Chapter Twenty-One

Forbidden Feelings

Jin Ki’s POV

I glanced up nervously at the large clock which was hanging on the wall right above my superior’s head. The small hand pointed right at the number 5 and the longer hand was five minutes away from reaching the figure 12. I was supposed to meet Seung Yeon at 6pm and there was no way I could make it to the cafe on time.

Oblivious to my anxiousness, Mr Lee kept on talking about our recent business deal and judging by the way he was going on, it was clear he wasn’t planning on stopping anytime soon. I tapped my right foot nervously on the floor and fidgeted with my ball point pen; nodding every few minutes to indicate that I was listening to him. But nothing was going inside my brain while my thoughts were only focused on Seung Yeon who would have to go home by herself if I can’t get out of work quick enough.

Quietly, I slipped my phone out of my pocket and hid it underneath the table. Reluctantly, I begin typing my apology message to Seung Yeon who was waiting patiently for my call.

 

Seung Yeon’s POV

After getting the disappointing text message from Jin Ki, I unfastened the knot of my apron quietly and started to make my way into the locker room.

As I stepped into the nearly empty room, I noticed Ki Seuk shoving his large black backpack onto his locker and getting ready to change into his cafe T-shirt.

“Yah, Seung Yeonnie,” he called out to me in his usual chirpy voice. “Are you going home already?”

I nodded solemnly as I took my own sling bag out of my locker.

Ki Seuk who was a very observant person, could immediately sense that something was bothering me. His smile turned into a frown as he took a few steps towards me.

“Is something bothering you?”

I shook my head gingerly, not wanting to offer any sort of explanation.

“What is it then?” he urged. “Oh. Are you upset because Jin Ki can’t pick you up today? Oh Seung Yeonnie, don’t you meet him every day?” he exaggerated.

Anye,” I protested. “That’s not it. I’m just tired Ki Seuk-yah,” I forced a smile. “I’ll see you tomorrow okay?”

Without waiting for an answer, I walked past a very much confused Ki Seuk; fully aware that I owe him an explanation the next time I see him. But right at that moment, I really couldn’t be bothered to care about anything else.

Stepping outside in the cold air, I pulled my white coat tighter and wrapped my arms around my shivering body. Thankfully my apartment was only a few blocks away. I definitely couldn’t wait to plop myself down on the bed and have a really good rest. It’s been a really tiring and confusing week for me.

While I started walking along the shops, my eyes wandered around aimlessly; just looking around to help me get distracted. Wanting to get a closer look at one of the items on the display window, I peered into the glass panel and satisfied my curiosity.

As I pulled away from the window, I noticed something else on the glass reflection.

It could very well belong to someone else, just something purely coincidence. But I couldn’t help feeling a sudden sense of dread washing over me as my sight focused on the familiar black sports car.

My mind went over to the previous incident which had happened a few days ago, just a few feet away from the spot that I was standing on. How Jin Ki had nearly been knocked down if I hadn’t pulled him away in time.

I turned to my left and right, checking over my shoulders apprehensively, afraid that he might be somewhere near watching my every move.

But nothing and no one seemed to stand out to me. Everything was perfectly normal and nobody was giving me any kind of weird stares. I must be imagining things.

Not wanting to risk any chances, I quickly hurried away from the shop; suddenly anxious to get out of there. Turning around the corner to take a short cut, I took out my phone and started to punch in Jin Ki’s number.

But before I could even press the dial button, I felt a hand clasping around my mouth from behind. One sniff from the cloth that it was holding, I lost all sense of directions and darkness surrounded me.