Chapter 31

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine walked into the small eight by eight room and took a seat across from Raymond.  Bosco had told her of Raymond’s request and seeing no harm in it, went along with it.  Bosco remained in the room with them and stood off in a corner to observe.

Raymond’s eyes softened when he saw Charmaine.  He leaned forward in his chair, “Do you believe that I’m involved in all of this?”

Although the question was asked in a casual manner Charmaine detected a trace of disappointment in his tone.  She stared down at the clipboard in front of her and said, “That’s what I’m here to find out.  Mr. Lam, where were you from 11:00 pm to 2:00 am?

Raymond folded his hands on the table and kept his eyes on Charmaine as he answered, “I was out drinking.”

“Were you by yourself?”

“Yes,” Raymond said softly.

Charmaine made some notes on the clipboard then asked, “Where did you go?”

“I was out on my yacht,” Raymond answered in that same soft tone.

Keeping her eyes averted she asked the next question, “How long were you on your yacht for?”

Raymond seemed to think about that for a few seconds then said, “I’ve been there since noon of yesterday.”

Bosco made a snickering sound and interrupted, “You were there all day by yourself?”

Raymond turned to Bosco and with a glare said, “Yes.  I had a lot on my mind and wanted some time to myself to think.”

“So you’re saying that you went out on your yacht alone for an entire day and into the wee hours of the morning just to think?” Bosco asked snidely.  “You expect us to believe that?”

Raymond looked at Bosco and said coldly, “I don’t expect you to believe anything.”  He returned his gaze on Charmaine and quietly said, “It’s the truth.”

Charmaine heard the silent plea in his words but still refused to look at him.  She wrote more notes onto the clipboard and asked, “Do you have any witnesses to attest to that?”

“No,” Raymond responded calmly.  “There wasn’t anyone around when I went to the docks and I didn’t see anyone when I was out in the waters.  Since I returned late at night I didn’t see anyone either on my way back.”

Charmaine wrote down what he said then turned the clipboard towards him.  Finally looking at him she said in a professional manner, “Mr. Lam, that’s all the questions we have for now.  You can review your statement and if you approve of it, please sign at the bottom.”  Ignoring the heat of his gaze, she got up and looked at Bosco, “I’m going back to my office.  When Mr. Lam is done, please him out.”

“Wait,” Raymond blurted out.  He stood up and stared at Charmaine with annoyance.  “I want to speak to you alone.”

Bosco jumped in front of Raymond and snarled, “Whatever you have to say you can say it to me.”

Ignoring Bosco, Raymond walked up to Charmaine and pleaded softly, “Please.”

Charmaine knew that sooner or later she would have to clear everything out between them.  With a slow nod she said, “Bosco, can you please give us a moment.”

Bosco was surprised by Charmaine’s action but dully stepped out of the room closing the door behind him.

Charmaine didn’t say a word as she stood beside the door looking down at her feet.  She could feel the tension surrounding them like a tangible force that was beckoning to break any second.

Raymond stared at her, getting angrier with each second that passed with her refusal to look at him.  “Tell me,” he demanded roughly, “Do you have any feelings for me?”

Charmaine’s heart tugged at his question but she knew what answer she would give him.  It wasn’t the truth but it was the only answer she would give.  She would never admit her feelings to him.  Not when it means hurting Steven.  “I don’t,” she said flatly.

Raymond grabbed her arms and shook her, “You’re lying!” he hissed and tightened his hands.  “I know you are!  I can see it in your eyes every time you look at me.”

Charmaine broke free from his hold, “Does your ego need boosting?  Will it make you feel better if I lied and told you what you wanted to hear instead of the truth?”

Raymond stared at her as if he hated her then grounded out, “The truth is you’re lying to yourself.  You want me as much as I want you.”

Charmaine shook her head in denial and cried vehemently, “No I don’t.  I’m in love with Steven and only want to be with him.”  She placed a shaky hand on the door knob and without turning around said lowly, “There is nothing more to say between us.”

“So that’s it?” Raymond asked angrily.  “You’re going to shut me out of your life and ignore the feelings between us?  I won’t let you do that.”

Charmaine turned to glare at him.  “There has never been anything between us.  I don’t know why you feel there ever was but there isn’t.”

Raymond laughed harshly, hurt by her callous words.  With rage blinding him, he grabbed her and crushed her against his body.  Capturing her lips in his he kissed her fervently ignoring her struggles to be freed.

Charmaine fought to pry herself away but soon didn’t have the will to do so.  The feel of his lips on hers melted her resolve and she savored the feel of them on her again.  She gave as much as she took and was jolted by surprise when Raymond abruptly released her.

With a taunting grin, he said with mockery, “Now tell me again that you’re in love with Steven.”

Charmaine realized too late what she had done and stared at him with tears shimmering in her eyes.  Raymond saw the unshed tears and quickly lifted his arms to her.  Charmaine stepped away from them and in a ragged whisper begged, “Please leave me alone,” then ran out of the room.