Chapter 4- Proposal

Superiority Complex

 

Everyone had those days.. It's just that day when you wake up in the morning and the world isn't so nice to live in. That's what it felt like for Amber when she woke up that morning. It wasn't in her intention but she slightly raised her voice when she was talking to her sister Jackie. Apparently, Jackie mentioned that their father needed medicine. She was tired the previous day and her morning wasn't all too swell so she and Jackie had a minor argument but they later on reconciled.

She was on her way to the office when right at the door, she tripped. In only made her day a lot worse. She wasn't swearing but started random words which caught Sulli's attention. 

"Woah, woah.. Eonni, you okay?"

"I'm okay.It's just.. I don't know.. It's just one of days, you know?"

"Ohh, you have your period?"

"No! I was done two weeks ago.."

Amber walked off without waiting for a reply from Sulli. She just wanted to finish her work for the day so that she could go home early. Almost most of the top portion of the mural is almost done so she wasn't in a rush. The company didn't really give her a deadline at the moment so she felt she can take her time to finish it. It also means longer time at the company which meant longer time to enjoy the food and all. Also, she prefers to be not at home. She loves her family but sometimes their problems are too stressful for her to handle.

---------------------

It was a little past 11:00am. Woori and Amber were at the cafeteria checking if they could find anything light to eat. Amber picked out a sandwich and lemonade while Woori grabbed for herself a salad and Iced Tea. 

"So how are you lately Amber?"

"Me? I'm.. I'm okay. Earlier this morning wasn't so good but I can manage..."

"Sulli told me she thought you had your period."

"No, I already told her I don't.."

They sat down and Woori continued to question Amber. "But you do seem off, is there a problem?"

"Not really.. I don't really know. This morning was just one of those morning when I don't want to get out of bed. But of course I can't do that.. Or else your boss will kill the hell out of me.."

"Speaking of Boss Key, seems like he stopped teasing you already, huh??"

"I doubt his schemes are over.. But to be honest I'm getting tired of it. It's kind of weird to play pranks on each other. I'd rather waste my time painting than wasting it on him.."

A smile then crept unto Woori though faint Amber immediately noticed.

"What now Woori, why the smile?" The girl only shook her head.

"Come on.. You're at it again." 

"No. It's nothing really." "Fine.."

The two were about to finish when Hyorin and Sulli came to join them. The two already had their trays. Amber and Woori didn't mind the company so they just let the two join in on the conversation. The two seem elated though which is kind of weird for Amber.

"Okay, why are you two so happy?" She asked.

"Are you crazy?" Hyorin remarked.

"As far as I remember no." She wittingly answered.

"Fine. It's the monthly meeting of the company's committee today. The board members are all bachelors so every female employee anticipates this day every month.."

"Oh. I see."

"I see?? That's all you can say?"

"Well, I haven't seen them so I can't really go all crazy for them.. Besides, I've got better things to do than wait for them at the entrance."

Hyorin only rolled her eyes. She thought that the girl was hopeless in romance. It seemed to her that Amber had no interest in men whatsover.

---------------------

All of the members of the board were there. There were only 5 of them. KJMTO enterprises is an enterprise established by cousins who practically grew up together. All of them came from well off families and they treated each other as their own hyung. 

Jinki was the oldest of them. He is serious on their work. He is busy handling overseas clients so most of the time he isn't in the country. Though he has a tough exterior, he cares extremely for his dongsaengs. He also tends to be funny when they get together.

Jonghyun is a year older than Key. He is in charge of operations so he does most of the field work monitoring the staff's performance. It's been said that the position of the chairman was supposedly his but he rejected it. He preferred a lower position because apparently he doesn't want the stress involved with the position.

Minho is the Vice Chairman of the board. He is a few months younger than Key but acts as if he is orlder. He is the most serious among them. He'd usually scold Key when he doesn't do his job properly but he does care for his cousin very much. Most people have said that Minho is very competitive which in turn sometimes disliked Key's ways of handling the company but he does his job as Vice Chairman efficiently.

Taemin is the youngest. Though his hyungs treat him as the maknae, they are aware of the fact that he is very responsible and mature and takes his job very seriously. He is in charge of finance in the company. But then again, he is always playful around his hyungs when they get the time to relax and enjoy.

-------------------

"Kibum-ah.. Sorry we're a little late."

"No.. It's okay Onew hyung.."

"Key hyung, the head of the employees are asking would their be a raise in their salary for this year? It's been some time since they had a raise so they'd been appealing non-stop."

"We'll get that to Taemin."

Each member of the board presented posing problems within the company. Jonghyun mentioned that most of their external affairs are doing pretty well but two of their men got injured so they had to shoulder a certain percentage of the bill. Key only had him coordinate with Taemin on that matter. Onew didn't have much to say. They had no problems with their foreign investors so there wasn't an issue raised. Minho and Key only listened and presented options. 

