Chapter 32- Losing her Again?

Superiority Complex

 

The way that he saw her last night. The way she shouted and the look he saw in her eyes. It  meant something. It was an Amber he never expected to see. It was an Amber he never knew existed. The moment he held her in his arms after she frantically ran away, he knew something was wrong. She looked dazed and would actually carelessly cross the street as if no car can run her over. She was never fearful of cars as far as he remembers that is why the more he was intrigued as to what might have happened in the time they were apart.

"You're not telling me something.."

"What do you mean?"

"Last night, after we went to visit Luna, you ran off so suddenly and didn't even give a care in the world as to what was going on.."

"I was scared for Luna. She's a dear friend and I was shocked."

Key knew she was lying and that she was definitely hiding something.

"You're not a very good liar. I know you.. Something is up. You're hiding something from me.."

Amber, without a word, stood up from bed, in all her glory, took her clothes and ran to the bathroom to get dressed. Key looked with much surprise that the girl didn't even respond to his questions with clear answers. He scoffed it off and went downstairs to go back in cooking breakfast. Minutes later, a series of footsteps followed and he saw Amber, fresh from a shower.

"I used your shower. Hope you don't mind.." Key just shook his head in response. Amber sat down so casually and digged in on what Key cooked for breakfast that morning. He wanted to make it special, seeing her enjoy the food he made was more than satisfying.

"I need to go back to my apartment and I have to make a call to Mr. Park why I didn't time in for work today.."

"What, you're gonna tell them you had some late Sunday night session?" Key teased so slyly. The girl just rubbed his face in response. "No. But still, I have to go. Thanks for yesterday.." Without much words exchanged, Amber left just like that.

--------------------

Key went on with his Monday like how any Monday should be. He went to read on some papers and signed whatever he needed to sign. However, it came a surprise to him that Jonghyun came to work that day. He took the opportunity to see how his hyung had been after what happened yesterday.

"Jonghyun hyung!" He called out. The other call. "Kibeom-ah.."

"Where did you ran off to yesterday? Minho went out looking all over for you.."

"Somewhere. To have some stress reliever.. It was nothing you guys should be worried about.. I'm fine."

Key noticed the bruises Jonghyun sustained on his face. He's got a pretty big one on his chin and his lip had been treated for a cut. He never expected Onew could hit so hard.

"Have you talked to him?"

"Not yet Key.. I don't think it's the right time to do that. I mean, I was at fault. I should've looked over Luna better yesterday. If it wasn't for my irresponsibilty, Onew hyung wouldn't  be dead worried right now."

"You two amazed me yesterday. It was the most honest conversation you two have had as far as I can remember. It was a little out of control though since punches were flying."

"I needed to let him know how I finally feel. Also, I think we needed, I needed it. I wouldn't have realized his point unless he told me directly. It came to my senses that indeed, after I told him I'd confess to Luna, he backed off. Whenever we'd go out, he'll make sure that Luna and I would be alone. It's as if my anger towards him was all pointless after all that happened."

"What do you plan to do?"

"I don't know. I'll definitely apologize. Besides, it's not like I can still have Luna back. She's already a Lee."

Key wasn't sure if he heard it right but Jonghyun did say Lee. "Lee?"

"Yeah. He didn't tell anyone but Onew hyung and Luna got married more than a year ago. I wouldn't have known unless I saw Luna's charts yesterday. Her last name was already indicated as Lee. Besides, I've started to date someone several months back and we're doing pretty well. I might as well settle down sooner or later.."

Key bid his farewell soon as Jonghyun stood up to leave after their brief conversation. The older one had some matters to attend to and plans to visit Onew and Luna at the hospital. Not so long later, Minho came.

"Who were you talking to? Jonghyun hyung?"

"Yeah. He said he just went off to blow off some steam yesterday but otherwise he was okay.."

"I hope he is. Anyway, I was wondering if you could go out with me today?" Key then gave Minho a rather baffled look, like a "what-the-?" kind of face..

"I just have to get something, okay? I need your opinion on it."

"Fine but you pay for our food. You asked me out.." 

-----------

The day ended much sooner and Minho came to see Key at his office, telling him he'll be waiting downstairs. Key followed in a bit. The latter was still a little curious as to why Minho would suddenly ask his opinion about something. They had very different tastes when it came to music, clothing and the like. Key didn't bother to ask any questions until they reached their destination. Upon arriving, Minho's reason became pretty clear.

"I've been looking around lately and have been pondering over the thought of it to be honest."

"You seem ready. You look happy when I see you with her. She's helped in easing the pain of losing Gayoon. Are you sure she's not some safety net you're running to?"

"That's what I've been trying to answer to myself before I actually proceed. I want to be sure of myself.."

"And?"

"No, she's not just a safety net. It's genuine. I'm sure of it."

Minho ended up fulfilling what he had to that night. Only one thing was left to do and Key was sure his cousin would do just fine. 

The following day came and ended so soon and it was more than crystal clear that Sulli was flaunting a pretty big rock on her finger. Key just smiled on the sight of seeing the other girls spazz all over her and keep asking who asked her and when. He gave himself a pat on the back since he was the one who chose it for Minho.

He intended to fetch Amber that day and ask her for a night out or something. Once he was packing his things, an envelope that indicated private was laid upon his desk. He wondered who it came from since the name of the sender wasn't indicated. He thought it might have been from Taemin's police friend so he intended to check the contents later that night once he got home. He went on his way and was fortunate enough to see Amber walking out of the school.

