Chapter 34

Crossing the Lines

Raymond stuffed the tails of his shirt into his jeans and turned to survey Charmaine who was sitting in a corner preoccupied with peeling an orange for him.  “Orange?” he questioned with raised brows, “We’re leaving now.”

Charmaine handed him a wedge and said, “We can leave after you finish this.  I didn’t want to waste this last orange.  Besides Frankie isn’t here yet.”

Raymond chuckled and kneeled down beside her.  Instead of taking the slice from her he opened his mouth.

Charmaine smiled sweetly at him and dumped the wedge into his mouth.  “You can finish the rest yourself,” she laughingly said then got up to wash her hands in the adjoining bathroom.

Raymond watched as she walked to the bathroom.  He can’t help but admire her serene beauty and calm poise.  Sure she can be a hellcat when provoked which he had learned first hand from their previous hot headed encounters.  That was probably what attracted him to her in the first place.  Although many of his friends prefer the sweet submissive type, Raymond himself liked women who are bold, tough and unafraid to speak their minds.  Charmaine was all that and more.  After spending more and more time with her, he learned that she also had a feminine side to her that he found absolutely alluring and captivating.  Just a simple smile from her and his pulse would immediately accelerate.  It took great self control to hold himself back from crushing her to him and fulfilling his desire for her whenever they’re alone.

“Ray, what are you doing here?” Steven asked with surprise from the doorway.

Raymond sputtered, shocked by his appearance.  “Steven, what a coincidence!  What brings you here?”

“I had to check on some reports and saw you as I was passing by.”  He looked at Raymond from head to toe and asked with concern, “Is everything alright with you?”

“I had a little accident but I’m fine now.  I’m actually on my way out,” Raymond explained pointing to his packed bag resting on the floor.

Steven gave a small sigh of relief, “That’s good to hear.  For a moment I thought you have some sort of illness and I was worried,” Steven said affectionately.  “Your brother and I go way back so I think of you like my younger brother as well.”

Steven’s heartfelt words gnawed at Raymond and he winced inwardly feeling like the world’s biggest cad for stealing Charmaine from him.  Laughing uncomfortably he said, “Thanks for your kind words.  I’m sure you’re really busy and I don’t want to hold you up.”

Steven glanced at his watch and said apologetically, “I do have to run.  I’ll catch up with you and Frankie another time.  I’ll bring Charmaine along too.”

“Good idea,” Raymond replied shakily, “I’ll see you soon.  Bye.”

Raymond closed the door firmly and turned around to see Charmaine looking at him with a guilt-ridden expression.  He walked towards her with a gentle smile, “Charmaine…”

“I feel horrible for what we’re doing,” Charmaine interrupted.  “Steven is one of the kindest person I know.  I don’t want to hurt him.”

Raymond took her hands in his and said, “By lying to him is hurting him,” he reasoned.

Charmaine understood what he was getting at but that still didn’t make her feel any less guilty.  “I know but…”

Raymond placed a finger on to cease her talking, “No buts.  We already decided on telling him the news as soon as possible.”  He saw the nervous tension on her face and quietly said, “Unless you changed your mind about being with me.”  With eyes boring into hers he asked, “Have you changed your mind?”

Looking deeply into Raymond’s eyes Charmaine’s heart fluttered and she smiled reassuringly at him, “No.  I want to be with you.”

Hearing her response Raymond smiled lovingly down at her and softly said, “Then let’s find a time to tell Steven together.”

Charmaine nodded and was immediately pulled into his arms with Raymond seizing her lips for a soft tender kiss.

-----------------------------------

Kenneth dumped the last batch of pills from Raymond’s desk into his small carrier.  Things were getting out of hand and he needed to cease all activities for the time being.  He hadn’t visited Raymond at the hospital.  He didn’t know how to face him.  It was bad enough that he lied to Raymond about not dealing drugs at the bars but to stand back and watch him get hurt tore at him.  Raymond was a good friend.  In fact the only friend who trusted Kenneth.  Sure they had their differences but it never stood in the way of their friendship, a friendship that Kenneth valued.  If only he had checked the place carefully before doing what he had intended to.  Perhaps Raymond wouldn’t have gotten hurt.  His cellphone vibrated in his back pants pocket and he took it out to read the caller ID.  “Hello?” he greeted nervously.  “Yes I took out everything.  It’s all clear.”  Pause.  “How is he?”  Pause.  “Okay, I’ll stash everything at home for the time being.”  Pause.  “Are you sure he’s okay?”  Pause.  “Okay.  I’ll wait for your call.”  Kenneth returned the phone back to his pants pocket.  He breathed a sigh of relief knowing that Raymond was okay and was already up and about.  With only a few more minutes to spare before the employees began their shifts, Kenneth grabbed his carrier and left hurriedly through the back door.