Chapter 18

The Person Next To You

 

The next day, the two bestfriends decided to go to the beach. They were walking beside each other as the sun slowly retires to the horizon.

 

It was already a bit dark so they decided to grab something for dinner in one of the restaurants by the beach. As they were waiting for their order to arrive, Amber saw somebody familiar. She excused herself and walked towards the girl in the counter, who’s busy checking some papers. Krystal on the other hand, followed her friend with her eyes as she approach a pretty girl.

 

“Zoe?” Amber uttered as she neared the counter.

 

The girl turned to her side and was shocked to see the person who just called her name.

 

“A-Amber?”

 

“Y-Yeah… H-How are you? I-I mean what are you doing here?”

 

“I’m fine… I work here as a manager. Now, what are you doing here? I thought you told me that you’re going to stay in Korea for good? Vacation?”

 

“Really? Did I say that I’m going to stay there for good? And yeah, I’m just here for vacation.”

 

“Yeah, you did tell me when you visited like… three years ago? Don’t tell me you forgot?” The girl jokingly said.

 

“Y-Yeah… I think I just forgot.” Amber answered but the part where she said she forgot is true.

 

“So… Who are you with?”

 

“Oh, I’m with my bestfriend. Want to meet her?”

 

“HAHAHA! You’re getting weird lately Amber. You already introduced her to me.”

 

“R-Really?”

 

“Hey, did you hit your head or something?”

 

“Ahh… Yeah… pretty hard.”

 

“Hahaha… You really are funny. Hey, Krystal’s her name right? Your order just arrived.”

 

“Huh? Ah… Yeah, thanks. Uhm… A-Are you still using the same number?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Ahh… That’s great. I’ll go now. See you… uhm… maybe one of these days?”

 

“Sure.”

 

Amber then left the girl in the counter and went back to her seat with Krystal, who’s been watching their interaction the whole time. Even though she couldn’t hear their conversation, knowing the girl and her past relationship with Amber, so is the latter’s face when she’s talking to her, made her feel a bit jealous.

 

After eating dinner, Amber approached the manager of the restaurant again and bid goodbye to her before leaving.

 

“Have I introduced you to Zoe before?” Amber asked while driving on their way home.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Ohh… I see.”

 

There was a moment of silence in the car and when the driver looked at the girl beside her, she chuckled when she saw her sleeping. Unknown to her, the younger girl is just pretending to sleep because she doesn’t want to talk about Amber’s past relationship. She’s just not that ready.

 

-------------------------

 

“Hey Jackie, did you see Amber?” Krystal curiously asked as soon as she got down the dining room.

 

“Didn’t she tell you that she’s going somewhere Krys? She left earlier this morning. She’s actually in a hurry as she left the house.”

 

“Really? Hmm… She didn’t tell anything.” Krystal worriedly said as she munched her bowl of breakfast cereals.

 

 

 

 

In a restaurant somewhere in LA, Amber was getting impatient as she waits for a certain girl that she knew she definitely missed. But as soon as she saw the girl went inside the restaurant, a smile could be seen on her face.

 

They exchanged greetings and ‘how are you’s’ while they eat their lunch. Amber also found it as a chance to tell the girl about her condition. At first, the girl thought that she’s joking but she thought, what would Amber get if she pretends to be someone with amnesia? She knew Amber very well too and she knows that she won’t do such a thing just to seek attention.

 

“Amnesia huh? You know if I didn’t know you, I’d really think that you’re only doing this to seek attention.”

 

“I’m serious Zoe. The last thing I remember, and I’m sure of… is that we broke up when I was 20. For one year, I ran away and avoided you because of feeling betrayed. You wanted reassurance on our relationship? I find it sick that for that very reason, you slept with that guy and got pregnant. I have loved you with all that I am Zoe.”

 

“It really is the same exact words you told me eight years ago when I told you I was pregnant. And I regret what I did. I’m sorry…”

 

“It’s all in the past now. I think for the next seven years, I’ve finally moved on from what happened between us.”

 

“You really didn’t remember anything when you visited three years ago huh?”

 

Amber shook her head before sipping some of her juice.

 

“Three years ago, when you introduced your bestfriend to me, I really thought she’s your girlfriend.”

 

Amber almost spit the juice she’s drinking with what Zoe told her. “G-Girl…friend? That’s impossible!”