He drove near her and put down his window.

"Hey beautiful.."

"Hey dickhead.."

"What?"

"I'm kidding." Amber giggled as she went into his car so casually. He drove off without a word and went to a nearby eatery not so far from Amber's place. The two shared a nice, typical korean dinner.

"I'm really still in awe on how things have worked out for us.." Key said as he tighly held Amber's arm. Something then caught his eye. A series of dark pigmentations on Amber's arm that appeared to be like scars. He stretched Amber's arm to get a closer look but the girl withdrew her hand. 

"Those are burn marks I got from cooking..Nothing to be worried about." Amber said, as she clenched her arm. "Let's go. I've got some work to do.." Amber gathered her things and went first to Key's car. Key obliged but wondered why Amber had been acting so weird lately.

Amber gave Key a brief goodbye kiss before she went off and entered her complex. Key drove to go home and perhaps call it a night.

----------------------

It bugged him why Amber had acted so hostile the past two days. He wasn't sure if it was something he did, or said but he has no clue why Amber had been acting the way she is. If it was something he did say, he doesn't recally saying anything that might offend her. He later erased the thought and brought out his things to see if the paperworks he had to accomplish. Suddenly, he remembered the envelope with the anonymous sender and took it to his room once he found it with his pile of papers. It appeared a little thick. He sat down on his bed, and nervously, he opened it. 

Folders that held Amber's new name at the tab. He opened it and was astounded, in fact scared with what he saw. There was a picture of an ultrasound, hospital records, restraining order notices where Amber was asking for protection and some photos of Amber that looked like as if they were taken from afar. Key was overwhelmed with what was sent to him. Some disturbing pictures of Amber's arms, legs and wrist were also photographed. He was in a state of panic. He hurriedly went down the stairs and took off with his car.

Something, worse yet, someone was after Amber. She was in danger and Key feared for his life that she might be kidnapped, abducted or yet killed if he's not around. Without much care of violating traffic rules, he dashed to Amber's complex. He frantically clicked on the up button of the elevator and hurriedly went off to see Amber at her apartment. Once he opened the door, blood drained out of his face to see that the apartment appeared to be trashed. There were broken glasswares on the floor, Amber's bed was a mess. He shook his head in horror and quickly ran downstairs. The adrenaline rush gave him record time in finishing the flight of stairs. He thought he might have the chance of going after anyone that could've taken Amber. Much to his dismay, no car was seen from sight. He kept on shouting, running and checked if anyone would respond. Not so far from the parking lot, across the complex was a small playground. There he saw a silhouette. He approached and to his relief, it was Amber. 

She was crying; her eyes appeared swollen and her nose looked all red and runny. He collapsed on his knees in front of her and hugged her tightly. The girl was motionless and just sat there at the swing as Key hugged her tightly.

"For a minute, I thought I lost you there. Don't scare me like that Amber. I saw your apartment and I thought someone took you or something.. Please, tell me. What's going on? What are you not telling me?" Amber gave no response. Key shook her to convince her out of it. The girl looked at her, once again on the verge of crying and breaking down.

She then took Key's hand, held it and they walked back to the complex. They went up to Amber's complex, off at her apartment. The girl silently and slowly picked up the broken plates that laid on her floor, as Key helped her since he fixed the bed. 

"I had a perfectly good reason why I changed my name.. Not just because I didn't want you to find me.." She said softly.

"What do you mean?"

"After giving birth, I looked for our daughter didn't I?"

"Yeah.."

"I thought it was just my imagination but after I started asking around for information, random incidents had been happening around me. Even, when I was pregnant, weird things were happening. My first neighbor, as a Liu, had his house burned down. Firemen said it was faulty wiring. Also, as I kept going to work, I'd always feel someone was following me. That is why I changed my name. I felt someone was stalking me that's why I changed my information so that they could stop. But they got worse, even after I gave birth and I lost our daughter. I still felt something was wrong. It only stopped when I moved to this apartment. A car incident was also related. I almost got hit by a car. I was just a few feet away. The driver was unconscious when he bumped into the post. I got scared when I saw Luna. The incidents have stopped but upon seeing her, it all flashed back. How I lived my life in fear in the six years we were apart. It's all coming back. They're back.."

"Shh. Enough. You don't have to live in fear anymore! You can just live with me. I can provide you security so that you'll feel safe. Come on Amber, just go and live with me again. There I know for sure, you're safe. Please?"

"No. I can't.."

"What do you mean you can't?"

"They're after me.. I don't why but they are. I can't risk of having to lose you too.. If anything happens to you, I'll go insane Key. I can't bear the thought of losing you right under my grip because I know I am the reason behind it. Please.. I can't. I won't.."

"Amber.."

"I'm sorry Key..I can't endanger you too. You have to go. We have to stop this Key. Us? We can't. I can't do it.. Please leave."

"Amber, no!" NO!!"

Key was in tears. He was pleading and he kept mouthing no. Amber kept pushing him out of her door. She closed in on him and locked him out. She fell on her knees and cried..

"I'm sorry Key.. But you're not safe around me."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dugeundugeun! Another update for all of you. Amber has decided to step out of Key's life yet again. tsk. What's left of them now? Will these two ever get their chance of being together ever? Anyways, some additional details on what happened to Amber and why she's all psyched about it. Stay tuned for the next chapter! ^^