Chapter 25

Crossing the Lines

“Looks like another one,” Bosco said as he approached the body with Charmaine by his side.

“Who found the body?” Charmaine asked Natalie, because Natalie was always the first at the crime scenes.

Natalie pointed to a middle age woman who was visibly shaking and would from time to time peer at the dead body.  “She did.  She walks across this park every morning.”

Charmaine walked towards the middle age woman, “Hello.  I’m Madame Sheh from the homicide team and I know you had a terrible fright but do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”

The woman nodded her head slowly and looked anxiously up at Charmaine.

Charmaine placed a supporting arm around her shoulder and led her away from the body.  When she was satisfied that the woman can no longer have view of the dead body, she asked, “Do you walk through this park every morning?”

The woman nodded, her eyes darting nervously around.

“Do you live around here?” Charmaine asked next.

Again the woman nodded, “I live right in that building.”  She pointed to a gray building directly in front of the park’s main entrance.

“Since you live around here do you know the victim or recognize her?”

The woman nodded even slower this time.  In a strangled voice she said, “She lives on the same floor as me.  I don’t know her well but I see her every now and then.”

Bosco asked the next question, “When was the last time you saw her?”

The woman closed her eyes briefly trying to think then said, “It was last night.  Around midnight I think.  I was taking out the garbage and I saw her come out of her apartment.”

“Was she alone?” Bosco jumped to the next question.

The woman shook her head, “She was with a guy.  I didn’t see his face clearly because he was wearing sunglasses and he had on a hat which was pulled down really low.”

Bosco and Charmaine exchanged looks.  Charmaine placed a comforting hand on the woman’s shoulder and said, “I know its tough on you but we want to catch the guy who did this to her.  I want you to think carefully… can you describe anything about the guy you saw?”

“He’s taller than the average guy.  Slim built and dark,” the woman said.

“Madame,” Natalie called from a nearby bush, “I found something.”

Charmaine and Bosco quickly went to her side and squatted down beside Natalie.  “What is it?” Charmaine asked.

Natalie held up a card, “Smashbox.  Raymond Lam’s business card again.”

Bosco took the business card out of Natalie’s hand and said, “Let’s go and arrest him.”

“Wait,” Charmaine said, “We can’t charge him with anything based on a flimsy business card.”

“But two of our victims had his business card on them when they died,” Bosco argued.  “That means their deaths are connected to him.”

“That is still not enough,” Charmaine stated firmly.  “Go and bring him in for questioning but since we don’t have enough evidence to charge him, make him understand that we’re only asking him to cooperate with us and not charging him with anything.”  She saw the harshness on Bosco’s face and asked orcefully, “Got that?”

Bosco knew she was right.  Defeated he mumbled a “Yes Madame,” then left to follow through with her orders.

Turning back to Natalie she asked, “Have you seen Ron?”

“Are you looking for me?” Ron asked as he advanced towards her with a grim smile.

“Anything you can tell me now or do I have to wait for the full report?” Charmaine asked anxiously.

In a somber voice Ron aid, “There are tears in her lower region so I can safely say that she had been .  There are bruises all over her body.  At one point the killer must have used her as a punching bag.  There’s also some sort of burn mark on her body but I don’t know what caused it.  I will have to let you know after I completed my autopsy.  And again I found residue of drugs in her saliva but I won’t be able to make any comparison to the drugs in the other victims bodies until I do the autopsy.”

Pleased with the information Ron had given her she gave him a smile of appreciation.  “Thanks Ron.  I’ll swing by your office in a few hours.  Bye.”

Ron shook his head and teased, “I guess that means you want me to leave and get started on the autopsy.”

“I always said you were smart,” Charmaine responded then with a wink turned away from him.