Jang Yuna

A different love story...

 

It was like another typical day for Yuna. As usual, she was sitting beside Kris, staring blankly at her book. It was almost too easy for her to ignore the teacher’s rambling voice since that had been what she has been doing for the past few years.

She wasn’t really thinking about anything; just zoning out. Kris turned to her and sighed. He knew how Yuna was – hard-headed and stubborn as always. It was a miracle even to see a book on her table. Usually, she’d just look out the window and ignore the teacher.

Teachers don’t even care, or probably didn’t dare, to tell her to listen. Everyone knew how she was.

She was known as the school’s bully. They said that she wouldn’t hesitate to beat you if you touched or even talked to her. They even said that she’s killed a person before.

But, Kris knew better than to believe all those rumors. He knew that whatever Yuna did or how she acted was to cover up her vulnerable self. Oh, no, it wasn’t that she was vulnerable physically but rather emotionally. She didn’t want to be hurt again, so, she pushed everyone away. She thought it was better to be hurt because she’s lonely than be hurt because people wanted her to be.

She had this much ego that she didn’t want people to be the boss of her or let them affect her.

The teacher cleared his throat but no one listened. They continued chatting amongst themselves. The teacher realized that even if he yelled at them to listen, they’d ignore him. So, he just continued teaching for the benefit of students who were actually interested.

Kris turned back to the teacher and focused on what he was saying.

“O-okay, everyone, so, um, the fact that he uses such words to describe this character shows how he actually resents hi-“ “RIIIIIIING!”

The students stood up and cheered that school finally ended, totally ignoring the existence of the teacher. He quietly cleared his stuff and left the class, while being pushed around by the rowdy, excited boys and girls.

It was only Yuna, Kris and a few more other students left in the class.

Kris cleared all his stuff and placed his bag on his shoulder, “Yuna?”

She was just sitting there, staring at her book. When she finally looked up, Kris saw her wet eyes. He instantly knew what she was thinking about. *She’s at it again.*

There were times when Yuna would let her tough image go and she would cry in front of him, but only in front of him. Kris sat back down and patted her back.

“Let’s go home first. There are people here,” Kris softly whispered.

Yuna just looked back down with her expressionless face. There were tears, but her face didn’t change. Kris was used to it, although he thought it was weird at first. But, he thought that she must have been through a lot to be able to cry so easily.

He rubbed her shoulder concernedly, not really looking affected when he really is. He wanted to cry seeing his best friend like this.

Soon, the class became empty.

Kris was getting bored of waiting for Yuna. He hated it when she was sad. All her energy would be out of her and it would bring down the mood that was already bad enough.

The two best friends weren’t too talkative or open with each other but they both knew each other well enough to know if one was sad or angry. Of course, they’d been friends since childhood.

Kris met Yuna when they were both in middle school, involved in some nonsense. That was when they were lost and badly influenced. But, ever since they both stopped those activities, they became close friends and hung out together.

They weren’t the typical best friends you would see. While other best friends hang out and laugh together, these two seemed all emotional and suicidal, when they’re just silent and observant. They didn’t need that much interaction to know each other well. They just clicked.

The whole school knew their friendship and Kris was more on the popular side while Yuna was just the “crazy girl who follows him around”. Not that she cares.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, when it had really been only 30 minutes, Yuna looked up. Her face was dry and her cold personality was back.

She stuffed her stuff in her bag and stood up. She didn’t need to say for Kris to follow her.

He placed his arm around her and walked out of school with her.

---

They ended up at Mamamia Café, where they both work at.

They greeted their boss, Mrs. Lee, who they call halmeoni and changed into their uniforms.

“Kris-ah. Is she sad again..?” Mrs. Lee asked curiously, although she already knew the answer.

Kris just gave her a simple nod and sighed.

“I’m so worried about the both of you..” Mrs. Lee sighed and continued wiping the wet cups.

Mrs. Lee was like a mother to both Kris and Yuna. Because of the lack of love they get from their real parents, they depended on Mrs. Lee a lot for their source of love. Mrs. Lee, of course, didn’t hesitate to give them any for she too wanted a child but was unable to since her husband passed away a month after their marriage.

Kris just turned to stare at Yuna. He too was worried about Yuna but he knew that all she needed or wanted was someone to be with her. She didn’t need to be friendly and nice to everyone to actually be happy; she didn’t need anything at all but love and just someone who acknowledges her and cares for her.

That was Jang Yuna; the cold-hearted girl who lost too much to ask for more…

---

First chapter up. ^^ thank you for subscribing. :)