around and see them suffer. Killing them without you is no fun. No fun at all. Oh, and I know you traced this call. Do as you wish. I won't be going anywhere.. I've asked for a fight, you will fight back then a fight shall commence. If you want your answers, if you want to find the missing pieces of the puzzle, I can provide that. Hehe. I'll be waiting Kibum.. See you."

The call was then cut and the police was successful in determining the coordinates of the location. It was still around Seoul. Jieun has instructed her team to get ready. Minho and Onew would stay behind to look after the girls and take charge. Taemin and Jonghyun would be going with Key to the location. 

One of the policemen handed Key a gun. For the sake of his family, he is willing to fire that gun. If that man wants a fight, a fight he shall give. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another update for you guys^^ Just a little something. And now, I can certify that this would be up to Chapter 44. :) Two more chapters and this fic is done, gosh. It's.. Yeah, feeling a little happy here. Anyway, so yeah. The final struggle will happen in the next chapter. It will be quite lengthy so forgive me if I can't post it immediately. Imma try to make it as exciting  as possible. Some of you have noticed about that something that is happening to someone that is significant to the ending of this fic. Hihi. Not gonna tell what it is, but someone got it. ^^

Also, Minho is not behind this in case some of you are still speculating that. ALL, and by all I do mean all questions, mysteries and yada yada will be answered on the next chapter. Stay tuned! ^^