"I care."

A different love story...

 

It was 11am in the Saturday morning. Yuna’s house was empty. Everybody went out – her mother and her 4 younger brothers. She lied on her bed, staring into the empty space. She felt bored and sort of lonely. Kris had to cover a morning shift at the club since some worker was feeling sick and couldn’t make it.

Yuna sighed, feeling her heart hurt a bit.

There was many times, this being one of them, when she yearned for so much love, care and concern. Although she was close to Kris, she didn’t really tell him much. He just knew about her character, history and life. He knew what she experience physically every day, but not emotionally. It was bad that he wasn’t one to pry into her business, because Yuna really wished someone did, but it was worse that she didn’t dare tell him.

That was just how she was. She didn’t like bringing up her feelings, but instead, almost selfishly, she wanted people to find out. To her, it was like a way to show they cared. But, of course, nobody really does that, leading her to think that people don’t really care about her and thus, making her always feel sad and depressed.

And this was what Kris didn’t have a clue about.

But, Yuna couldn’t blame him, of course. It wasn’t his fault that he didn’t like being a busybody in people’s business. She was thankful enough that he understood her nature – her serious, sarcastic nature.

Yuna turned to her left, staring at the lamp now. She wished there was really someone she could talk easily to; without them judging her. She knew she was someone who looked at little things and be so cynical about it, unless it’s a good thing, though. She was the type who would always try to figure the meaning behind one’s actions such that when someone says good things about her, she gets happy, knowing someone actually understood her motive to not be something bad but instead something for the better. But, if people think bad things about her, she just feels like they’re the type who would not try to even understand a person but instead just assume bad things.

This about her was both good and bad. But, it was how she was so she didn’t feel the need to be fake and cover her bad traits. If a person truly cares, they wouldn’t mind her negative mind.

But, anyway, she didn’t know what to do. Every time she gets bored, she gets lonely.

After a few minutes of just lying around, she got up and quickly changed, deciding to go out for a walk. She changed into a pair of black skinny jeans and just put on a black jacket over her.

She wasn’t emo or anything; she just preferred black clothes over colorful clothes.

Placing the hoodie of her jacket over her head, she grabbed her wallet, phone and keys and left the house.

She checked her phone as she walked, there was a message from Kris: “I had to take the afternoon shift, too. So, I won’t be able to hang out with you or anything. But, I’ll fetch you for work later at 7. Don’t be late and please put on your uniform properly this time.”

She sighed as she read Kris’s message. She figured that their manager probably wanted Kris to stay longer.

She quickly texted a reply: “Kay. Whatever. Stupid woman. Seeya later.”

She locked her phone and placed it in her pocket. She put her hands in her jacket’s pocket and walked down the busy streets of Seoul, looking around as she did.

She stopped at a shop called “Funny Memories”. It was a shop for taking pictures for great memories that people would like to treasure.

On the glass window, there were featured pictures of either couples or families placed for the public.

Yuna stared long at the pictures of families and couples pasted on the window.

She bit her lips. They look so happy. I wish I was like this. I wish my family was like this. I wish I had someone to lean on. I wish everything wasn’t so difficult and complicated for me.

Tears were threatening to come out.

Yuna quickly swallowed them and took in a deep breath, looking up, away from the pictures. She bit her lips. The more she tried to stop her tears, the more tears started wetting her eyes.

---

A guy walking the streets of Seoul alone saw a familiar figure. He stopped walking and stared at the girl who stared sadly at the window of a shop. He recognized it as Yuna. He curiously watched as she looked away from the picture, swallowing. His heart softened. She’s probably suffering as much as I am.

Suddenly, droplets of rain started to fall from the sky. Myungsoo gasped, looking in the sky then back at Yuna. He saw her quickly run for shade and chased her, without thinking much.

Yuna stopped at a bus stop and sat on the seats, placing her hands on her sides. She looked down at her shoes, flinching every now and then when thunder struck in the sky.

Suddenly, she felt a jacket over her shoulders. She looked up to meet the eyes of none other than Kim Myungsoo. She was confused for a while. It was far too weird to be true. The Kim Myungsoo who looked like he hated her offered her his jacket.

She was touched and annoyed – touched that someone cared; but annoyed that he was probably playing a trick or something. But, she didn’t say anything. He didn’t either.

Myungsoo smiled a small smile at her and sat beside her, bending down a bit to look at the sky.

Yuna just continued staring at him.

When thunder suddenly struck, she flinched a bit, but then felt a hand touch hers. She looked down to see Myungsoo’s hand squeezing hers with comfort.

Yuna curiously blinked.

He looked at her and nervously smiled, embarrassed at his own gesture, but he didn’t take his hand off her.

Then, he suddenly said something she never expected him to say.

“I.. care,” Myungsoo quietly said.

She slowly blinked, her eyebrows rising a bit. Myungsoo didn’t know why he said but it just felt right. It was what he always wanted to hear whenever he was down but there was no one to say all those things.

And although Yuna felt weird hearing that from Myungsoo, she also felt happy that someone really did care for her.

“You don’t have to feel alone. Just.. today. Feel like there’s someone by your side – me. Feel that you have someone to tell things to. Feel like there’s someone who really care and wants to understand you. I’m here to listen. You can forget about it after this – pretend we never met or talked,” Myungsoo explained.

Yuna swallowed the tears that were about to fall.

She blinked and a tear fell on her shirt.

She was touched. Although she didn’t know Myungsoo well, not that she cared to know, she was happy that he cared. He understood her feelings and he wanted to know more about it.

It was the first time someone had sincerely offered to listen. Kris didn’t do that. He was just there to comfort Yuna but not to listen to her. But, Yuna understood that Kris just wasn’t that type of person. But, Myungsoo? This guy? Really? Out of the many people she expected to care more, Myungsoo was the one who did.

He understood how lonely she felt. He understood that she didn’t have anyone to really tell her problems to. Maybe she did, but he knew she was waiting for someone to just sincerely say that she could lean on them.

All that made Yuna feel touched – the fact that he could really understand.

But, instead of saying much, Yuna turned her body a bit and hugged Myungsoo.

He was taken by surprised but slowly hugged her back.

Maybe, they both thought, just maybe, they could make this one work.

Maybe the person they’ve always wanted was each other – someone who would listen and understand.

Maybe this was it – the end of their sorrows.

Maybe God really decided to help them.

And maybe… this meant the start of a new book, that both Myungsoo and Yuna were sure to enjoy.