Chapter Ten

Forbidden Feelings

Ji Young’s POV

I flipped open my cell phone and the first thing I noticed was that it was already 5 in the evening; and that my battery was going to be flat in a few more minutes. Just as I was about to switch it off, I noticed something on the screen which I hadn’t really paid attention to, until recently.

It didn’t seem so important, before he left. But now, I find myself looking at it every day, ticking it off with my fingers.

Today’s date; 4th June 2010, exactly two weeks after Tae Min had left for his study trip. And no, so far there hasn’t been any phone calls or text messages. I knew and I understand very well, that he’s going to be very busy with his research, but just one text. Just some sort of sign to tell me that he’s okay, and that he’s going to be fine there.

I let out a huge sigh as I walked along the empty school hallway, unsure if I should head home and wait for his phone call like I have been doing for the past 13 days or wander somewhere else to keep my mind from thinking of him.

I didn’t know what led me there, or why did my two feet even walked into that direction in the first place, but the next second I found myself standing inside the school swimming area, a place which I hadn’t stepped in for quite some time.

As I stared at the vacant swimming pool, I realised why I’ve made my way here out of all places. The pool was one place where I let all my troubles float away, the one place where I could just close my eyes and escape reality for awhile.

After changing into a pair of old shirt and short, I made my way towards the edge of the swimming pool and slipped one foot into the cold water.

It’s been so long since I last swam, and many negative possibilities started running through my mind. But I took a deep breath and slowly immersed my whole body into the inviting water.

The second my face got into contact with the water, I felt a new surge of hope and it was like my troubles had been pushed really far away. My mind was cleared, with no trace of memory left inside of me. I was just relieved and happy to be in the pool alone, without having to think of anything else.

I wished I could stay under the water forever; I didn’t want to get out and occupy my thoughts with things that I could do nothing about. I didn’t want to get out and face the world alone, without Tae Min beside me.

Insecurity.

That was my problem.

But as much as I wanted to stay in that position, I know I couldn’t. My few minutes of peace was over and it was time to get out and put on a brave front like I’ve always had.

I started to swim up towards the surface, but then I could feel something was wrong.

I wasn’t moving. No matter how hard I pushed my legs up, they wouldn’t move. I was still stuck in the same position, just like what I’ve wished for.

No, this couldn’t be happening.

The exact reason why I had quit swimming, why I had swore to myself I would never dip my legs into the pool again; my cramps couldn’t possibly be happening now.

A sudden feeling of dread started to overcome me. There was nobody left, everybody had gone home for the day.

I wasn’t even supposed to be in the pool after school hours, there was no help in case of emergencies like this.

I tried to calm myself down, but I didn’t see any use to it. I had already gulped down too much pool water and they won’t stop going in.

I couldn’t hold my breath under water for much longer; I had already reached my limits.

My legs were still frozen on the spot, refusing to follow my orders. I stared at them helplessly as I sank deeper into the chilly pool.

My eyelids were getting heavier due to the stinging pain from the pool water. I couldn’t keep them open for much longer, no matter how much I wanted to.

I couldn’t stay awake for a second more; my energy had all been drained out of me.

The last thing which flashed in my mind before I closed my eyes were Tae Min’s and Seung Hyun’s faces.