Chapter 13

Crossing the Lines

Kenneth hovered outside the private room at the back of the bar.  He peered in through the small looking glass and saw Raymond relaxed on the sofa enjoying a drink.  Knocking once on the door, he swung it open and strode in, “Hi Ray.”

Raymond looked up at him without answering, his expression stony.

“Are you still mad about what happened the other night?” Kenneth asked as he sat down on an adjacent chair.  When Raymond remained eerily quiet he said, “Look I’m sorry and I swear it won’t happen again.“

“That’s the problem with you,” Raymond said, “You act out without thinking about the consequences.  For heaven sakes, she’s a cop!  Can you even imagine what kind of trouble it will bring us if you have succeeded in your little plan?”

Kenneth averted his face, unable to meet Raymond’s piercing eyes.  “I’m sorry and I’ve already promise that it won’t happen again.  Can we just forget about it?” he added with a soft plea.

Raymond saw the remorse on Kenneth’s face and said, “Okay, consider it forgotten but remember, don’t go messing with that Madame again.  She’s trouble for us.”

Kenneth brought his hand to his face and lightly touched the area where Charmaine had brutally slapped.  Only a tinge of a bruise can be seen now.  With hardened eyes, he said gruffly, “Don’t worry.  I hope I never have to see her again.”

Raymond saw the fury on Kenneth’s face and knew what he was thinking.  “You asked for it.  Did you honestly think she would surrender willingly to you?”

“What I didn’t expect was that she can pack a punch.  I’m still sore from her slap,” Kenneth complained and winced when his finger accidentally touched a sensitive spot.

Raymond chuckled seeing the pain on Kenneth’s face.  “Let that be a lesson to you.  Never underestimate your adversary.”

“I won’t ever again,” Kenneth said stoically.  “If I see her again I’ll make sure she…”

“You’ll do what?” Raymond interrupted sharply.  “You just gave me your word not to cause any more trouble.”

“Sorry,” Kenneth mumbled, “I was just babbling.”  Suddenly, he glanced at his watch, “Are you hungry?  Let's grab some dinner before it gets busy.”

Raymond wasn’t surprise by Kenneth’s abrupt change of topic.  Perhaps that was why they have gotten along so well.  Kenneth never argued with him and easily put things behind him without protest.  “Dinner is a good idea,” Raymond agreed.

Kenneth got up and Raymond followed, “There’s a new restaurant in the Sogo District that is supposed to be really good and they open late too.  Let’s try it.”

With the subject of Madame Sheh forgotten, Raymond said, “Sure.  Let’s go.”

------------------------------------

Selena ran up the stairs to the police station and bumped into a hard male body.  Without looking up, she muttered an apology and was about to brush past him when he shot out a hand and grabbed her arm.

“Selena?” Ron said keeping a steady hand on her.

Selena looked up, her breathing rapid as if she had just completed a five mile run.  “Hi Ron,” she managed to gasp out in between breaths.

“What are you doing here?” Ron asked as he took in her disheveled appearance and her shortness of breath.

Selena took a deep long breath then explained with distress, “I was hoping to catch Charmaine before she left.  “I forgot the name of the restaurant we’re going to and my cell phone is out of battery and I don’t remember her number by heart.”

“You’re too late.  They left already,” Ron said.

“Oh no,” Selena groaned slapping her forehead with her palm.  “Charmaine is going to kill me for missing her birthday.  We’ve been spending our birthdays together since we were kids.  It’s like our own traditional.”  She then clutched Ron’s arm and looked at him expectantly, “Do you happen to know where they went?”

Ron smiled at her and said, “Yes.”

Selena waited for him to say more but when he didn’t she asked impatiently, “Well?  Are you going to tell me?”

Ron pursed his lips together and said, “No.”  When he saw Selena’s eyes widen with annoyance he quickly added in a tease, “I won’t tell you where they went but I can certainly take you there.  That is if you don’t mind that I smell like dead meat.  Get it?” he then laughed at his own joke.

Selena shook her head and said dryly, “Charmaine warned me about you.”

Ron looked at her with interest and said, “Really?  What did she warn you about?”

Holding back a smile, Selena said, “Your dead humor.”

Ron laughed at the comment then taking her arm said, “Come on.  My car is over there.”

---------------------------------------

Charmaine and her team took seats around the large circular table.  A waiter approached them and passed menus around then recited their specials for the evening.  When he was done, he left to get their drinks.

At that moment, Raymond and Kenneth walked in and to their surprise saw the officers.  Raymond’s eyes fell on Charmaine and with a haughty smile sauntered over to their table, “Hello Madame Sheh, how nice seeing you again.”

Charmaine heard the soft silky voice and knew who it belonged to without looking up.  Ignoring him she continued to sip her tea.

Bosco who sat next to Charmaine snapped sarcastically, “Actually we followed you guys here.  Do you have a problem with that?”

Raymond flicked Bosco an amused look then turned his attention back to Charmaine, “Mind if Ken and I join you?”

Charmaine finally lifted her head to look at him and said coldly, “As a matter of fact, I do mind.”

Raymond chuckled softly and said, “Perhaps next time then when you officers are in a better mood.”  He then turned around and sat down at the table directly next to theirs.