Chapter 27

Crossing the Lines

“How did it go?” Charmaine asked Bosco the moment he stepped into her office.

“He denies knowing her or ever seeing her,” Bosco grounded out then pushed Raymond’s statement towards her for review.

Charmaine glanced at it quickly, “Does he have an alibi for last night?”

Bosco nodded, “He was at Smashbox until closing.  His employees can vouch for that.”

Charmaine found herself relieved by the news.  Why, she didn’t know.  Perhaps she truly believes that Raymond didn’t have anything to do with those deaths.  “He’s not our guy,” she stated with conviction.

“Or maybe he got his employees to lie for him” Bosco countered.  “He’s so rich he can easily pay them off to lie for him.  Besides, from what I hear his employees are paid more than any other bartenders or waiters.”

Charmaine hadn’t thought about that possibility but now that Bosco brought it up, it could be.  Frowning she looked at Bosco, “If he did pay his employees to cover for him we need proof of that.  You and the others divide into groups and see if you can get anything from his employees.”

“I’m on it,” Bosco said as he got up and headed out the door.

Charmaine leaned back against her chair and closed her eyes.  An image of Raymond flashed through her mind.  She quickly jerked her eyes opened and her phone rang at that instant.  “Hello, Madame Sheh speaking.”

“Hello Madame,” the voice on the other end greeted with a chuckle.

Charmaine froze hearing the voice of the man who just intruded her thoughts.  “H-Hello,” she stammered.

“Sorry I didn’t get to see you before.  I wished you were the one who questioned me instead of that clown Wong Sir,” Raymond joked softly.

Charmaine sat up in her chair and said casually, “It doesn’t matter who questions you as long as we got the information we needed.”

“It may not matter to you but it matters to me,” Raymond cooed keeping his voice in that low soft tone.  “I prefer to have a beautiful Madame like yourself to keep me company for that hour rather than a boorish ill mannered twit such as that Bosco Wong.”

Charmaine’s heart fluttered when he referenced her as beautiful.  In a shaky whispered she asked, “W-What are you calling for?”

“I’m actually calling to invite you out to dinner with me tonight.  Are you free?”

“No,” Charmaine managed to croak out all the while wondering what Raymond Lam was up to.  With her curiosity piqued she boldly asked, “What game are you playing now Mr. Lam?”

Raymond chuckled, the sound like a silky caress in her ear.  “No game.  I sincerely want to take you out to dinner.”

Not believing him for one second Charmaine said, “I’m sorry but I already made plans with Steven.”  It was a lie of course.  Steven was going to a District meeting followed by their annual dinner tonight and has already left to attend the meetings early in the morning.

After a slight pause, Raymond said, “I see.  Next time then.  Bye.”

Charmaine heard the click on the other end and stared at the phone in her hand.  When her heart had returned to its normal rhythm she gingerly placed the phone back onto its cradle.

--------------------------------------------

Charmaine yawned and placed the pen back into its holder.  She glanced at the clock: 8:30pm.  Everyone had left a few hours ago but she wanted to stay and finish up with some of her reports.  Selena was out of town again leaving her to her own devices for dinner.  She would pick up some take out on her way home.  She grabbed her purse from the draw and swung it over her shoulder.  The night was cooler than she expected and her thin blouse didn’t provide much warmth.  Wrapping her arms across her chest she hurried to her car but stopped when a figure stepped out from the shadows.

Raymond walked slowly towards her, a wicked grin on his face.  He stopped when he was standing directly in front of her, only inches apart.  “Hi,” he breathed.

Charmaine stared at him without moving.  “What are you doing here?” she asked hoarsely as a liquid warmth began to spread through her body.

“I’ve been waiting for you,” Raymond answered huskily, his eyes locked on hers.  “I haven’t left since this morning.”

Charmaine was stunned by his admission.  “W-What do you want?” she asked dully hypnotized by the intensity of his dark y eyes.

Raymond smiled then, a soft seductive smile.  He slowly brought his hands up to cradle her face.  With his thumbs he caressed her cheeks with tantalizing softness before angling her face gently upward to receive his kiss.

The kiss inflamed Charmaine’s senses and on its own accord her arms wrapped around his neck drawing him closer to her.  Waves of desire flushed through her as she held tightly onto to him.  The sound of a siren in the distance snapped her back to reality.  She quickly brought her arms to his chest and pushed herself away.  “No,” she groaned.

Raymond saw the distress on her face and he took a step towards her.

Charmaine held up a hand to ward him off, “Don’t, please.”

Raymond stared at her and said quietly, “You can’t deny that we want each other.”

Charmaine shook her head, “I’m in love with Steven.”  She began backing away from him, “Leave me alone!”

Raymond watched as she ran to her car and stumbled to open the car door.  He knew if he went after her now, in her current state she was bound to get into a car accident.  He remained standing in the parking lot watching as she sped off and only when he could no longer see the taillights of her car did he return to his own car.