Chapter 35

Crossing the Lines

Bosco reviewed his notes and turned to Natalie with a frown, “Something just doesn’t add up.”

Natalie peered over his shoulder to see what he was looking at, “What doesn’t?”

“Charmaine said that Kenneth is behind the drug deals and may also be the murderer of those girls but something tells me it’s not him.”

Natalie took the file from Bosco and scanned its contents, “He’s highly suspicious is all I can say.”

Looking up at the blackboard where a chart has been drawn to connect the victims and their common areas, Bosco said, “I just don’t think it’s him.”

Natalie looked at the chart and asked, “What are you basing your hunch on?”

“I don’t know,” Bosco groaned and rubbed his neck with a hand.  “I questioned him a few times and although he’s a real loser the guy doesn’t seem to have the guts to commit murder.  He’s what you call all talk and no action type of guy.”

Natalie thought over Bosco’s words and said, “It’s either him or Raymond Lam and Madame said it’s definitely not Raymond Lam.”

“I wonder why she’s so sure of that,” Bosco murmured then asked, “By the way where is she?  I haven’t seen her all day.”

Natalie shrugged, “She told me she had something personal to tend to but will come in later.”

“She’s been acting strange these couple of days,” Bosco said and Natalie nodded her head in agreement.

“Who has?” Steven asked from the doorway with a friendly smile.

“Hi Ma Sir,” Natalie greeted, “We were just chit chatting.”

Steven took a step into the conference room and looked inquiringly at Bosco, “Do you know where Charmaine is?  I’ve been calling her for some time now but it keeps going into her voicemail.”

Natalie spoke, “She’s coming in later.  Do you need her for something?”

Steven smiled shyly at her as a blush formed on his cheeks, “I just wanted to see her.”

Bosco chuckled and placing a hand on Steven’s shoulder joked, “Don’t you guys get tired of seeing each other?”

Laughing softly Steven shook his head as he answered, “I will never get tired of seeing her.”

Bosco made a gagging sound to which caused Steven’s face to deepen even more in color.  Seeing the other man’s discomfort, Bosco quickly said, “We’ll tell her you were here.”

“Thanks,” Steven said cheerfully and was about to leave when he noted the spread out files on the conference table.  Peering down at them he asked, “Are those files on the drug overdose cases?”

Bosco picked up a file and sighed, “Yes but we can’t seem to find any more leads from it.  Nat and I have been here re-reading everything and still nothing.  We’re getting hopeless about ever catching the guy.”

Steven nodded with understanding, “Just hang in there.  You guys are the best of the best and there haven’t been any unsolved cases under your investigations and I know this is no exception.”

Bosco and Natalie beamed at his compliment and said, “Thank you Ma Sir!”

--------------------------------

Raymond pulled the car up to the curb and turned towards Charmaine with a warm smile.  “I’ll pick you up after work.”

“Why don’t I call you when I’m done,” Charmaine said gently as she unbuckled her seat belt.

“I thought we agreed to tell Steven together,” Raymond gritted with annoyance with his eyes holding steadily onto her.

Charmaine touched his face lightly, “I feel it’s better if I told him myself.  You being there would only make the situation worse.”

“We agreed,” Raymond reminded curtly looking at Charmaine with a hard set expression.

“I know but I already feel bad enough for what I’ve done and I really don’t want to hurt him anymore,” Charmaine explained.  She gave him a beseeching look and said, “Can’t you let me do this on my own?”

Raymond’s eyes soften at her plea and he picked up her hands to kiss her knuckles.  “I’m sorry,” he said tenderly.  “I guess I’m afraid that you won’t be able to go through with it.  I don’t want to lose you now that I finally have you.”

“You don’t trust me?” Charmaine asked with disappointment.

Raymond immediately cradled her face in his hands and said, “I believe in your feelings for me but I also know you are too soft hearted when it comes to hurting people, especially someone as nice as Steven.”

Charmaine touched her lips gently with his and said softly, “I can do it because I know what’s waiting for me.”

Raymond was immensely pleased with her response.  Smiling he brought his lips down on hers and kissed her slowly and thoroughly.  When he finally lifted his head he teased with a seductive smile, “You better go now or I’m going to turn this car around back to my place.”

Giving him a quick peck, Charmaine hopped out of the car.  She stopped in front of the car and blew him a kiss unaware that Steven who was walking up from behind her caught her action.  Raymond, however, saw Steven and with a silent oath quickly got out of the car.