Chapter Nine

Forbidden Feelings

Woo Young’s POV

“Have you ever tried this before Hara?”

She cast a sceptical glance at the string which I was holding in my hands and laughed nervously.

“Kite-flying? Are you serious? In this kind of weather?” she asked as the cold wind breezed past her, messing up her neatly combed hair.

“But it’s just perfect!” I argued. “Kites need the wind to fly after all. You haven’t tried it before have you?”

She smiled sheepishly at me.

Anyo,” she admitted. “It won’t be so hard right?”

“Don’t worry. It’s really fun. Here, take this,” I told her as I handed over the kite’s string to her. She took it from me apprehensively and held on to it tightly; as if afraid it might fly away anytime.

I stood behind her and wrapped both arms around her petite figure as I clasped both of her hands in mine.

I could feel her tensing up immediately by my touch; probably awkward with the whole situation since we’ve never stood close together like this before.

 “I’ll show you how to do it,” I said as I lowered down my head slightly so she could hear me better against the harsh blow of the wind.

“Slowly now,” I said as we released the kite together high up to the sky. “You don’t have to do much, just hold on tightly to it and don’t let go.”

I let go of her gradually when I noticed she has become comfortable flying it on her own.

“Wow, I didn’t know kite-flying could be this fun!” she beamed happily as she watched it soaring high up in the sky, following the direction of the wind.

I smiled to myself as Hara continued to have fun by herself, temporarily forgetting about my presence there as well. But I didn’t mind. My whole intention was to bring her out and have fun; to forget about depressing incidents which had been happening in her life recently.

I may only known Hara for a short period of time, but I could feel the pain she was going through. I could tell from the smile she has been forced to put on every day, deep sorrow still lay beneath her. A wonderful girl like her certainly didn’t deserve to be left alone like that.

“Woo Young!” she suddenly yelped, causing me to snap out of my thoughts. “Help! I can’t seem to get control of it.”

I hurried towards her and was by her side in a second. I tried my best to help her gain control of the kite but the strong wind was dominating the situation without choice.

In our hastiness to get the kite back down, Hara tripped over my right foot and sent both of us tumbling down to the ground and we lost our grip on the kite.

We watched in dismay as the kite flew away from us, the image of it getting smaller as it became further and further away.

“Well, that was one of my favourite kites,” I spoke up finally after a whole of 5 minutes of silence.

My voice caused Hara to snap back to reality and she suddenly realised she was still lying on top of me; our positions unchanged since the moment we fell down together.

She immediately shot up straight and stood up quickly, like her pants had been set on fire.

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly.

I could tell she was really embarrassed about the whole incident but I couldn’t resist disturbing her a little more, seeing how adorable her face looked being all flushed up.

“Sorry about how my kite flew away or sorry that you fell on top of me?”

Her cheeks turned even redder than before as she fidgeted with her black necklace.

“Both of it. I’ll buy you a new kite,” she offered meekly.

“Hmm. That settles the first part. But my body still hurts you know,” I continued to as I pretended to rub my stomach in pain.

She crouched down beside me instantly and placed her chin on top of her knees; while she looked at me with those innocent doll-like eyes of hers.

And all thoughts of messing around with her were gone temporarily when I stared back into her eyes. There was something mesmerizing about them, and I couldn’t tear my eyes away from her.

I didn’t know what was going through my mind at that very second, but I leaned in close to her slowly; with my eyes fixed on her thin lips.

Just before our lips could meet for the very first time, the loud blaring sound of her cell phone interrupted the moment.

She jumped back startled by the sudden sound and rose up quickly.

I watched her as she fumbled to take out her phone from the front pocket of her black jeans and gave me an apologetic look before answering the call.

Yawbosehyo.”

As I stood up and straightened out my shirt, I noticed her scrunching up her face as she tried to make out who was on the other end of the line.

“Hello? Who is this?”

The person must not have said anything as a slight trace of her annoyance crossed her beautiful face now.

“Well, if you’re not going to talk please don’t call me anymore.”

She pressed the end call button angrily and shut off her phone.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” she shrugged. “This number has been calling me since yesterday. But when I picked up, there was nobody on the line. Just the sound of someone’s heavy breathing.”

“Try to block it or something,” I frowned. “Perhaps, it’s one of those prank calls.”

“Maybe. I’ll do it later. Can we go home now?”

“Sure. It’s getting really cold anyway.”

 

He clenched his two fists tightly as he watched them made their way out of the place together.

He saw it. He had seen it with his two eyes; how close they had gotten. That guy would have kissed her if he hadn’t intervened their ‘moment’ by calling her phone.

He was shaking uncontrollably in anger right now, as he replayed that scene again in his mind and he threw a frustrated punch at the tree beside him.

It caused his hand to get scratched and he was bleeding but he didn’t care. He was all numb out of the pain; his thoughts only focused on her now.

Hara.

Why couldn’t he just get her to himself for once, without any interruptions. Why is everybody getting in their way and trying to keep them apart?

No. He was not going to give up.

He will never give her up.