Chapter 15

The Person Next To You

 

“Hey, I’ve talked to your doctor and he said you can be discharged the day after tomorrow.” I informed Amber as soon as I got in her room.

 

It’s been two weeks since she woke up. She’s been receiving physical therapy since then. As of now, her walking has improved.

 

Those two weeks, I never left her side.

 

“Really? That’s great!”

 

“And your sister called earlier, saying that she’ll visit next month.”

 

She became so excited that it made me happy.

 

I then suddenly miss the Amber that I know.

 

“But uhm… Amber…” Now how should I start this?

 

“Yes?”

 

“I’m just wondering… if… if…”

 

“If? C’mon Krys, spill it.”

 

“I’m just wondering if it’s okay with you to… uhm…” Darn! It’s hard to say this. “l-live with me.”

 

There I finally said it. I released a deep sigh of relief, and now my heart’s beating like crazy, hoping that Amber will agree with me.

 

“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!”

 

“Yah! What’s so funny?!” Aish this girl… “I’m being serious here.”

 

“It’s just… funny how you struggled just to ask your bestfriend to stay with you. HAHAHA.”

 

I showed her my pout and acted as if I’m mad.

 

“Hey Princess…” She said as she lifted my chin up. “C’mon, I’m sorry okay? Don’t be mad… It’s just really funny but… It’s actually a good idea. I’ve thought of that too, you know.”

 

I looked at her eyes and saw sincerity in them.

 

“I suddenly became a stranger in a place I’ve been staying for the past five years. If I’ll go out, it’ll be hard for me to live because of the language barrier. If I’ll live with you, at least, I won’t be afraid of going out as long as you’re with me.” She said as she smiled at me.

 

And just like that, I hugged her tight in my arms.

 

"That's what I thought so too..."

 

I felt like crying when I felt her hug me back. She broke the hug and wiped the tears on my face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Now now now… Why is my bestfriend crying?”

 

I felt like bursting into tears as my fragile heart had a crack, as if it’s going to shatter in any minute, when I heard her say…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bestfriend…

She always says that word. She says it too much that it's starting to get inside of me.

 

“I’m sorry, I just forgot that I have to do something. I have to leave now. I-I’ll go visit you again tomorrow.” I said as fast as I can while holding up the tears that are threatening to burst down my eyes any minute.

 

“O-Okay.”

 

As soon as I closed the door of her room, I sprinted towards my car and locked myself inside as I cry my hearts out.

 

You deserve to suffer like this Krys… You deserve this.

 

Bestfriend…. Don’t forget it Krys… No matter how nice Amber is to you, for her, you’re just a memory she can’t remember… a memory she forgot.

 

It’s not supposed to hurt this way but after weeks of being with her… it’s sad to think that at the end of the day… I’m still that bestfriend whom she forgot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What if you remember everything Amber? Would you rather think of having amnesia… or rather totally forget me because of all those things I’ve done to you?