Chapter 6

Forbidden Feelings

Hyun Joong’s POV

They would choose me, I was sure of that. I’ve always been one of the honour students; there’s no other better choice.

I straightened up in my seat and smoothed down the soft fabric of my black suit. It was now or never, they would call out the name of the student chosen to design the new project. My name.

“Lee Jin Ki.”

I stumbled back upon my seat when I heard his name being called out. His name and not mine. It wasn’t me; it was that sharp-witted classmate of mine; the one who always got on my nerves because of his intelligence.

He was my only competitor; the only one who had dared to step in my path. And now when everything was really happening in front of my eyes, I felt as if my pride has been humiliated. All my hard work has gone down the drain; disappearing from everyone’s eyes as they now only see Jin Ki’s proud smiling face thanking them profusely.

And they are all nodding approvingly at him, putting all of their confidence in him. They knew he would make them proud, when that was supposed to be my job until a few minutes ago.

I narrowed my eyes into thin slits while I watched him closely.

Lee Jin Ki has taken away everything; and my dreams are all now shattered because of him.

And he was going to pay back for it, one way or another.

 

“Sir, may I know who you are looking for?”

I snapped back to reality as the clerk in front of me looked up at me questioningly.

“Uh yes. I’m looking for one of your students. Han Seung Yeon?” I inquired.

It wasn’t all that difficult to get her last name. All I needed was a few clicks on the computer and all her records were laid down perfectly for me.

Her full name, her address, her workplace, her school...

And who would’ve guess a sweet petite girl like her would be interested to take up piano lessons in this school.

Nay. She is one of our students. But may I know why you’re looking for her? Are you related in anyway?”

“I’m...an old friend,” I answered casually. “Visiting from overseas. I won’t be in Seoul for long. I just wanted to drop by and give her a surprise visit.”

“Oh. But, she’s having lesson now,” the clerk replied giving me a sceptical look. “Perhaps you would like to leave her a note?”

I thought about it for a moment.

“What time does she end then?”

“In 30 minutes time. But...”

“It’s okay. I’ll wait for her here,” I gestured towards the comfy sofa which was situated at the corner of the room. “You won’t mind would you?” I gave the clerk one of my most charming smile.

And just like I’ve expected, her face expression soften and she gave me a kind smile.

“Alright then. Make yourself comfortable.”

 

Seung Yeon’s POV

As soon as classes had ended, I took out my cell phone and pressed my number 2 speed dial. I waited patiently as I listened to the song on the other line playing continuously.

“Hello?”

“Jin Ki-yah!” I called out cheerfully. “I’ve finished my classes. You’re going to pick me up today right?”

“Oh Seung Yeon-ah, actually I forgot to tell you,” he began and I could feel my face fell. “I have something important to do today. I won’t be able to fetch you.”

“Hmm, it’s okay then. I’ll meet you tomorrow or something,” I tried to hide my disappointment.

“Okay. I’m really sorry. Call me when you’ve reached home okay?”

Nay. Take care,” I told him before ending the call.

I wondered for awhile where I should head to now since my plans of meeting Jin Ki were cancelled. I figured I would just head over towards the cafe and have a chat with Ki Seuk to kill time.

As I made my way out of the room, I noticed a black shadow hovering over me and blocking my way.

“Um, excuse me...” I started as I glanced up to see who it was and I had to stifle my gasp. “You?”

The same mysterious man who had knocked over his coffee a few days ago was now standing just a few feet away from me. He wasn’t wearing his shades today, but somehow I’d just recognise him anywhere. He still had that distinctive aura about him.

I looked around looking for assistance but everybody else had gone home and the clerk wasn’t in her usual place. I swallowed hard as I tried to calm myself down.

But he didn’t appear as strange as he was at the cafe. In fact he was looking down at me with an amiable smile on his well sculptured face.

Without his shades on, I could see perfectly well his good natured features. And I had to admit, he was quite an attractive and good looking man.

But I still couldn’t shake off this conscious feeling when I’m standing near him.

His eyes, they were almost cold. And they were piercing right through mine; making me really uncomfortable.

“Annyeong Seung Yeon,” he bowed down slightly at me. “I see that we meet again here.”

“Um nay. What are you doing here?” I asked bravely.

“I had some business to do here. And then I happened to walk past here and I saw you. So I decided to acknowledge you. I’m glad you still remember me,” he grinned.

“You’re pretty...recognisable,” I laughed nervously. “Well, it was nice meeting you again. I have to go now. Goodbye.”

I tried to sidestep him but he hindered my way one more time.

“Actually, I was thinking of asking if you’d like to go for a drink with me?”

I looked up at him uncertainly, unsure of how I was going to get myself out of this mess. I pretended to glanced down at my wrist watch and winced.

“Ah, would you look at the time. I’m really running late for work. Sorry about that. Goodbye!”

He was taken aback by my declination and I took the chance to tiptoe him and got out of his way before he had the chance to persuade me any longer.