Chapter 28

Crossing the Lines

Charmaine forced a bright smile to her face as she walked towards Steven.  He had called last night with the suggestion of them having breakfast together before heading to the station.  At the time when he called her thoughts were still reeling from the scene with Raymond and had impulsively agreed to meet him.  It was only after they hung up did she regret her rash reply.  Just act natural she told herself as she took the final steps towards him.  “Good morning,” she greeted cheerfully.

Steven saw her wide smile and his brows perked up with surprise, “You’re in a beautiful mood today,” he commented taking her hands into his.

Charmaine squeezed his hands gently and said, “That’s because I missed you last night and am happy to see you this morning.”  That was so far from the truth that Charmaine almost gagged with shame at her little lie.  She had actually spent the entire night trying to erase the scene with Raymond from her mind but it was useless.  Her thoughts were forever on him and the torrid kisses they shared.

Steven smiled down at her with adoring eyes, “I missed you too,” he said softly.

Charmaine saw the adoration on his face and felt guilty for lying to him.  “Where are we going?” she asked quickly as she walked around the car to the passenger side.

Steven got behind the wheel and started the car.  As he signaled to pull out he said, “I’m meeting Frankie at the Bistro café.”

Charmaine’s heart dropped.  She turned anxiously to Steven and in a controlled voice asked, “Are we just meeting with Frankie alone?”

Steven cast her a brief look, “Yes, who else would be there?”

Charmaine couldn’t bring herself to say Raymond’s name for if she did Steven would wonder why it mattered whether he was there or not.  “I was just wondering,” she replied in a noncommittal tone then turned her attention to look out the window on her side.

Steven turned to glimpse at her and although her face was partially averted, he was still able to see the tension on it.  He had a feeling something was amiss with her but couldn't bring himself to question her about it.  They rode in silence to the restaurant.

When they entered the restaurant Charmaine was relieved to see Frankie sitting alone at a table.  She linked her arm with Steven’s and allowed him to lead the way.

Frankie saw them immediately and stood up to greet them.  “I was beginning to wonder whether you guys would show up at all.”

Steven pulled a chair out for Charmaine and said, “There was a bit of traffic on the way over.”

“I was only kidding,” Frankie said with a smile then seated himself back down.  “I just got here not too long ago.”  He picked up some menus and handed it to them, “but I’ve already ordered.”

A waitress came over with pen poised in the air to take their orders.  Steven leaned over to Charmaine and asked tenderly, “What do you feel like having?”

Charmaine skimmed the menu quickly, “I’ll have pancakes with sausage.”  After closing the menu she added, “And coffee.”

“I’ll have the same,” Raymond said from behind her and Charmaine swirled around in shock to find him standing beside her and taking the seat on her right.

“Are you alright?” Steven asked her with concern, “You look real pale all of a sudden.”

Charmaine avoided his eyes and stammered, “I-I didn’t get enough s-sleep last night.”

Picking up her hand, Steven asked, “Should I take you home?  If you’re not well you shouldn’t be going in to the station.”

“I’m fine,” Charmaine assured him and got up.  “Excuse me for a moment.  I’m going to the ladies room to freshen up a bit.”  She gave a small smile to everyone then hastily left in search of the ladies room.

Raymond mentally counted to twenty then stood up.  “I have to make a quick call outside.  Be right back.”  Instead of going outside he made a detour towards the washrooms which was conveniently located downstairs from the main dining area.  He leaned against a wall beside the door of the ladies room and waited patiently for Charmaine.

Inside the ladies room Charmaine splashed cold water on her face letting the coldness of it wash away the last fatigue from her face.  This was getting too hard for her.  Just the nearness of him has her nerves on edge.  She stared at her reflection in the mirror and immediately shut her eyes tightly trying in vain to slow down the rapid beating of her heart.  After a few more minutes she felt she was ready to face Raymond.  When she emerged from the ladies room she halted in mid step seeing Raymond leaning casually beside the door.

“We need to talk,” Raymond said as he straightened up from the wall.

“There’s nothing for us to talk about,” Charmaine said coolly then attempted to walk past him but his hand shot out to hold her in place.

“What about our kiss,” Raymond grounded out, furious by her aloof behavior, “and the feelings between us.”

Charmaine glared at him and said in a low hissing voice, “It was only a kiss.  Don’t make anything out of it.  I’m in love with Steven.  Now take your hands off me.”

Raymond stared down at her.  Each word she spoke was like a cut to his already wounded heart.  “You’re not in love with Steven,” he seethed.  “I know you’re not.”

Charmaine met his glare head on.  Holding his eyes she said clearly, “I am whether you believe it or not,” then roughly pushed his hand off her and walked away.  When she returned to the table Frankie’s cell phone rang.

Frankie spoke softly into the phone then his eyes lifted to Charmaine with a frown but just as quickly looked away.  “I see.  I’ll see you at home.”  After he hung up he turned to Steven with an apologetic smile, “Raymond had something to do so he left already.”

“Don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of time for all of us to get together again,” Steven said warmly.

“Yes, plenty,” Frankie said absently and his eyes darted to Charmaine who avoided his eyes.