Chapter 10

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine looked up when she heard a soft knock on her door.  Seeing who it was she smiled, “Bosco, why are you still here?”

Bosco returned her smile and took a seat, “I was going over the files on the two female bodies and must have forgotten the time.  What about you,” he asked.

Charmaine let out a long exhale and said, “Same here.  I wanted to see if I missed anything.  I really want to bust those guys.”

Bosco nodded with understanding then glanced at his watch.  “Too bad we don’t get paid for overtime.  Otherwise, you and I would both be rich by now,” he joked.

Charmaine laughed.  “How true that is.”  Glancing at her own watch she frowned, “I didn’t realize how late it was.  Selena is probably up waiting for me.  She never sleeps unless I’m safe at home with her.”

“Can I give you a lift?  I drove in today,” Bosco offered and stood up.

“Thanks.  Do you mind stopping for some fast food on the way.  I’m starving,” she said as she picked up her bag and walked around her desk towards him.

“Sure if you don’t mind picking something up for me as well,” Bosco beamed.

Just then Charmaine’s cell phone rang.  She looked at the caller ID and wondered why Selena was calling her.  “Hey Selena,” she greeted cheerfully but the voice on the other end wiped away her smile.

“Hello Madame Sheh,” Kenneth said softly followed by a cackle.

Charmaine knew immediately something had happened to Selena.  For one thing, Selena never let anyone use her cell phone not even her own mother.  Another was that Selena had promised not to have any more to do with Kenneth Ma and Selena never broke any of her promises.  “Where is she?” Charmaine demanded coldly getting right to the point.  Bosco saw the strain on Charmaine’s face and also knew something had happened.

“Tsk… Tsk…, where is your manners,” Kenneth chided softly.  “Is that how you greet people?”

Controlling her rising temper, she hissed, “Only criminals like you.”

Kenneth chuckled at the slur then said in a raspy voice, “Come to Passions Bar now.  Alone, if you want to see your precious Selena safe and unharmed.”

The line went dead and Charmaine stood frozen in place with her phone still clutched against her ear.

“Charmaine?” Bosco said her name, “What happened?”

“They have her,” Charmaine said already running out of the building.  “I have to save her!”

“Wait,” Bosco shouted catching up to her, “I’m coming with you.”

Charmaine halted and looked at him, “No!  I have to go alone.”  She saw the concern on his face and assured, “Don’t worry.  I can handle them.”  She then quickly ran down the street.

Half hour later Charmaine arrived at Passions Bar and headed straight for the bartender, “Where is Kenneth Ma?” she asked impatiently.

The bartender gave her a cheesy grin and gestured down the corridor with his thumb, “Last room on the right.”  Charmaine turned to go but the bartender stopped her, “Here,” he pushed a glass of red wine towards her.  “Ken wants you to drink this before you go in.”

Charmaine eyed the glass knowing that something had probably been slipped into it.  She shook her head, “I won’t drink anything from here.”

The bartender shrugged and said, “That’s up to you but Ken told me to give you a message.  He said that if you don’t follow his instructions then you’re not getting what you came for.”

Pushed past beyond her endurance, Charmaine took out her badge and stuck it up to the bartender’s face, “I’m Senior Inspector Charmaine Sheh.  Now if you don’t tell that bastard to come out right now, I’m going to charge you with assisting in kidnapping.”

The bartender visibly went pale and began rambling, “K-Kidnap.  I-I don’t k-know anything about k-kidnapping.  I’m j-just following o-orders.”

Charmaine had a feeling he was telling the truth.  In a tone that meant business she asked, “Is he alone in the room?”

“Y-yes,” the bartender answered and quickly walked away.

Charmaine walked purposely down the corridor towards the last room on the right.  When she was standing outside the door it opened from within to reveal Kenneth Ma.  He smiled when he saw her, “Madame Sheh, I was wondering what took you so long.”  He stepped aside, “Please come in.”

Instead of going in, Charmaine remained in place and asked lowly, “Where is she?”

Kenneth pretended not to hear the question and sat down on the couch.  “I’m sorry but my doctor told me that I have hearing problems.  Can you come closer and repeat what you just said?”  He patted the place beside him.

Charmaine stalked into the room and said, “Stop playing games with me.  Let her go now or I’m taking you back to the station with me.  And believe me; you won’t like that one bit.”

Kenneth laughed the sound loud and haughty.  “You must have forgotten who has the upper hand.”  He pointed at her with his finger then at the place beside him, “Have a seat.”

Feeling helpless Charmaine grudgingly walked over and sat down beside him.  When he placed an arm around her shoulders she pushed it away.  “Don’t touch me!”

With a chuckle, Kenneth lifted up a glass and held it out to her, “Have a drink first.”  When Charmaine refused, he dropped his smile and threw the glass across the room.  “Fine have it your way then.”  Before she knew what was happening, Kenneth dropped down on top of her and had her pinned against the sofa.  Charmaine struggled fiercely, her hands clawing and scratching, her legs kicking out.

“What’s going on here?” a voice boomed from the door.