The meeting finished in three hours. They had a long time addressing the issue on the employees. Key had let Taemin figure out a solution and have him present his proposal in three days tops. When the meeting was finished everyone left except Taemin. He was staring at Key.

"What is it?"

The boy only shook his head and smiled. Key only ruffled his hair which Taemin didn't mind at all.

"You look different hyung."

"Nothing's changed Taemin.. I didn't change my hair or anything so what are you talking about?"

"Nothing.. You were such in deep thought at the meeting earlier. You're usually more enthusiastic at our meetings.. Today, you were a little passive. Minho hyung did most of the talking.."

"You know too much for your own sake. I'm fine Taemin.. Go on now. Those proposals wouldn't be making themselves you know.."

The boy smiled once again before he left. Key was left at the meeting room. He sat down on his chair and sighed. 

---------------

Amber was at the top of the scaffolding again. The top is looking very well. She was happy with the way it was turning out. It was abstract so there wasn't a fixed pattern on what it would turn out. The mural was based on how she would feel. The first portion she finished was when she met Woori so they had bright colors. Woori has a bright personality which Amber really likes. The other portioned turned a little dark. It was the following day when Key humiliated her. She was still angry so it reflected her emotions..

Not long after one of the employees called on Amber and asked her to proceed to the 56th floor again. She scrunched up her eyebrows as if trying to ask the woman if she was serious. The woman only nodded and said it was urgent. Amber sighed and did so since she really has no other choice. She had no idea what was awaiting her at his office. As far as she remembers their "arguments" have stopped days ago. 

She knocked on the door and went in. Key was just sitting on his chair. Amber slowly walked in. She sat down at the sofa and cleared . Key had one of his secretaries bring in tea for Amber. The girl's eyes widened with the gesture. She thanked the secretary and took a sip.

"You called me?" She finally asked. Key didn't answer as she stared blankly into space.

"Look, I'm busy. If you don't need anything I'll be at the lobby." 

"No. Sit down.." He ordered.

Amber just stared at Key waiting for him to say something. She looked at her watch. It hasn't been 5 minutes but him not talking is excrutiating for Amber. After which, Key opened his drawer and took out a folder and pen. He opened it and slid it so it would face Amber.

"What's that?"

Again, Key didn't say anything. Amber rolled her eyes. She didn't read it. She had no plans to. It might be one of his pranks again so she remained seated. She took her cup and started to take a sip.

Key heaved in a sigh.

"Marry me."

Amber spat her tea and almost choked on it. She coughed and coughed. Her eyes widened in surprise.. "Excuse me?!"

"You heard me. I said marry me."

Amber stood up. She had to process what was going on.. "Woah, woah.. Wait! Last time I checked we hated each other.. Look, if this is one of your pranks? Fine.. I give up. I have nothing else to match up to that.. I can't do this pranks and stuff anymore. I've got to go.."

Amber was making her way to the door. She was extremely creeped out.

"You're father is sick right?" 

Amber stopped. 

"If I'm not mistaken, you're father has and your responsible for your house and his medicine, right?"

Amber turned around.. "What do you want?"

Before Key answered, he pointed out the chair welcoming Amber to sit down. She hurriedly did.

"I'm going to hire you to pretend to be my wife."

"Your wife? Are you kidding me? What for?"

"I have no plans of getting married yet. I'm still young but my mother insists. She's supposed to make me meet with a lady but I can't tolerate her set-ups. We only agreed she'd stop if I marry and find a woman on my own.."

Amber raised an eyebrow and started to contain her laughter. She found it funny that his mother would still mingle with his love life.

"I'm sorry.. But, why me?"

"Because I know I'll never be emotionally attached to you.. You'll just have to pretend whenever necessary."

Amber only made a "Oh yeah?" face when Key said that he'll never be emotionally attached to her. If ever, it would be the same case for her. Key is the last man on earth she'd want to be with. "I don't know.. What's in it for me?"

"As you've noticed I've already checked your background. In exchange for your act, I'll answer his medical bills and your house bills as well. I'll also be adding an additional pay to your salary.. A big addition.."

"So it that a contract?" Key nodded.

Amber was taken aback by his offer. She never thought he'd go to such extremes to actually avoid his mother's setup dates. It was tempting but does she really want to be in such kind of "contract" with him. Indeed they were struggling financially but would she dare to sign a contract to the devil.

"Look, I don't know. This is too much for me to handle at once.."

"The meeting is this Saturday. You've got to come up with an answer.. Your father needs his medicine right?"

Amber stood up and bowed. She made her way to the door. But before she opened it..

"It's an offer you can't really refuse.. You'll be giving up too much if you don't take it.."

"I know. I'll think about it. I'll tell you tomorrow.."

And she left.

----------------------------------------------------------

Teehee! Another update. A contract was proposed.. Will Amber accept? If she does, what's going to happen? Stay tuned and thanks to my subscribers! :D