Chapter 9

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine felt eyes on her and casually brought her head around to see who it was.  She hadn’t expected it to be the eyes of Raymond Lam and staring at her with such intensity that it made her heart almost jump out of her chest.  She quickly looked away and prayed that he didn’t recognize her.  Seducing Kenneth Ma was one thing because he appeared easy and gullible but Raymond Lam was an entirely different story.  From her two encounters with him, she found him to be sharp and overly clever and will not be easily fooled by what she had in store.  Before she could make a fast exit he was already upon her.

“Madame Sheh,” Raymond greeted smoothly beside her.  “What brings you here?  More questioning?”

Dammit, Charmaine muttered to herself.  Blacking out her annoyance, she turned to look up at him and gave him what she hoped was a friendly smile, “Hello Mr. Lam.”

Raymond was astounded by the civility of her tone and said warily, “I hear you’re looking for Ken.  If it’s to assist in your investigation perhaps I can help you with it instead since he isn’t here.”

Charmaine saw his guarded expression and stuttered, “I-I’m actually looking for him for p-personal reasons.”

That reply seemed to arise even more suspicion in him for he arched a brow and said slowly, “Really?  Somehow I find that hard to believe.”

“It’s true,” Charmaine affirmed then fired back heatedly, “Not that it’s any of your business.”

Raymond didn’t say anything at first then a smile slowly spread on his lips.  “I’m making it my business,” he stated in a buttery soft voice and sat down on the chair beside her.

Completely irked by his arrogance, Charmaine stood up intending to leave but his hand shot out and took hold of her wrist preventing her from leaving.  “Sit,” he ordered softly but there was a firmness in his tone that told her to obey.  “I have something to say to you.”

Charmaine remained standing.  No one tells her what to do especially not people like him.  She smiled sweetly at him and said, “No.”

Unfazed by her clipped response, Raymond said, “It won’t take long.”  When Charmaine stood in place staring back at him with defiance he stood up as well.  “Fine.  Let me you out then.”

With his hand still holding her prisoner, he guided her out the bar and onto the street.  The street was empty and quiet given the late time.

Charmaine twisted her arm and asked testily, “Can you let go of me?”

Her question made Raymond tighten his hold.  “I know what you’re up to.”

Charmaine ceased her fidgeting and looked at him with wide eyes, “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she mumbled but she knew.  She saw it in his knowing eyes.

Raymond gave her a perusal from head to toe and said, “You looking for Kenneth and dressed the way you are is telling enough.”

“I’m off duty and this is how I’m usually dressed when I’m out for some fun,” she stammered then bit out, “Got a problem with that?”

“My problem is you,” Raymond said, his eyes locked on her face.  “I’ve already told you there are no drugs in my bars and I’m telling you again.  You’re wasting time investigating us when the real drug dealers are out there laughing at what fools the police are.”

His words agitated Charmaine but more so his condescending tone.  Staring angrily at him, she said, “First of all, whether you are clean or not that’s not for you to tell me.  I’ll find that out on my own.  Second, I don’t believe we’re wasting time in investigating criminals like you.  And lastly, don’t tell me what I can and cannot do.”  After she was done with her little speech, she looked pointedly at her imprisoned arm and added, “Now unhand me or else I’m going to arrest you for attempt to kidnap.”

Raymond chuckled and dropped her arm.  Turning away from her he said, “I’ll let Ken know that you were here.”  Laughing he walked back inside the bar.

----------------------------------

Selena looked down at her ringing cellphone.  It was Kenneth again.  He had been calling her several times a day for the past week.  Charmaine had told her not to have any more to do with him and she wasn’t going to.  But his persistence was driving her crazy.  How many times did she have to repeat herself.  She had already told him that they were over and although he refused to accept it, she didn’t care.  What made her furious was that he actually showed up at her office this morning and made a scene, screaming and ranting about how much he missed her.  She was so humiliated that she quickly left and took the rest of the day off.  Since then her phone has been ringing off the hook.  Finally her phone stopped ringing but the ringing resumed seconds later.  The guy doesn’t know when to give up.  She’ll straighten it out once and for all and answered the phone, “Hello.”

“Selena, why are you avoiding me?” Kenneth asked with desperation.  “What did I do wrong?”

“We’re over,” Selena said curtly.  “Stop calling me.”

“Why?  Don’t tell me that you actually believe that I would deal drugs?” Kenneth asked with disappointment.  “Come on you know I wouldn’t do something like that.”

“I’m sorry but we’re over,” Selena said coolly and repeated, “Stop calling me.”

“Wait,” Kenneth said urgently, “Can I at least give you a present that I bought for you some time ago.  I was waiting to give it to you on your birthday which is next week but since we’re no longer together I still want you to have it.”  When there was silence on her end, he said softly, “Please… I really want to give it to you.  After that, I promise I won’t bother you ever again.”

“Well…” Selena said debating on what to do.

“Please.  Come to Passion Bar tomorrow night at the usual time.  You don’t even have to see me if you don’t want to.  I’ll leave it with the bartender.”

That seemed reasonable to Selena.  “Alright,” she finally agreed then after saying their goodbyes hung up.

Kenneth pocketed his phone and with a smug smile whistled as he left his office already anticipating the fun he’ll have tomorrow night.