Chapter 39

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine walked out of the adjoining bathroom and found Raymond sitting up in bed with an arm across his forehead lost in thought.  She removed the towel from her head and dropped it on a nearby chair then walk to stand beside him.  “What’s on your mind?  Another woman?” she teased.

Raymond wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her down to sit across his lap on the bed.  “I’m thinking I wish every night would be like tonight.”  When he saw the question in her eyes, he continued, “Luckily Frankie is away on business and we have the whole house to ourselves.  Of course except for the servants.  And I’m thinking I like going to sleep with you next to me.”  He brushed his lips over her ear.  “You’re a lot more cuddly than a teddy bear.”

Charmaine snuggled up against and rested her head on his shoulder.  In an offhand manner she said, “I bet you say that to all the girls.”

Raymond tightened his hold on her and murmured into her hair, “You’re the only one who ever gave me these feelings.”

Charmaine pulled back a little to look at him.  “You expect me to believe that?”

Raymond rubbed his nose against hers and said, “Would you be please if I was to say yes.”

Instead of answering him, Charmaine brought her lips down on his and gave him a provocative and sensual kiss that took him by surprise.  Lifting her head slightly she asked huskily, “Does that answer your question.”

Raymond smiled and captured her lips in a kiss that was both fiery and tender, brutal and soft and Charmaine responded by pulling him along with her to lie flat across the bed.  Raymond murmured endearing words against her lips as he ran his hand softly up her and down her arm.

Stopping to catch their breaths, Charmaine peered up at Raymond.  She brought her fingers up to touched his face lightly and wondered for the hundredth time how could she had ever suspected him of and murdering those innocent young girls.  “I’m sorry,” she whispered.

The comment caught him by surprise, “For what?”

“For suspecting you,” Charmaine said and she cupped his face in her hand.

Raymond turned to kiss the palm of her hand and smiled, “You were only doing your job.  I understand.”  The conversation with Kenneth replayed in Raymond’s mind and he said, “I just keep wondering who Kenneth is covering up for.  Who is he trying to protect?”

“I believe that everyone will pay for their crimes one way or another and I have confidence that we will soon catch this guy.”

Raymond nodded and his eyes fell on her lips again.  He lowered his head and when he was only a breath away, he whispered, “Let’s not spend our time talking.  We have better things to do.”

Charmaine agreed by pulling his head down to receive her kiss.

-------------------------------------

Kenneth walked into his apartment and felt his presence even before turning the lights on and seeing him.  He slowly hung his keys on a hook by the door and entered the living room.  “What brings you here?  Isn’t it kind of late?” he asked nervously.

“Did you tell Raymond about me?” Steven asked in a soft spoken voice.  Steven was always calm and poised.  He had learned long ago to control his emotions when the need calls for it.

“No!” Kenneth cried out urgently.  “He knows I’m covering for someone but I didn’t tell him anything.”

Steven smiled and stood up.  He wandered over to the bookshelf and ran his fingers through the binds of the books.  “I’m going down to the bar tomorrow,” he said with his back to Kenneth.  “You know what to do.”

Kenneth fidgeted in place as he wrung his hands together in anxiety, “You can’t!  It’s too soon.  Wait a few more days.”

Steven turned abruptly to look at Kenneth, the smile gone from his face.  In its place was a dark scowl, so chilling that it made Kenneth shudder despite the warmness of the room.  “Since when have you started telling me what I can or cannot do?”

The question in its icy tone made Kenneth squirm.  He took a step backward and said, “I’m only looking out for you because I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

Steven smiled again and this time the smile lit up his face.  He sauntered over to Kenneth and patted his back.  “I know you were and I’m glad to know that you’re still on my side.”  With probing eyes, he squeezed Kenneth’s shoulder and asked in a whisper, “But for how long?”

Kenneth looked directly at Steven and vowed, “I will always be on your side and nothing will ever change that.”

Satisfied with his answer, Steven slowly released the pressure off Kenneth’s shoulder.  He walked over to the bar and poured himself a drink.  After taking a big gulp he said casually, “I’m thinking about doing something big, real big.”

Kenneth saw the wild glaze that came over Steven’s eyes.  With panic he asked hoarsely, “What are you planning on?”

Steven took another gulp of his drink and made a clucking noise at Kenneth.  “It’s better that you don’t know about it yet.”  When he saw the worry on Kenneth’s face he assured, “Not that I don’t trust you but the less you know of it the safer you’ll be.”

Kenneth nodded with relief.  For a second there he had actually thought that Steven didn’t trust him any more.  And Kenneth wanted Steven to trust him unconditionally.  He will have to prove his loyalty somehow.  But for the time being he was happy with the way things are between them.  “I understand,” he said.

Steven eyed Kenneth then said, “I do want you to do something for me though.”

“Sure, what is it?”

Steven finished his drink and placed the glass on the counter.  “The next time you see Charmaine Sheh in Passions, slip something into her drink.  Something strong that would knock her out for some time.”

Kenneth saw the cold harsh lines on Steven’s face, and a new fear began to form in the pit of his stomach.  He stammered, “Chances are she won’t ever come to Passions again after what happened last time.”

“Leave that part to me,” Steven said with a soft hollow chuckle.  “Just do what I ask you to do.  Got it?”

Kenneth nodded sullenly and answered weakly, “I will.”

Steven smiled, “That’s my good brother.”