Chapter Sixteen

Forbidden Feelings

Jin Ki’s POV

I thought that was going to be the end of me. I thought I would have to leave Seung Yeon forever. I thought we wouldn’t be able to have a future together.

But then, in the nick of time; Seung Yeon yanked me away out of the danger zone and at the same time, the driver swerved away at the very last minute.

As Seung Yeon hugged me close to her petite body, my thoughts couldn’t focus on anything else except for the mad driver whom I had managed to catch a glimpse of his face.

I knew that face.

I would recognise that face anywhere. The face which had revenge written all over it.

Kim Hyun Joong.

A sudden shiver went down my spine as my grip on Seung Yeon tightened without realising. My heart was pounding loudly, not because of the incident but because I remembered what a dangerous man Hyun Joong was.

What he would do just to make sure nothing gets in his way.

But I wasn’t afraid for myself.

No. I feared for Seung Yeon.

He knows everything. He knew that Seung Yeon was somehow connected to me.

And if he couldn’t get to me directly…

“Jin Ki,” Seung Yeon spoke up in a small voice. “Are you okay?”

“You…you must listen to me very carefully alright?” I told her urgently as I held her gaze. There was so much pain in her eyes. We had just recently gotten back together, and she was still trying to fix back the remaining pieces of her life but what was I doing here?

I was putting her head-first into a very dangerous situation.

Her life was now being threatened and it was all because of me.

“Jin Ki…you’re starting to scare me. What’s wrong?” she asked softly.

“I’m so sorry…”

 

“Damn it!” he cursed under his breath the moment he was out of their view.

He was so close to getting his revenge; he was so near to destroying and getting rid of Jin Ki once and for all.

All he had to do was continue what he had been doing and he would have knocked the life out of his rival.

But the moment he saw that she was with the guy, all his senses seemed to stop working. His mind was clouded, not allowing him to think or function properly.

The moment he set eyes on her, she messed up everything he had been planning. He couldn’t do it in front of her. He wasn’t able to.

Could it be possible, he had really fallen for her? For that sweet beautiful smile which had been playing on his mind every single night? For that melodic laughter which he had gotten so used to?

Kim Hyun Joong hasn’t really fallen in love before. He didn’t even know what it feels like to love someone.

But this girl, this lovely woman – he felt something.

Something he couldn’t quite describe.

 

“Are you serious?” Seung Yeon gasped. “He can’t be that threatening.”

Jin Ki nodded solemnly.

“But it’s true. Hyun Joong is a very competitive guy. He wouldn’t let anything get in his way.”

“B-but how did he know about me? About us?” she asked confused.

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “I guess he saw us a few times here? You said so yourself he used to be a regular customer.”

Seung Yeon bit her bottom lip hard, remembering back those times when she had been so close to the stranger. How oblivious she had been to the danger that had been lurking around for quite some time.

“Seung Yeon,” Jin Ki started, taking both of her hands in his. “I’m not going to let anything happen to you okay? You don’t have to worry.”

“No. What if…he does something even worse to you?”

“He won’t. Don’t worry.” But even he himself wasn’t so sure if he sounded convincing enough. But then, all that mattered was Seung Yeon.

He cupped her small face tenderly as he stared into her questioning eyes. He could see there were millions of questions running through her mind, all the things that she wanted him to tell her.

But what could he tell her? That her life had been put on the line because of him? That every single move of hers was being watched by a revengeful psychopath? And that it had all been caused by him?

“Seung Yeon…I promise. I will keep you safe.”