 

“I know you Amber. We’ve been together for three years and I know that look in your eyes when you gaze at her. I knew in an instant that you like her. I wonder what happened after that though.”

 

“I think… nothing much happened.”

 

“How did you say so?”

 

“Because when I woke up… she introduced herself to me as my bestfriend.”

 

“I see.”

 

The two finished their lunch and decided to take a stroll to the mall afterwards while Zoe waited for her daughter.

 

“Julia’s homeroom teacher is a friend of mine. He normally brings Julia at home, but since we’re out in here today, I asked him if she could bring her hear. Do you want to meet her?” Zoe asked while she’s scanning through a stack of clothes in one of the stores.

 

“I won’t mind. Does she look a lot like you?”

 

“Luckily, yes. At some angles though, she looks like her idiot father.”

 

“It how at the end, he just left you huh?”

 

“Yeah. But I didn’t regret having her. She’s an amazing kid… like you.” Zoe whispered the last statement.

 

“W-What did you say?”

 

“Huh? I said Julia’s an amazing kid.”

 

“No… after that… You said something after that.”

 

“Huh? Hey, have your ears checked Amber. I didn’t say anything after that. HAHAHA.” She lied.

 

Zoe kept on talking about Julia as they go around the mall like a proud mom. As they a corner, they were surprised to see Krystal and Jackie holding a couple of bags on their hands.

 

 

Krystal’s POV

 

I got so bored in the house and so is Jackie. After having lunch, we decided to go out for some shopping. We were enjoying going in and out of stores, trying out clothes, bonding like real sisters until I saw Amber with Zoe.

 

Honestly, I was a bit hurt when I saw them having a good time laughing about something. Knowing that the two broke up when Amber’s 20, and considering that Amber’s brain right now is that of a 21-year old her, I couldn’t help but think that her feelings for her ex might just return.

 

Another thing that hurt me was the fact that Amber didn’t even tell me that she’s going out… with her. I cursed myself for being this jealous when I’m just her bestfriend.

 

“Jackie! Krys! You’re here too?” Amber asked us.

 

I looked at Amber and then to Zoe, who politely smiled at me.

 

“I see you’re shopping again?”

 

“What else do you think we’re doing? It’s just so boring at home. It’s not that I don’t like having day-offs. I’m glad that Krys is bored too so we decided to just go out and shop a little.” Jackie explained to Amber.

 

“A little? With those bags you call it, ‘shop a little’?” She stated as she pointed the bags we’re holding. She then walked towards me and grabbed some of the bags on my hand. “Oh yeah Krys, I hope you can still remember uhh… Zoe? She said I already introduced you to her before but uhh… I couldn’t remember. HAHAHA.”

 

Why didn’t she help Jackie on her shopping bags too? Huh? Am I just imagining things? Come to think of it Krys… You’re carrying more bags than her sister.

 

“Uhm… Yeah. I can still remember her.”

 

“Ahh… That’s great. Well we just decided to stroll around too while we wait for her…”

 

“MOM!!!” We all looked at the source of the voice and there we saw a little girl running towards us.

 

“Julia!” Zoe said as she lifted up the little girl. “Didn’t I tell you not to run like that? What if you trip and cry all night again?”

 

“Sorry Mom… I’m just too excited. Look! Teacher gave me a star for doing good in school earlier.”

 

“Really? I’m proud… Let Mommy kiss you.”

 

It’s so nice to see their interaction. I looked at Amber and she also enjoys the scene in front of us. She turned her head towards me and smiled at me.

 

I stuck my tongue out at her and she also did the same before turning her head again towards Zoe and her daughter.

 

“Guys, I’d like you to meet Julia, my daughter.”

 

“Hello Julia.” We all greeted her.

 

“Julia, this is Aunt Amber, Aunt Krystal and Aunt Jackie. They’re friends of Mommy so be good at them okay?”

 

“Yes Mom. Hi! I’m Julia… nice to meet you all.” She said as she immediately hides herself at the back of Zoe.

 

“Julia!” A man around 30’s then approached us while struggling to catch his breath. “Don’t… run… like… that… ever… again.” He managed to say in between breaths.

 

“Ah, Steven! Hahaha! Guys, this is Steven, Julia’s homeroom teacher.”

 

After some introductions, we decided to take a seat in Julia’s favorite ice cream parlor and continued to talk about a lot of things.

 

I was somehow relieved when I noticed that there is actually something between Zoe and Steven.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You know Amber, you really make me worry too much.