Dishes.

A different love story...

 

The next morning, Yuna woke up to the sound of an alarm. Weird. She didn’t have any alarms in her house because her mother told her it was noisy and disrupted her sleep.

She felt something nudge her back. Then, an arm went around her waist from behind.

She then remembered what happened the night before. Kris brought her home after the hug and let her sleep on his bed. She said she didn’t mind if he slept on the bed too and so he did.

Kris lived alone in his apartment since his parents were working abroad and he didn’t want such a big house to live in. So, his parents just made sure to send him money every month for his expenses and bills.

“Yuna, wake up. School starts in two hours,” Kris whispered in her ear.

Yuna nodded, knowing he would be able to see her from behind.

Kris sighed and sat upright. He yawned and stretched, pushing the blankets away. He stood up and stretched more as he made his way to the bathroom.

Yuna gazed blankly at the cupboard in front of her. She was too lazy to get up. Her mind was filled with so many thoughts. She didn’t want to go home. She didn’t care what her mother would do or say to her for not coming home. She was sick of always listening to her orders.

About 15 minutes later, Kris got out of the toilet. He was wearing a towel around his waist and he had one over his head. His body was exposed but he knew Yuna didn’t mind so he went to get his uniform that was hanging in his cupboard.

He shut the cupboard and went out to change in the spare room he had.

He came back to see Yuna still lying on the bed.

He sat on the bed, beside her and shook her, although knowing she was already awake.

“Go shower. I still have your other uniform from before when you slept over,” Kris told her.

He then passed her a towel for her to shower.

Yuna lazily and reluctantly got up and dragged herself into the bathroom. Kris slowly shook his head as he went out to take out some food for breakfast. He knew Yuna didn’t eat much in the morning since she usually skipped breakfast so he only took out a piece of bread and spread Nutella on it. He poured a glass of milk and put it beside her plate.

He also made one for himself.

Once Yuna was done, she got out of the bathroom with a towel covering her body. She saw a note that said: “I left your uniform on the bed. Come downstairs once you’re done so we can eat. And you have to eat cos you’re in my house so you do what I tell you.”

Yuna rolled her eyes at the last sentence, but in a joking way. Kris could be immature when he wanted to be.

She quickly changed into her uniform and brushed her hair before walking down.

“I went to your house last night and went in with your key. Your bag’s on the couch, with mine, so you don’t have to worry about it,” Kris told her when he sensed her presence in the kitchen.

“Mm,” Yuna simply replied.

She took the cup of milk and drank half of it.

“Eat,” Kris told her.

He knew Yuna was going to pretend like she didn’t know and not eat at all. And he was right. Yuna really didn’t have the appetite.

Kris heard Yuna groaned softly but sat beside him at the table and took a piece of bread.

She took small bites of it and slowly finished it.

Kris smiled triumphantly as he drank his last bit of milk and wiped his lips. He stood up and went to wash his plate and cup.

Yuna finished her share and stood up with her plate and cup. She walked towards the sink and helped Kris wash.

This reminded Kris of when they were younger and Yuna was slightly more talkative. It was when his parents were still in Korea. Yuna came to visit Kris and they played and ate. They were told to wash dishes and Yuna and Kris never complained. They loved washing dishes together. Yuna’s mother didn’t really care if she was always out as long as she came back home before midnight.

Yuna saw the soap slip out of Kris’s hand and she chuckled. Kris heard it and splashed water at her, but only a little so she wouldn’t go to school wet. Yuna’s mouth made an ‘o’ shape as her eyes were shut. She then slowly opened it and turned to Kris. She glared at him before putting soap on his face. Kris’s face, too, became shocked as they started pelting soap all over each other. Soon, their faces were full of soap and their uniforms were slightly drenched. They quietly laughed together, being the silent people they were.

“Dammit, Kris,” Yuna slapped his arms.

Kris just laughed. They were wet and looked sort of messy but he had fun, so it all didn’t matter. He was glad he was able to make Yuna laugh a bit.

They wiped themselves and left the house.