Chapter 16

Crossing the Lines

It was early evening and the streets were filled with the bustling of people rushing home from a long tired day at work.  Raymond, however, did not fit that description as he walked leisurely up the street, stopping every now and then to look at a store’s display.  He had just finished a two hour meeting with his accountants.  It was too early to check in on the bars and he wasn’t in the mood to go home and listen to another round of lectures from Frankie.  He didn’t need it.  He knows what type of guy Kenneth is and believes he can handle him without any interference from Frankie.  Now if only Frankie would just drop the subject entirely and let Raymond do things his own way then Raymond wouldn’t avoid going home so often.  But he knew that was too much to ask for.  Then out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Frankie coming out of a building across the street.  Just what he needed he thought sourly and before he had a chance to make a fast getaway Frankie saw him.

“Ray,” Frankie called out to him and quickly jotted across the street.  “Are you headed home for dinner?”

“Actually I’m planning on dining out,” Raymond said as he began slowly backing away.  “I’ll see you later at home.”

“Wait,” Frankie said and Raymond stopped.  “Are you meeting anyone?”

Raymond had never lied to Frankie and he wasn’t going to start now.  With a sigh he answered, “No,” in a barely audible voice already knowing what’s going to happen next.

“Great!” Frankie said with enthusiasm, “It’s been a long time since the two of us ate out.  Do you have any preference in restaurant or do you want me to pick?

Raymond glanced up and down the street and shook his head, “I was planning on wandering around until I find a place I’m interested in.”

Frankie e way then the other and pointed at a Thai restaurant a few stores down, “How about over there?  I know you like spicy food.”

Raymond smiled.  Even though the two brothers have their differences there was no denying the fact that they loved each other.  “Sure, but you’re treating,” he stated then walked ahead of Frankie towards the restaurant.

The restaurant wasn’t packed which was unusual since it was dinner time.  Frankie slipped the waiter a bill and asked for a table with more privacy.  The waiter nodded happily and led them to the back dining area which had only a few tables and none of them occupied.  “Will this do?” he asked politely.

With a smile of appreciation, Frankie thanked the waiter and he left to get them their menus.

When they were both seated and the waiter had taken their orders of drinks, Frankie asked, “Tell me how the bars are doing?”

Raymond picked up his glass of water and answered, “Business is good.  We’re getting new crowds every night.  At this rate, we may be opening a new bar soon.”

“That’s good to hear.  What about yourself?  I hardly see you since you’re never home,” Frankie accused softly then searched Raymond’s face and asked, “Are you avoiding me?”

Chuckling, Raymond answered truthfully, “Yes and as you can see I wasn’t able to avoid you this time.”

Frankie laughed at the answer and replied softly, “I’m sorry that I nag you all the time but I just don’t want to see you in any sort of trouble.  Is it a crime to worry about my one and only younger brother?”

“I know you care about me a lot but I have to learn from my own mistakes too.  Otherwise I will never grow up and be my own person.”

Frankie nodded, “You’re right.  From now on, I promise I won’t ask any more questions that I know you won’t like.  All I’ll do is listen if you ever need someone to talk to.  Does that satisfy you?”

“Thanks,” Raymond said, “Now are we going to order?  I’m starving!”  He looked up to summon their waiter and to his surprise saw Madame Sheh and Ma Sir walking into their area.

Charmaine saw him the moment she entered the back dining area and her once happy mood dissipated and replaced with a sour disposition.  She tapped Steven lightly on his shoulder, “Let’s go some place else.”

Puzzled by the request Steven asked, “Why?  I thought you wanted to try the food here.”

“I do but…” she trailed off when someone called out to Steven.

“Steven!” Frankie greeted joyously already getting to his feet and extending his hand.

Steven rushed forward and clasped his hand shaking it vigorously, “Frankie Lam!  I haven’t seen you in years.  How are you?”

Frankie laughed softly, “I’m good, how about yourself?”

Steven’s smile widened as he said, “Very good.  I’m still in CIB.”

“I knew you would be.  How is Chow Sir?” Frankie asked with a warm smile.

“He retired a year ago and immigrated to Canada with his family.  The last I heard was that he now runs a family coffee shop over there.”

“I’m glad to hear that he’s doing well,” Frankie said sincerely.  He turned to Raymond and propelled him forward, “This is my brother Raymond.  I believe I mentioned him to you a few times in the past.”

Raymond shook Steven’s hand and mumbled a “How do you do.”

Steven studied Raymond with mild curiosity then said, “You look familiar.  Like I seen you before but I can’t remember from where.”

“I can tell you,” Charmaine said as she walked towards them with a gleam in her eyes.  “It was the night of my birthday dinner.  He and his friend were sitting at the table next to ours.  They left rather abruptly and loudly too.  I guess they were running back to their drug, ahem, I meant bars.”

Raymond’s surprise at seeing her quickly turned to annoyance when he heard the condescending tone in her voice and the accusation.  Biting his tongue since Frankie was present, he said in an even voice, “It’s nice seeing you again Madame Sheh.”

Charmaine gave him a mock smile and responded coolly, “I wish I could say the same to you.”

Frankie and Steven looked between Raymond and Charmaine, who were now openly glaring at each other.  Both stood awkwardly still wondering what was going on and not knowing what to do or say to diffuse the situation.

Raymond made the decision for them by turning his attention back to Frankie and said quietly, “I don’t want to eat here anymore.  Let’s go some place else.”

Frankie saw his brother’s hard expression and nodded, “Sure.”  Looking at Steven he said apologetically, “I’ll catch up with you some other time.”  Then he quickly followed Raymond out the restaurant.