Just hurt.

A different love story...

Kim Bokyung - It Hurts
---
Yuna’s POV:

The whole afternoon at the café seemed different from the usual. There was a sad aura surrounding the whole place that I almost suffocated with the overwhelming feeling. Maybe it was the rain, or maybe it was the fact that there was not a single sign of Kris or that guy, Myungsoo. Either way, I knew the atmosphere was affecting my mood.

In contrast to the awful day, what welcomed me home that night was not a normal nagging mother but a raging one. The house was a mess; shattered glass covered a part of the ground. My brothers were crying by the side, one holding on to his injured hand that was bleeding.

I stood by the door, staring in shock at the mess that my mother had created with her own two hands. I had no idea what was going on and I didn’t know what to do except stare as she continued to smash the things that came in sight. It was a huge mistake of mine at that time as she turned to meet my eyes. In anger, she stomped towards me and grabbed my hair, pulling me in the house and shutting the door close.

She threw me on the floor before kicking me in my stomach area multiple times. I clutched onto it in pain from the impact, my eyes starting to water. My bag was long tossed aside. I stared at her in fear when she grabbed me hair again. This woman was capable of many things. She might be putting this shelter on my head but I know as much as her her hate for me. Oh, how much she loathed me to even be breathing the same air as her.

As she lowered her head to mine, I could see the tears in her eyes as she stared at me with so much hatred. I stared back, holding my breath, afraid that if I let out a single sound, she’d kill me right there and then.

“You want to know why I hate you so much, you ?” she harshly whispered, the smell of alcohol released directly to my face.

I could only stare as she smirked and tears start to fall.

“Because you are why I’m not happy at all. That’s why I hate you. Because I can’t understand happiness with your presence around me; with you constantly annoying me with your face and your voice and your whole presence, you ing !” she screamed and slapped me hard till I could feel the blood trickling down my cheek.

Slowly, her hand went to my throat and that was when I knew I had to get out of there. Wrapping my fingers around her skinny wrists, I, with all my might, pushed her hands away from my throat before pushing her aside. I ran to my injured brother and pulled him out of the house, slamming the door behind me, not even caring if my brother wasn’t wearing any legwear.

I could feel the tears profusely slip down my cheeks as I ran with my brother being pulled along. His pleas for me to slow down went into deaf ears as I continued to run and find a place to hide. I didn’t know what I was hiding from. I just wanted to be covered.

Painful sobs left my lips as I tried to control my tears. I could feel my heart squeeze in pain with every step I took. Why was I running? Why was I crying? Why am I sad?

I had so many questions that remained unanswered.

Finally, I stopped running and sat down under one of the empty playgrounds that wasn’t too far away from home. I wrapped my arms around my knees and curled into a ball, sobbing into the sleeves of my jacket. My fists were clenched. I bit my lips, controlling my sobs but it was useless. I could feel the eyes of my brother on me but I couldn’t care less. I needed to let my feelings out.

“Why.. why..” I continued to chant as I gripped tightly on the edges of my sleeves.

I was shivering. I felt barely alive.. I felt dead. As if all the organs in my body had been knocked out. I felt exhausted.

My brother fell on his knees beside me, his head hanging low.

Shocked by his sudden closeness, I turned to look at him, my eyes catching the sight of his feet that had dirt and some blood on it. I gulped the lump in my throat, knowing the cause of his new injury was me.

Guilty, I let go of my knees and turned to hug him tight, burying my face in his shoulder.

“I’m sorry.. I’m so, so sorry! Forgive me!” I cried and apologized.

I bit my lips and squeezed my eyes shut, more tears falling.

“I’m so.. so.. sorry..” I apologized again and again, grabbing onto him tighter.

Slowly, I was starting to get confused why I was apologizing. I knew it wasn’t only because of his feet but for everything. Everything I hadn’t done properly as a sister. I was guilty. It’s my fault why he was feeling this way. I hadn’t protected him well.

“S-stop crying..” his lips quivered as he rested his shivering hand on my back, rubbing it softly.

But, his voice only made me cry more.

The night was so silent with the exception of the sound of our breaths and cries while we sobbed into each other’s’ shoulders. Only how many times were we able to do something like this? It was a rare opportunity to get close, let alone be crying together.

For some reason, I didn’t even ask why my mother was so angry that night. I could only feel the pain in my heart as it ached for a reason even I wasn’t sure what. There were too many negative thoughts on my mind and I wasn’t sure which one was the cause of my sadness. I didn’t know why I was crying so much that night. I just felt hurt. And it wasn’t at all physical pain. It was emotional, like how I always felt.

Only this time, it wasn’t any other person who was by my side. It was my own brother, the one who I never thought loved me even the tiniest bit.