Chapter 46

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine opened her eyes and stretching her arms upward, yawned softly.  She pushed the covers back and was about to get up from bed when an arm slid around her waist keeping her in place.  “Ray,” she chided gently, “I’m going to be late.”

Raymond snuggled closer to her, keeping his arm locked around her waist.  “Lie with me for a few more minutes,” he mumbled.

Charmaine giggled and turned so that she was facing him.  She touched his arm lightly, running her fingers up and down it while her lips feathered kisses on his forehead.

With his eyes still closed, Raymond grinned, “Keep that up and you may just have to take the morning off.”

Charmaine became still for a few seconds then brought her lips down on his.  She nipped the corners of his mouth and teased, “You and your threats.”

Suddenly Raymond took possession of her lips and kissed her hungrily while he shifted so that he was lying on top of her.  He lifted his head slightly to look down at her beautiful face and said seductively, “I don’t make idle threats.”

Charmaine saw the desire on his face and is always in awe of the passion she ignites in him and the reactions he has to her merest touch.  Sometimes she feels as if she was dreaming to have finally found someone whom she loved more than anything and who reciprocated that same feeling.  With a tender smile she said, “You can make good on your threat tonight.”  Ignoring his pout, she pushed him off her and got up from bed.  “Today is the first day of Steven’s trial and I want to be there.”

Raymond had almost forgotten about it.  It had taken Charmaine two months to completely heal from her bruises and the stab wound they found on her.  After much questioning, Charmaine still couldn’t remember when she had been stabbed.  All she could remember was being repeatedly slapped and punched by Steven.  Nevertheless, there was more than enough evidence to finally put Steven Ma behind bars.  “I’m going with you,” he said as he also got up from bed.

“You don’t have to.  I’ll be fine on my own, besides Bosco and Natalie will be there as well.”

Raymond walked around the bed to her and holding her shoulders said, “I want to be there for you at all times.  That’s the promise I made to you.”

Charmaine smiled lovingly at him, “I love you so much.”

Raymond looked down at her.  His eyes roamed over her tousled hair, her face still flushed from sleep then skimmed to her lips.  He had never seen a more beautiful woman than her and knowing that she belonged to him made his heart swell with pride.  “I love you too,” he breathed then bent to kiss her again.  When he finally pulled away he said, “I think I’m going to keep you around for a while.”

Charmaine laughed and retorted, “How long of a while are we talking about here?”

“Does forever meet your approval,” Raymond asked faintly, his mouth already moving down over hers.

----------------------------------------

Kenneth hovered outside the Courthouse.  He had been debating all last night whether he should attend the trial.  He had made up his mind last night that he wasn’t going to have anything more to do with his brother and yet he found himself standing outside the Courthouse.

“Ken,” Raymond greeted him as he walked hand in hand with Charmaine over.

Kenneth smiled sheepishly at him, avoiding Charmaine.  He didn't have the courage to face her, not after what Steven had done to her.  Although Charmaine was alright and Raymond had forgiven him, a part of him still can’t forgive himself.  “Hi Ray.”

“Are you going in?” Raymond asked.

“I-I don’t think so,” Kenneth stammered and turned to leave but Charmaine stopped him.

“I think you should,” she said firmly and Kenneth stared at her.  “Steven may have done a lot of bad things but he is still your brother and I think if he knows that you still care about him, he might finally see his mistakes and change.”

Kenneth continued staring at her and stuttered with incredulity, “You’re not mad at us?”

Charmaine shook her head and smiled warmly at him, “You’re Raymond’s friend and if he thinks you’re a friend worth having then how can I not forgive you.  As for Steven, all I feel is pity for him.”

Kenneth smiled sincerely back at her.  All the burden, the stress and agony that has been tormenting him has finally released itself from within and he felt freed and alive again.  “Thank you,” he said simply but there was a shiny wetness in his eyes.

Raymond punched him lightly in the stomach and teased, “Don’t go soft on me now.”

Kenneth laughed heartily and hugged Raymond.  To Charmaine’s surprise he pulled her into his embrace as well.

Raymond immediately pushed Kenneth’s arm off of Charmaine and warned, “I’ll let it slide this time but don’t you dare lay a finger on her again.”

Kenneth chuckled as he scrutinized Raymond, “Jealous?  That is so unlike you.”

Raymond wrapped his arms around Charmaine before turning back to Kenneth to answer, “That’s because I don’t like sharing what is mines.”

Charmaine laughed softly at his possessiveness.  She didn’t mind it one bit because she felt the same way about him.  Wrapping her own arms around him, she said, “And the same goes for me.”

Raymond liked her answer and it showed on his beaming face.  Picking up her hand, he said, “Come on, let’s go in now.  Tonight we can talk about our wedding.”  That night they did just that.