Chapter 30

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine rushed into the hospital and stopped outside the emergency room.  “How is she?” she asked Natalie who jumped out of her chair when she saw Charmaine.

Natalie glanced at the drawn curtains and said, “The doctor is still examining her.”

Bosco walked towards them with a grim expression.  “I just questioned the man who found her.  He works the night shift for the bus company and found her on his way home.”

Charmaine nodded then turned to Natalie, “Did you check her belongings?  Anything worthy?”

“We found Raymond Lam’s business card in her bag,” Natalie said.  “Other than that nothing unusual.”

“Raymond Lam again!” Bosco gritted out.  “I find that too much of a coincident.  I just know he’s our guy!”

Charmaine didn’t know what to say or think.  Like what Bosco said, she didn’t believe in that many coincidences either.  Yet something tugged at her telling her Raymond is innocent.  “Bring him in to the station for questioning.”

“Yes Madame,” Bosco said.

They heard the rustling of the curtains being pulled back and the doctor stepped forward.  He looked at the officers, “Is her family here yet?”

Natalie shook her head, “Her family is overseas.  She lives with a roommate and I’ve already called her.  She’s on her way over.”

“How is she?” Charmaine asked as she peered over the doctor’s shoulder at the young girl who was lying on the hospital bed with her eyes closed.

The doctor gave them a brief smile, “Luckily she was found on time.  I was able to flush most of the drugs out of her stomach before she overdosed.  She is still unconscious however.”

“When will she wake up?” Charmaine asked as her eyes darted back to the young girl.

The doctor frowned slightly and said, “It’s hard to say.  It could be in an hour, a day or even two.  We have to wait patiently for the drugs to completely leave her system on its own.  As I mentioned earlier, she’s lucky to be alive.”

“How is she physically?” Charmaine asked softly.  When she saw the puzzlement on the doctor’s face she said, “What I mean is: are there any signs of ual assault?”

“If you’re asking whether she had ual recently then the answer is yes but there wasn’t any tearing or trauma to her lower body.”

Charmaine held out her hand and said, “Thank you doctor.”

When the doctor walked away, they entered the room.  Charmaine looked at the young girl and was sadden by what had happened to her.  She was too young and now because of this she would be forever traumatized by it.  The only thing she could do to help the girl was to find whoever did this to her and before another victim is found.  She turned to Natalie and ordered, “Bring some men to Smashbox and do a thorough search of the place.  Remember tell them that we are asking them for their cooperation in assisting us in finding the killer.  If they give you a hard time, let me know immediately.  I’ll find a way to get a search warrant.  It may be tough given on such flimsy grounds but I’ll do my best.”

“Why only Smashbox?” Bosco asked.  “Raymond Lam owns a couple of clubs.”

Charmaine gave him a whimsical smile and replied, “I noted that all the victims were found within the area of Smashbox with the furthest one being only five blocks away.”

Bosco nodded, “I didn’t realize that.”  He his heels, “I’m going to pick up Raymond Lam now.”

Charmaine nodded, “I’ll meet you back at the station.”

---------------------------------------

The persistent buzzing of the doorbell woke Raymond.  He had a hard time falling asleep only to be awaken by the loud shrilling sound.  He slipped on a robe and met Frankie in the hallway.

“Who could that be?” Frankie mumbled and rubbed the sleep from his eyes as they both headed down the stairs.

The maid was just leading the officers into the living room when Frankie and Raymond descended the stairs.  “What’s going on here?” Frankie asked, his eyes going straight to Bosco as the leader.  Remembering him from last time, he said, “Wong Sir, why are you here at this late hour?”

Bosco looked over at Raymond and sneered, “We would like Mr. Raymond Lam to come with us to the station for questioning.”

“I already answered all your questions the last time,” Raymond said firmly.  “And if you have any new questions I’m sure it could wait until the morning.”

Bosco walked up to Raymond and with a hard face said, “We found another girl.  Drug overdose but luckily she survived.  In her bag we found your business card again.”

Meeting’s Bosco unwavering glare, Raymond said without emotion, “I didn’t do it.”

Bosco placed a hand securely on Raymond’s shoulder and said snidely, “Let’s go.”

Frankie pushed Bosco’s hand off of Raymond and asked, “Do you have any papers for his arrest?”

Bosco’s smile remained fixed in place as he said, “No but we are hoping that Mr. Lam would come with us willingly.  If you’re innocent as you claim you are then of course you wouldn’t mind coming back to the station with us.”

Raymond met Bosco’s challenging smile and said smoothly, “Of course not.  I’ll go with you but on one condition.  I will only answer your questions in the presence of Madame Sheh.”