18.

Hot VS Cute

 

Hwa-young’s POV

It was Saturday evening and I was lying on my bed, doing nothing. I still couldn’t forget about what happened yesterday. But at least I understand why Hana was so mean to me. Hana had a crush on Luhan all this time and I didn’t know it. Of course it wasn’t my fault but still, I felt bad for not noticing it. I mean, I’m Hana’s friend, how couldn’t I see it?

I let out a sigh and put my arm over my eyes. “Agrhh!! I’m so confused!! And about what Luhan said… did he mean it?” I whined. Suddenly, someone knocked on my door. “Yes?” I yelled and the door was opened slowly by my mom.

“Hwa-young-ah! I made too many cupcakes. Could you bring some over to Mrs. Lu for me?” She asked me. *Great! Just great! Now that I’m in an awkward situation with Luhan…* I thought and rolled my eyes. Since I didn’t respond her, she called me again. “Hwa-young! Can you please do me the favor? I need to go somewhere soon so I can’t do it myself!” She said.

“Ok, ok, I’ll do it…but… later!” I sighed waving with my hand, telling her to leave my room. “Okey, I’ll be going now! Be careful at home alone. Dad will come home late and I won’t be here before 8pm.” She said. “Yeah, yeah! Bye!” I mumbled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Later on, I was holding a basket, walking to Luhan’s house. The cupcakes were inside so I had to be careful not to drop the basket. It didn’t take long until I arrived at their front door, ringing the doorbell. I expected Mrs. Lu to open the door but instead Luhan did. “Oh,hey!” he said, probably surprised to see me.

“I… I’m here to… ehhh…. To bring you these!” I stuttered, holding up the basket, pointing at it. “M-my mom made cupcakes ….and she wanted to share them…!” I scratched my head, looking at everywhere but Luhan’s eyes.

“Oh! Well, thank you! But my mom isn’t here right now!” He bit his lower lip. Luhan looked down at his feet and scratched the back of his neck. “Oh, I just give it to you then!” I said holding out the basket for him to take but instead of grabbing it, he opened the door wider. “C-come in!” the boy said shyly.

Hesitantly, I entered his house. It was somehow awkward between us since the both of us didn’t know what to say. Luhan took the cupcake basket away from me and went to the kitchen to make me some drink.

Sitting on the couch, I looked around even though I knew how his house looked like ever since I could stand on my feet. Mr. and Mrs. Lu are my parents best friends since they were still in high school, so Luhan and I were like siblings. The Lu’s treated me like their own daughter and mom and dad like Luhan very, very much too.

Soon, Luhan came back with two glasses of juice and sat down across of me on the couche. Again, there was silence. Luhan faked a cough and looked around. I was playing with my finger, thinking of something to think about.

“So… about what you said yesterday…” I began, my voice shaking a little because I was nervous for no reason. “About you liking me…” I trailed off and bit on my lower lip. Luhan didn’t say a word and just leaned back on the couch. I knew he wasn’t going to answer my question so I called him again.

“Luhan!” I said and looked at him. Now he was staring back at me. My eyes widened. He was looking deeply into my eyes without saying anything. Then he broke the silence, saying “So what if I like you more than I should?” He asked without any expressions. “What if I like you, not as a little sister, not as a childhood friend but as a girl?” He slowly frowned. “What if… I love you?” He whispered leaving me speechless.

“I…” I looked at the floor, not knowing what to say. “It’s Ok, I know you hate me! I shouldn’t have annoyed you all this time or teasing you… It’s just because I wanted to win your attentions. But… I  guess it was wrong…” He sighed.

My heart was beating fast. Too fast for my liking. “When did you start liking me?” I asked. “I always did! You just didn’t notice it!” He said. I don’t know why but I was so happy to hear it. Maybe I loved him too. Maybe I always loved him but just suppressed my feelings or I just never realized it.

“I know that you don’t love me back! But I won’t give up on you, Hwa-young!” he said, looking at me. And he was serious. I could see it in his eyes.

*I could never hate you, babo* I softened.