Chapter 1

The Person Next To You

 

Amber’s POV

 

“One more bottle please!” She yelled to the ahjumma who’s running the small street store.

 

“Ah ahjumma, no, it’s enough please. Thank you… sorry.” I told her, trying to make her understand that the girl next to me already had enough.

 

Here I am accompanying my bestfriend in this stall while she drink ‘til her stomach can’t take it. She just broke up with her boyfriend, more like… he dumped her, and cheated on her.

 

“Yah! I’m the one who’s going to pay okay? Don’t interfere… I still need it.”

 

“Krys, please… You have to stop this. You’re drunk already.” I told her as I put a hand on her shoulder.

 

“It’s none of your business!” She said as she removed my hand on her shoulder. “So what if I get drunk? So what if I throw up in the street and humiliate myself in front of these people?!” She said while tears are starting to roll down her cheeks. “Boring? Bossy? What happened to the ‘I love everything about you’? He’s nothing but a liar… They’re all liars! They always say they like me, but then they’ll keep on saying that I’m not what they think I am. Do I have to be someone they like just so they’ll stick with me? Heck! If they don’t like who I am, then screw them!” She said for the last time before she drank all liquor in her shot glass.

 

She was about to pour another into her glass, but I guess she’s drunk enough that she already forgot that that’s the last shot. She was about to raise her hand again and ask the ahjumma but I grabbed her hand.

 

“It’s enough Krystal Jung!” I grabbed my wallet and left some bills to pay for everything and started dragging her out.

 

“Let me go Amber!” She kept on yelling while struggling to get out of my grip.

 

“You’re going home now and rest, okay?”

 

“I SAID LET ME GO!” She yelled one last time before I lost it.

 

“LET YOU GO? FINE!!!” I let go of her hand in an angry way. “HAPPY NOW?”

 

“Yes! What’s wrong with you? I didn’t even ask you to accompany me, but you kept on insisting and then you’ll just be like this? Just leave me alone!!! I DON’T NEED YOU!”

 

I walked a few steps away, leaving her but since I was already out of my mind because of anger, I stopped and turned around to see her shocked with me yelling at her. It’s the first time that I raised my voice on her.

 

“I DON’T KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU! DON’T YOU KNOW HOW HURT I’M FEELING RIGHT NOW TO SEE YOU SUFFER LIKE THIS? I KNOW YOU’RE BROKEN HEARTED BUT CAN’T YOU SEE THAT I’M HERE? I’M JUST HERE BUT YOU EVEN CHOSE ALCOHOL TO COMFORT YOU INSTEAD OF ME LISTENING TO YOU!!! I’M YOUR GODD*MN BESTFRIEND KRYSTAL JUNG!!! I’VE ALWAYS HAD THESE SHOULDERS READY FOR YOU TO CRY ON!

 

“A-Amber…”

 

“You know what I think? Those tears aren’t even worth it… because those tears were caused by the guys who didn’t know your true value! You always cry because of them! Aren’t you getting tired huh, Krys? Because now… I’m tired… sick and tired…”

 

I turned around once again but stopped when I heard a thud. I looked back and saw her passed out.

 

I ended up carrying her all the way to her apartment, good thing I have a spare key so I don’t have to look for it in her bag. I laid her on her bed and looked for some comfy clothes. I also prepared warm water in a basin and a towel to somehow freshen her up.

 

“Why do you always do this to me Krystal Jung? Don’t you know how defenseless you are right now?” I sighed to myself as I carefully remove her clothes. You don’t know how much self-control I had to undergo just to finish dressing her up to her pajamas.

 

It’s so calming just by looking at her sleeping face.

 

“Why can’t you just see that I’m just right here? Why do you have to keep on looking for the right guy when you’ve always had me? *sigh* And why am I telling these things to the person whom I know can’t hear me? Aish! You always drive me crazy Krys…”

 

I tucked her in her bed and planted a kiss on her forehead before leaving her room.

 

“I have always loved you… But I know I just can’t be the one. I’m sorry… for falling for you.” I told her, assuming that she can hear me.

 

Words… Those words I know I couldn’t tell her… I never really had the courage to tell her because I’ve always been afraid. I don’t want to lose her so I just decided to stay by her side as her bestfriend. But I guess… I just grew tired. I’m tired of pretending to be just a friend. I’m sorry Krys, but I can’t help but be selfish, but all I want is for you to feel the same.