Chapter 12

Crossing the Lines

“I think we’re on to something,” Bosco said with excitement as he walked into Charmaine’s office.  “We found someone who told us that she was once offered drugs inside Passions Bar by an employee.”

Charmaine sat forward in her chair and asked anxiously, “Are you certain?  And will she be willing to testify in Court if we formally bring charges?”

“Yes to both questions,” Bosco answered with a confident smile then the smile wavered, “But it’s still not enough to build our case.  We need more substantial evidence.”

“How is Nat doing on the background checks on our guys?”

Bosco pointed towards the conference room which also serve as their work room and said, “She has the full scoop and is waiting for us to go over so she can give us the report.”

Charmaine stood up abruptly, “What are we waiting for then?”  They crossed several cubicles and arrived at the conference room where the rest of the team were already seated and waiting.  Charmaine nodded to Natalie, “Go ahead with your report.”

Natalie walked over to the switches by the door and flicked the lights off.  Seconds later the screen in front of the room and a picture of Raymond Lam filled the screen.  “This is Raymond Lam.  His father was once the head of one of the most powerful gangs in Hong Kong.  Unfortunately he and his wife died in an automobile accident when Raymond was only five years old leaving Raymond and his brother Frankie orphans.  However, because their father was well respected and liked by the so called uncles in the triad, they willingly took over the care of the two brothers.  Under their guidance, Frankie soon took over the role his father left behind.  He was a natural and everyone respected him, even their rivals.  Few years later, Frankie began moving the underground businesses to legal ones.  He formed an international trading company that brought in huge profits, more so than when he was running the illegal ones.  All the uncles were impressed and obviously happy with his judgment.  He is now ranked as one of the richest men in Hong Kong.  His brother, Raymond, younger by ten years is your typical spoiled and pampered playboy never having to work a day in his entire life.  After graduating from college overseas he returned home.  He isn’t as ambitious as his older brother and spends his days doing absolutely nothing.  Only recently he opened a few bars with his friend Kenneth Ma.”  Natalie pressed a button on the remote and then an image of Kenneth Ma came to life on the screen.  “Kenneth Ma.  His parents are your average citizens owning a small vegetable stand on the streets.  All through his life Kenneth had been labeled as trouble as early as elementary school.  As he got older, his brushes with the law became more frequent.  He stole, got into fights and was even arrested once for assault on a teacher.  However, because he was still a minor at that time, they let him go and sent him to reform school instead.  Since then he seem to have miraculously changed for the better.  However, he had never held a steady job in his life,” Natalie finished.

When the lights , Bosco looked at the group and said his thoughts aloud, “How did these two guys even meet?”

Natalie turned off the projector and said, “It was by chance.  Raymond went to a bar where Kenneth was working as a valet and the two surprisingly hit it off.”

“If Kenneth comes from an average family how did he get the money to open the bars with Raymond Lam?” Charmaine asked with bewilder.

“That’s easy,” Natalie replied, “Its all Raymond Lam’s money.  Kenneth Ma is a partner in name only.  What he really does is watch and manages the bars.”  She then smiled and said with a gleam in her eyes, “Want to know something else too?”

Curious, Bosco asked, “What?”

“Apparently Frankie Lam doesn’t like Kenneth Ma.  The two brothers have gotten into many public arguments over him.  This is why Raymond, who never once thought about working, all of a sudden decides to go into business with Kenneth.  It’s to defy his brother.”

Charmaine took the information in and after a slight pause asked, “So does that mean Frankie and Raymond are at odds with each other?”

Puzzled Natalie said, “Actually no.  They are very close and Raymond still listens and turns to his brother for advice.  But for some unknown reason where Kenneth Ma is concerned, Raymond refuses to listen to his brother.”

“Sounds to me like Raymond and Kenneth are both trouble makers,” Bosco remarked snidely.

Natalie nodded and asked, “What’s our next move?”

Charmaine sighed, “Nothing until we have more evidence to link the drugs to them.  The only thing we can do now is keep reviewing our files and see if anything new comes up.”

“Hello everyone,” Steven Ma greeted as he walked in with a bright smile.  “I saw the door wide open and take it that the meeting is over.  If it isn’t I can always come back.”

“It’s over,” Bosco said then teased, “What brings you over this side of the building Ma Sir?”

Steven glanced shyly over at Charmaine and said, “I had to drop off something to Ron and came over to see if you guys were still around.”

With a silly grin, Bosco walked to stand beside Steven and said in a low whisper, “Us? Or Madame Sheh?”

Steven blushed profusely at the hint and stammered, “A-All of you.  I-I haven’t visited you guys in a while.”

Bosco rolled his eyes and joked, “You mean Madame Sheh again.”

Charmaine gave Bosco a look then said in an authoritive tone, “Bosco, if you keep this up I’m going to transfer you over to the lost and found unit.”

“You wouldn’t let your best man go,” Bosco bragged then chuckled when he saw the warm smile on her face.

In a soft gentle voice, Steven said, “Tomorrow night is Charmaine’s birthday.  Let’s take her out to dinner and celebrate with her.”

Charmaine quickly refused, “No, I don’t like to make a big deal out of it.  Besides I usually spend it with Selena.”

“Invite her out as well,” Bosco suggested then turned to Steven, “Ma Sir, since you know all the best places to eat, we’ll let you pick the place and make the arrangements.”

Smiling happily, Steven said, “Of course.”