Chapter Twelve

Forbidden Feelings

“Do you love Jong Hyun?”

Those were probably the simplest of words one could utter but his sudden question sent me to a state of shock and speechless.

As my mouth hung open slightly, the gears in my mind rotating wildly trying to find the right answer; Jae Joong just sat comfortably in his seat and stared at me intently. It was clear from the look on his face, he wasn’t going to let me off without a satisfied answer.

“I...why did you ask me that?”

He shrugged casually as he gave me a small smile.

“I’m concern, for my little brother and also…for my sister in law,” he answered as he propped himself up on both of his elbows. “If both of you aren’t happy with anything…”

“I am!” I said quickly. “I am…happy with Jong Hyun. You don’t have to worry about anything.”

Jae Joong studied my face carefully for 5 good minutes before he got back up into a sitting position and let out a small sigh.

“Gyu Ri, you don’t have to hide anything from me.”

“Hide what?” I asked confused.

Slowly, he got up from the sofa and walked towards where I was standing. I held my breath for the longest time as he stopped just right in front of me and placed his hands on both of my rigid shoulders.

I stared down at my bare feet, unable to look up and meet his hypnotizing eyes. I was afraid that I might not be able to get a hold of myself.

But Jae Joong wasn’t going to have any of it. Using two fingers, he lifted up my chin until he was sure that I met his gaze.

I was aware that my heartbeat was beating rapidly and loudly. I wondered if he could hear the echo of it in the huge living room.

“You…are a bad liar. Do you know that?” Jae Joong asked in a low voice, his breathing getting slightly heavier now. “You’ve always been bad at lying since the first time I knew you.”

His probing eyes were burning a hole in mine and the scent of his cologne was making it even harder for me to breathe. I tried to find something, anything for me to grab hold of but all that I could reach was the soft fabric of his white blouse.

I grasped at it tightly, trying to create some space between us but Jae Joong appeared unaffected by the whole situation. In fact, he wasn’t even trying to make an effort to move away from me.

Oppa,” I bit my lips nervously. “Are you okay?”

Instead of answering, his hold on me tightened as he leaned in closer until our faces were only inches apart.

I shut my eyes closed, anticipating whatever that was coming next. As much as I hated to admit it, I wanted him to kiss me too. I wanted to know how it feels like to have his soft lips placed against mine.

Those lips that has been teasing me for quite a while now…

I could feel his hot breath hitting my face as he moved in closer to me. It felt like an eternity waiting for his lips to find mine.

Any second now…

Just then, I heard the front door flew open and the sound of Jong Hyun’s familiar footsteps came storming in.

As quick as lightning, I pushed his body away from me and whirled around before Jong Hyun could see the guilty look on my face.

I could hear Jae Joong groaning slightly as he stumbled back a few steps due to my spontaneous reflex.

He was so close…we were so close…

Hyung! You didn’t tell me you were going to go home early!” Jong Hyun lashed out, not noticing the awkward tension in the room. And I wasn’t going to complain.

“What is it Jong Hyun?” Jae Joong asked tiredly. “It wasn’t like I had much work to do.”

“You missed an important meeting! Because of your inconsiderate actions, we might just lose out on our biggest project yet!”

“Look, I’m sorry okay?” Jae Joong apologised, still in his nicest tone. “I’ll talk to them tomorrow. You don’t have to worry about anything.”

“Alright,” Jong Hyun replied, his tone mellowing down. “Be sure to do that. We can’t lose it.”

“Oh Gyu Ri,” he called out as he seemed to finally realised my presence in the room. “I thought you were meeting Nicole?”

“Uh nay. I did. I just came home…awhile ago,” I answered slowly as I reached up my hand to touch my cheek. It still felt hot.

“Really? Okay then. Anyway, would you like to go out for dinner tonight?”

“Jong Hyun-ah, I don’t think it’s a good idea…”

“Please?” he asked in a hopeful voice which I couldn’t bear to disappoint.

And perhaps, this was what I just needed. To spend some quality time with my husband to push all unwanted thoughts away.

Yes, I was married.

“Okay,” I nodded as I turned back around to face him. “Let’s go for dinner tonight.”

As Jong Hyun beamed happily at me, I couldn’t help but notice a contrast expression on another person’s face.

Jae Joong was staring back dejectedly at me as I glanced helplessly at him. I couldn’t exactly read his face, but it was clear he wasn’t happy.

A pair of brothers, standing before me with two different kinds of reactions.

And somehow, I was feeling the exact same way as Jae Joong.