Chapter 26

Crossing the Lines

Raymond was on his way down the stairs when the doorbell buzzed.  He saw the maid scurry across the stairs to answer the door.  Frankie was as usual at this time having his breakfast in the dining room.

Seconds later, Raymond heard the maid say, “This way officers,” and led them to the dining area.

Frankie heard the stampede of footsteps and turned to see what was going on.  Seeing the officers he got up and looked at them with inquiry, “How can I help you officers?”

Bosco looked around the room and saw Raymond standing in the middle of the stairs, “I’m here to see Mr. Raymond Lam.”

Raymond trotted down the remaining steps and stopped in front of Bosco, “What can I do for you?” he asked coolly.

It took every ounce of willpower for Bosco to remain calm and casual.  Mentally he repeated Charmaine’s instructions and knew regardless of how much he detested Raymond Lam, he had to follow through with his orders.  “We found a body this morning and by her body was your business card,” he paused then bit out, “again.”

Frankie hurried over to Raymond’s side and demanded, “Are you accusing my brother of having something to do with it?”

Bosco gave Frankie a brief smile then returned his hard stare to Raymond.  “Mr. Lam, we are asking for your cooperation in answering a few questions for us back at the station.”

Keeping his composure cool and collected, Raymond asked quietly, “Does your Madame know about this?”

Bosco snickered, “Of course she does.  She’s the one who asked me to bring you in.”

“Fine,” Raymond said, “Give me a few minutes to change and I’ll come down to the station with you.”

Bosco followed Raymond up two steps when Raymond stopped and turned abruptly to look at him sharply, “Where do you think you’re going?”

Keeping his eyes locked on Raymond, Bosco said, “I want to make sure that you’re not going to leave through a back door or something.”

Raymond shook his head and laughed arrogantly, “Why would I do that?”

“Oh I don’t’ know but maybe to run away from your crimes now that you’re caught,” Bosco said evenly, “Or maybe to go out and kill another innocent girl.”

Frankie stepped in between them and directing his angry glare at Bosco said, “Remember, you are asking my brother to cooperate with you not arresting him.  Therefore, if you don’t watch your words, I will file a complaint against you for slander and believe me I will do it.”

Bosco contemplated Frankie’s words and with a half smile stepped down the stairs.  Turning to his men, he ordered, “We’ll wait for Mr. Lam outside.”

When the officers have left Frankie grabbed Raymond’s arm, “I’m going to call the lawyer and meet you outside.”

Raymond shook his head, “You don’t have to go with me.”  He saw the concern on Frankie’s face and assured him, “Don’t worry.  I didn’t commit any crime so they can’t charge me with anything.”

Frankie relaxed and saw the logic in Raymond’s words.  “You’re right.  My brother would never hurt anyone.”  As an after thought he said, “I’m surprised you’re taking it well.  You don’t seem at all annoyed by this.”

Raymond smiled warmly at Frankie and said with a mischievous grin, “That’s because I get to see Madame Sheh.”

----------------------------------------

Charmaine sat on the opposite side of the mirrored wall and watched as Bosco and Natalie interrogated Raymond Lam.  During the hour of questioning, she watched Raymond with mounting interest.  He didn’t squirm or fidget when Bosco threw in question after question.  He answered each question calmly and precisely.  Neither did he stuttered or faltered, giving a clue to his innocence.  The only thing he couldn’t explain was the finding of his business card by the victim’s body.  To that question, he seemed genuinely confused.  From time to time during the interrogation his eyes would wander along the mirror wall and it must be her mind playing tricks on her, but more than once their eyes would meet and she thought she saw his lips curl in a soft smile, which was of course ridiculous since he couldn’t possible see through the wall.  From his view all he would see was his own reflection.  Yet, Charmaine felt that he knew she was watching him.  Turning to Matthew she said, “I’m going to head back to my office now.  Tell Bosco to see me when he’s done.”

“Yes Madame,” Matthew said.

---------------------------------------

Bosco stood up and closed his file.  He opened the door and said to Raymond, “Thank you for cooperating with us today.  If we need to question you further in the future, I hope you’ll cooperate as you did this time.”

Raymond got up and walked out of the room.  With the same arrogant smile pasted on his lips he returned, “Of course.  It’s my duty to cooperate and assist the police.”

“You may leave,” Bosco said without feeling then his heels with Natalie by his side.

“Wait,” Raymond called after them.  “May I see your Madame?”

Bosco looked at him warily, “What for?”

“I don’t need to tell you,” Raymond responded softly yet there was an underlying challenge in his tone.

Bosco narrowed his eyes at Raymond and said, “She’s not here,” then walked away without giving Raymond a chance to say another word.