Chapter 22

Crossing the Lines

Frankie took his place at the head of the table with Raymond on his right while Steven and Charmaine sat on his left.  For the most part of dinner Frankie and Steven held up endless conversations.  They talked about everything from the weather to the current state of their lives.  Both seem to have an abundance to talk about and never lacked in topics.  Raymond would join the conversation every now and then by throwing in a few words but his thoughts were occupied by the woman who sat across from him.  He noticed that from the moment she stepped into his house not once had she looked his way.  Even when greeting him she somehow managed to avoid looking directly at him.  He didn’t know why she was acting like this but one thing he did know what that her unwillingness to acknowledge him gnawed at him.  A lot more than he cared to admit.  Now that dinner was over and they have moved into the living room for drinks and dessert he could not help but feel irritation build within him by her ease of comfort sitting next to Steven whereas she couldn’t even give him the courtesy of a glance.

Charmaine was feeling miserable and wished the evening would end soon.  From the start when she realized Raymond would be staying for dinner her stomach felt queasy.  She had been jumpy and nervous throughout dinner and kept her head bowed in hope that no one would sense her agitation.  If it weren’t for those vivid dreams she had of Raymond she wouldn’t be in this state of humility.  Seeing him live in the flesh made her even more uncomfortable.  There was no way she could look directly at him without segments of her dreams flashing through her mind.

“Do you want any more cheesecake?” Steven asked softly from beside her.

“Huh?” Charmaine looked up with surprise then managed to smile calmly when she realized she had been caught yet again by Steven with her mind elsewhere.  “Sorry, I was thinking about my case again.”

Steven gave her a reprimanding look then gently chided, “You really got to try and leave the work behind when you’re off duty.  You’ll only tire yourself out if you continue on like this.”

Charmaine smiled sweetly at him then turned to Frankie and said, “I’m sorry if I ruined the evening for everyone by being distracted.”

Frankie laughed softly, “No apologies needed.  I find it comforting that the police force are dedicated to their work and take it seriously.”

Steven took Charmaine’s hand in his and gave it a gently squeeze, “We’re only doing our jobs.  Right?”

Charmaine nodded and when she lifted her head she saw that Raymond’s eyes were locked on her.  Those dark sultry eyes seem to bore right into her and an image of them kissing passionately in her dreams popped into her head unexpectedly.  With nervous tension she used every ounce of willpower to stay calm and casual.  “Yes.  That’s why I became a cop in the first place: to protect the innocent and put the criminals behind bars.”

Frankie chuckled then turned to Steven and joked, “Good thing I’m no longer in the triad business otherwise I would think twice before asking you guys over for dinner.”

Giving Frankie a smile Charmaine asked, “Do you mind if I used your bathroom?”

Raymond stood up and pointed down a hall next to the dining area, “It’s the second door on your left.”

“Ray,” Frankie said, “The plumbing is not working in that bathroom.”

Raymond frowned and asked, “Since when?”

“Since this morning,” Frankie said nonchalantly, “I’ve already called it in.  The plumber will be here tomorrow morning to fix it.  Bring Charmaine to one of the bathrooms in our guest rooms upstairs.”

Charmaine wanted to change her mind about going but then she knew that would only arise suspicion in Steven.  With no choice Charmaine muttered a low thank you and then followed Raymond up the stairs.  She was led to a room down a short hall around the corner from the landing.

Raymond pointed at a door in the corner of the room and said, “The bathroom is there.”

Muttering another thank you Charmaine quickly went inside.  Alone in the bathroom she splashed cold water onto her face.  Standing in front of the mirror she took long shallow breaths to ease away her jitters which didn’t seem to be working.  With distress she wondered what was the matter.  Having being a cop for almost ten years she has the bravery to dodge bullets, fought with the meanest street thugs and even jumped off stairs to chase after crooks.  So why was she a nervous wreck now and all because of one man.  A man who intruded her thoughts and dreams without her permission.  Damn him she cursed with frustration.  After another five minutes of deep breathing she felt she was ready to go back out and endure the rest of the evening which shouldn’t last too long.  She turned the knob and walked out and to her astonishment, Raymond was sitting on the bed waiting for her.  He stood up when he saw her come out and slowly walked towards her.

Charmaine took a step back and eyed him cautiously, “What are you doing here?” she asked weakly.

Raymond gave her a cheeky grin and said, “I figure I wait and take you back downstairs.  It’s the gentlemen thing to do.’

“There’s no need,” Charmaine snapped.  “I know my way back.”

Raymond’s smile vanished at the tone of her voice.  Looking at her intently he asked, “What happened?  Why do I get the feeling that you’re mad at me?”

Charmaine laughed nervously and began edging her way towards the door.  “I’m not mad at you or anyone.  I just get very cranky when I have unsolved cases to deal with.”

Raymond didn’t buy that and seeing her intention blocked the door with his frame.

Refusing to look at him, Charmaine implored, “Can you please step aside?  They’re waiting for us downstairs.”

“Look at me,” Raymond commanded softly.

Charmaine slowly tilted her head and met his gaze.  Before she knew what was happening Raymond had pulled her into his arms and captured her lips in a kiss that was every bit as sensual as in her dreams.  He deepened the kiss and Charmaine responded by circling her arms around his neck to bring herself closer to him.  Just then she heard Raymond’s name being called.  She immediately pulled away from his embrace.

Raymond was stunned by her sudden break.  Disoriented he looked at her and was about to ask her what happened when he heard his own name being repeated a second time.  It was Frankie calling from the bottom of the stairs.

“That shouldn’t have happened,” Charmaine said numbly then hastily left leaving Raymond staring after all with a mixture of anger and disappointment.