Chapter Two

Forbidden Feelings

Gyu Ri’s POV

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat next to Jong Hyun while we were having dinner that night. We’ve been married for 3 months now but there are still awkward situations between us. It wasn’t like he’s giving me the cold shoulder treatment; in fact he’s been on his best behaviour ever since I’ve agreed to this marriage.

But I just couldn’t bring myself to look at him the same way again. And it certainly didn’t help Hong Ki had left because of him. Yes, everything would have worked out fine if Jong Hyun hadn’t come back.

“You should eat more Gyu Ri. Is the cooking not up to your standard?” appa asked from the seat across of me.

“Oh. Anye. It’s really good. But I just don’t have the appetite.”

“Perhaps it’s because of hormones changes?” umma gave me a knowing look and I caught on to her hint immediately.

“Oh no,” I quickly protested. “It’s nothing like that.”

I tried to make it look like as if I was enjoying my food, not wanting them to jump onto the wrong conclusions again.

“There’s nothing wrong in it being true. Both of you have been married for 3 months now. Surely there are some changes?” appa questioned.

I could feel Jong Hyun tensing up beside me. He had been concentrating hard on his food since just now but his ears couldn’t turn out these unavoidable questions.

“Appa, umma...Actually...” but before he had the chance to answer them, we heard the front door opened and somebody walked in.

And it wasn’t just any somebody.

It was the ever gorgeous, tall and y-looking elder brother of Jong Hyun.

Kim Jae Joong, walking in like he had just stepped out of a fashion magazine.

“Annyeong!” he greeted us cheerfully.

“Jae Joong!” umma stood up excitedly with appa following close behind her. She threw her arms around him and hugged her elder son tightly against her. “Why didn’t you tell us you were coming home?”

He bent down his head to peck his umma on both cheeks and returned her hug just as tightly.

“I wanted to surprise all of you. My business there ended earlier than planned so I decided to come back here early. I miss all of you!”

“Good to see you back home son,” appa gave him a gentle pat on the back. “It’s been 2 years since we last seen you.”

2 years, but he still looks as handsome as ever since the first time I met him.

I felt my heart racing as his eyes met mine and he gave me a warm smile.

“And I heard my dongsaeng had gotten married,” he turned his attention towards Jong Hyun now, who didn’t move an inch forward to greet his brother.

That’s what happens when you have two very competitive brothers in one family. Siblings’ rivalry can really get out of hand.

But still, they were bonded by blood. Didn’t Jong Hyun miss Jae Joong one bit?

Nay. I was hoping you would’ve gotten home and grace us with your presence,” Jong Hyun replied coolly.

“Well, I’m sorry about that Jjong,” Jae Joong called out his brother’s family nickname. “But fear not, I have presents for both you and this beautiful wife of you over here,” he grinned at me as he took the seat opposite of mine.

What a heart-stopping grin.

I pinched myself hard underneath the table to wake me up to my senses. I had to shake away all those negative thoughts. I was disgusted to even think about it.

“Jae Joong oppa,” I smile sweetly at him. “How have you been?”

“I was hoping for Jong Hyun to ask me that but it’s just as good coming from you. I’ve never been better Gyu Ri, now that I’m home.”

I don’t know if I was being paranoid or something, but he sounded different when he said the last statement.

I looked back down on my food not knowing how to react to his answer. Sensing the change in me, Jong Hyun suddenly spoke up.

“Hyung, you must be tired. Why don’t you get some rest? Your room’s is still left the same way. Nothing’s been touched, so you don’t have to worry.”

He was anxious just to get Jae Joong out of the way. Could it be possible, Jong Hyun knows me well enough?

“That sounds like a good idea. Appa, umma, I’ll be in my room if you need me,” he said his eyes never leaving me and it made me flushed.

As he made his way up, appa and umma came back towards the table and glanced at the direction where Jae Joong had just left.

“I’m glad Jae Joong is back now. He can help Jong Hyun handle our business here. The power of their team-work will be undeniable,” appa said.

“Are you sure you don’t him to run the business alone? You’ve always favoured him anyway,” Jong Hyun said bitterly.

“Jong Hyun! That’s not a nice thing to say,” umma chided him.

“I don’t think his business there is really done. He must have a hidden agenda up his sleeve,” he continued with his suspicions.

“Really Jong Hyun. What is wrong with you? You’re supposed to be happy that your brother has returned home safe and sound,” umma looked at him in disbelief.

I cast a sideway glance at Jong Hyun. I had no idea things were really bad between them. But things couldn’t continue to get any worst right?

 

“I’m going to get something from the kitchen. Do you want anything?” I asked Jong Hyun that night, while we were getting ready to turn in for the night.

“Just get me a glass of plain water. Thanks,” he gave me a small smile.

“Jong Hyun, are you unhappy about Jae Joong oppa’s return?” I couldn’t help but ask.

He just scoffed in response.

“I don’t have much choice do I? Just like you didn’t have a choice other than to marry me. True?”

Not wanting to get into another argument with him, I hurried out of the room as an escape.

Jong Hyun has been touchy recently, I figured out I should really try to adapt to being the supportive wife image.

After all, I haven’t heard anything from Hong Ki ever since that night. It’s like he had disappeared completely from the face of earth.

But I couldn’t deny the fact that I really miss him and I still think about him whenever I’m alone. And I’m pretty sure Jong Hyun notices it too but doesn’t want to comment anything.

I took out a bottle of milk from the refrigerator and started to close the door when I saw a figure standing behind it.

“Argh!” I jumped back startled and dropped the bottle from my grasp.

It would have made a loud crashing sound if Jae Joong hadn’t caught it swiftly in time.

“I’m sorry,” he smiled. “Did I scare you?”

I held my hand against my chest as I regained back my composure.

“I didn’t see you standing there,” I replied quietly. “Thanks,” I said as I took the bottle back from him and poured myself a glass.

“Do you want some?” I asked him hesitantly, seeing him still standing there and watching me closely.

“I don’t drink milk,” he shook his head slightly. “But I guess it’s good for you. That’s why you have a smooth and beautiful skin, right?”

I laughed nervously.

“I guess so. Thanks again. Good night,” I said as I turned around to leave but he managed to grab hold of my wrist.

“The last time I saw you, I didn’t think Park Gyu Ri would get herself hitched.”

I yanked my hand away from his grasp.

“Time change. People change,” I answered simply before making my way out of the kitchen.

As I walked up the stairs, I placed one hand against my chest and I could feel my heart beating twice it’s normal speed.

This is crazy.