Chapter 8

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine hurried into the conference room where her team was waiting for her.  “Where’s the autopsy report?” she asked and Bosco immediately handed her the file.  She read the report quietly and when she closed the file a look of displeasure was clear on her face.

“Ron found tears in her lower region along with bruises running along her inner thighs.  He said that it’s a high possibility that the victim was drugged then ,” Bosco said.

“It’s the same drug found in the other victim’s system,” Charmaine commented and everyone nodded in agreement.  “Nat, were you able to find anything about the drug like whether it is sold freely on the streets or if it’s something that is so exclusively.”

Natalie opened her notes, “I checked with my informants and according to them this drug had only begun circulating not too long ago.  It’s popular because it dissolves easily and the effect is instantaneously.  But they don’t have a clue about its origin only where you can get some.”

Hoping this will give them a lead, Charmaine quickly grasped onto it and asked urgently, “From where?”

“The Smashbox,” Natalie said.

“Them again,” Bosco snickered then turned to Charmaine, “Should we go there for more questioning?”

Charmaine shook her head.  “They’re not going to admit or tell us anything.  What we need is solid proof.”

“What should we do then?” Natalie asked, “That’s the only clue we got so far.”

An idea began forming in Charmaine’s head.  The other night when she was at Passions Bar with Selena she could not mistaken the spark of interest in Kenneth Ma’s face whenever he looked her way.  If she was correct in her assumption, then this might be the only way to get close enough to them to find her evidence.  Addressing the group she said, “Let’s lay low for now.  Bosco, I want you to find out exactly how many clubs or bars Raymond Lam and Kenneth Ma owns.  My instinct tells me that Raymond Lam is not an ordinary guy.”  Turning to Natalie, she said, “Run a background check on Raymond Lam and Kenneth Ma.  Find out where they live, what family members they have, everything little thing you can get hold of.”  She then turned to Matthew Ko, another newbie on the team and instructed, “Check to see have there been any drug related crimes within the vicinity of those bars that Bosco is able to pull up.  The rest of you, split up in teams of 2 or 3 and visit each bar and see if anything suspicious needs to be noted but don’t make it too obvious.  Is everyone clear on what they have to do?”

“Yes Madame!” they answered in unison.

As everyone scrambled out of the conference room Charmaine sat down on a nearby chair.  She hoped her suspicion about Kenneth Ma being interested in her was on target.  If not then she’ll have to figure out another way to get the dirt on them.  But she won’t know until tonight, when she was going to pay him a little visit.  Getting to her feet she wondered what she had at home to wear that is a bit more feminine than her usual jeans and tees.  If she was going to play the part, she would have to look it as well.

------------------------------------

Kenneth arrived early at the Passion Bar.  The employees were not scheduled to begin their shifts for another hour and Raymond won’t be around for at least another two or three hours the earliest.  This gave him plenty of time to do his own thing.  He walked to his desk and unlocked the top draw.  Removing the top tray he took out a small tin box with a small padlock on it.  He ran his hand over the smooth surface and smiled.  Money is what’s inside.  Not physical money but what the interior could bring him lots of.  With a smile to himself he placed the tin box back into the draw and locked it up.  Soon he would have to find another home for his little treasure.  Raymond has been on his case recently about the entire drug thing thanks to those damn cops showing up at Smashbox with their questioning.  The only pleasurable outcome of it was him meeting Madame Sheh.  Thinking about her made his blood heat up.  In time, he would have her just where he wanted, in his bed.  With a low chuckle, he left his office.

---------------------------------------

Raymond walked into Smashbox Bar at 10:00 pm.  This was the first place he visited every night before he made his round to the other bars he owned with Kenneth.  He comes here first because this was the very first bar he opened when he went into the business.  It held sentimental value to him.  The place was packed with locals and many new faces he haven’t seen before.  Business was picking up and when business was good that meant money was rolling in.  Not that he needed it.  Frankie kept them living luxuriously with his international trading company.  Raymond didn’t have to work if he didn’t want to.  Frankie will take care of him no matter what and that is what a big brother is for.

“Hey Ray,” the bartender called out to him.

Ray leaned against the counter, “Busy night,” he said, scanning the room with a pleased smile.

“There’s a woman over there looking for Ken,” the bartender pointed to the woman, who had her profile towards them.  Her face was angled in a way that Raymond couldn’t see it but he did note her shapely bare legs exposed by her short skirt.  “She’s a knockout,” the bartender added when he saw the direction of Raymond’s gaze.

At that moment, the woman turned and looked their way.  To his surprise, Raymond found himself staring at Madame Sheh.