Learning their friendship.

A different love story...

 

They arrived at Mamamia Café, drenched with all the rain water.

Yuna angrily stomped into the café and went to the employees’ room, dumping her bag on the floor. She was lucky there weren’t many customers or she might be scolded, not that it would affect her though.

Taerin was just awkwardly standing in front of the counter. She recognized the guy standing at the counter from school. She once thought that he was very handsome, and she still thinks so.

Kris who was standing at the counter raised an eyebrow. It was unusual – very, very unusual – for Yuna to bring a friend to work, much less a female friend.

Sensing his questioning look, Taerin decided to explain why she was there.

“U-uh.. I had trouble and.. she, um.. helped me,” Taerin awkwardly say, looking down.

Now this surprised Kris even more. Yuna hardly – scratch that, never – offered help to people, especially if she didn’t know the person. Judging from Taerin’s looks, Kris guessed that what Yuna would really do is slap her for looking so weak or just ignore her like she didn’t exist.

Kris saw her cuts and bruises and went to her, grabbing her hand and pulling her into the employees’ room, without any words.

Taerin just quietly followed, although she was slightly taken aback by his sudden skinship.

Inside, they saw Yuna on the chair, her eyes closed as she had her hand massaging her head.

Kris took out some spare towels that were kept in case the workers ever needed to use the shower they had in the café.

The café was like a house that it was completed with everything a house would need – a bed, a couch, a small TV, a toilet and the bathroom. All it lacked was a proper kitchen. This was Mrs. Lee’s house. Ever since her husband died, she sold her big house and lived alone in the café.

She threw one to Yuna, which she expertly caught, although not looking, and kindly gave another to Taerin. She took it and wiped her face and hair while observing the room.

“Yuna,” Kris called, “Go home.”

It was the first time Taerin heard him talk and she sensed the care and concern Kris had for Yuna.

It was silent for a while before Yuna replied, “No. I’m helping Halmeoni tonight. Just wait till I dry.”

“Why are you wet? I thought you said you’d be taking a cab,” he asked, starting to fix Taerin’s bruises, making her wince once in a while.

Yuna knew Kris wanted to scold her for being so irresponsible but she was thankful Taerin was there. Although they were both silent, Kris’s protectiveness made him nag at Yuna at times, but only when no one was watching.

“.. I.. couldn’t get any to stop,” Yuna replied.

It was the truth; there really wasn’t any cab that drove past. But, there was another reason why she decided to walk after – it was to overcome her fear for thunder. Though, she knew she failed considering how she was still shivering a bit from fear, but not enough for Kris to notice.

“Oh.. Okay. Halmeoni told you to go home,” Kris replied.

Kris knew this would get Yuna to go home. She would never disobey Mrs. Lee. Yuna sighed and glared at him.

“Fine. I’ll go home. But, give me money. I need a cab. I’m not walking in the rain again,” Yuna waved her hand in front of Kris.

Kris sighed, but smiled, and took out some cash, handing it to Yuna.

Without any word of thanks, Yuna stuffed the money in her pocket and grabbed her bag.

Before she left, though, she remembered two things she had to say.

You,” she harshly said and pointed at Taerin, walking towards her.

Taerin shifted away again.

“Stop doing that. I’m not going to eat you,” Yuna stopped coming nearer and rolled her eyes.

“Anyway, never mention what happened today. You were never saved by me and I don’t know you. I don’t wanna see you talking to me in school. You can bother Kris if you want, but remember, you don’t know me and I don’t know you,” Yuna made sure to press on the important words to emphasize the fact that Taerin should not go around telling people about the incident.

Taerin nodded urgently, scared.

“I guess that’s all. Thanks for the money, Kris,” Yuna said and gave a soft slap on his back before walking out of the room, making Kris chuckled.

“You better listen to her,” Kris told her, without looking at her, as he pasted a plaster on her small but deep cut.

Seeing the silent but great friendship the two had, Taerin couldn’t help but think of doing the opposite of what she had been told…