Chapter 15

Crossing the Lines

“Charmaine, got a minute?” Bosco asked softly as he stood hesitantly outside the door of her office.

Charmaine closed the file she was reading and gave him a warm smile, “Sure, come in.”  Bosco walked in and to her amazement, he didn’t display any of his usual goofiness.  Seeing the grave expression on his face she immediately knew that something was on his mind, “What’s going on?”

“Well, uh…” Bosco began and when he saw the encouragement on her face continued, “It’s about you and Steven, and your relationship.”

Mystified by why Bosco would want to discuss this Charmaine asked slowly, “Okay, what about it?”

Bosco fidgeted in his chair uncertain as to where to begin.  Then decided the heck with it and blurted out, “Are you really in love with him?”

Stunned by the unexpected query, Charmaine said, “Why are you even asking?  If I wasn’t I wouldn’t be with him.”

Somehow Bosco knew that was a lie and now that he opened the discussion, he surged on, “It’s just that everyone knows that Steven has been in love with your for the longest time.  And not once did you give any indication that you felt the same about him.  You’re nice and courteous to him but I don’t see that spark in your eyes whenever you look at him. So it makes me wonder why you’re with him so suddenly.”

Charmaine was at a loss for words because she didn’t know how to answer or explain her feelings to him.  She had always been aware that Steven had a crush on her and not once during the two years that they have worked together in the same station had she thought of him in any romantic ways.  It’s true that she’s extremely fond of him and the many occasions that they were together she was happy.  The night of her birthday seemed like a dream.  Perhaps it was the thoughtful gift that touched her and made her realize how deep his feelings were for her.  At that moment, giving him a kiss was a spontaneous act on her part but she didn’t regret it one bit.  When he took her hand in his she felt content and satisfied and somehow she felt she made the right decision.  Turning away from Bosco’s probing eyes, she said evasively, “I’m happy being with him.”

“But are you in love with him?” Bosco repeated.

“I think so,” Charmaine responded with uncertainty.  “I know I want to be with him.  Isn’t that the same?”

“Hi guys,” Ron interrupted as he strode in and dropped himself down on the chair next to Bosco.  He saw their serious faces and quickly asked, “Am I interrupting anything important?”

Bosco gave Ron a quick glance and said, “We were just discussing her love life.”

“Love life?” Ron exclaimed with surprise sitting up straight in his chair, “I didn’t even know she had one!”

With a comical smile, Bosco nodded his head slowly, “She does now.  At least that’s what she thinks.”

Ron chuckled and looked earnestly at Charmaine, “Do I know this unlucky guy?  If so, I want to wish him the best of luck.”

Charmaine picked up a pen from her desk and threw it at Ron, which he caught deftly despite the glare from her.

“It’s Ma Sir from CIB,” Bosco answered for her.

Astonished by the name, Ron asked, “Steven Ma that Ma Sir?”  When Bosco nodded his head in response, Ron’s smile vanished as he looked at Charmaine, “I didn’t know you liked that type of a guy.”

Exasperated by their questions and comments, especially on a topic which was highly personal, Charmaine grounded out, “And what do you know about what type of a guy I like?”

Ron smiled as he leaned back against his chair and crossed his legs.  “I may not know exactly what type of a guy you like but I’m certain it’s not that boring and dull Steven Ma who can’t even have a full conversation without either stuttering or turning red.  He even makes me look like a knight in shining armor which I know you’ll agree I’m not.  And should I repeat the guy is extremely boring.  He’s so boring that even my dead bodies seem more alive than he is.”

To that, Bosco laughed out loud, “You’re one hundred correct on that one!  He’s not right for her.”  When Charmaine gave him a hard stare, he quickly quiet down but his body still shook with laughter.

Charmaine sat forward and bracing her elbows on her desk asked flippantly, “And who made you guys my shrink?”  She turned steady eyes on Bosco and said, “You were the one who has been pushing me and Steven together so how can you say he’s not the one for me?”

Bosco held up his hands in a gesture of defense and said, “All that was teasing because I didn’t think you actually have a thing for him.”

“Who would?” Ron muttered and when Charmaine glared at him he smiled helplessly at her, “Sorry, I was just being honest.”

“Listen guys, I hate to break this up but I am no longer discussing this with you two,” Charmaine said firmly and stood up to walk around her desk.

“Where are you going,” Bosco asked as he followed her out of her office to the main hall with Ron close at heel.

“I’m going to grab a bite to eat.  Selena is away on business for a week.”

Ron picked up his pace and walked on the other side of her, “I have nothing to do tonight so I’ll keep you company.”

“Same here,” Bosco said and invited himself along as well.