Chapter 21

Crossing the Lines

Steven hurried over to Charmaine who was waiting outside the station for him.  He had a last minute call and had asked her to wait for him outside.  “Sorry,” he said when he approached her.

“It’s okay.  Work comes first,” Charmaine said.  “What are our plans for the night?”

Steven took her hand and placed it on the crook of his arm as he led her to his car.  “Frankie invited me over to his house for dinner tonight.  I hope you don’t mind that I accepted the invitation without first consulting you.”

Charmaine waited until she was seated in the car before answering, “Of course I don’t mind.  You make him sound like such a saint that I want to get to know him better myself.”

Steven smiled shyly at her and hesitantly asked, “You really don’t mind?”

“No silly,” Charmaine said as she buckled her seat belt.

Steven gave her a tender smile before turning the car onto a road.  After a few minutes of silence he asked, “Are you happy being with me?”

Charmaine was surprised by the question and turned to look at him.  “Of course.  Why do you ask?”

Although his eyes were on the road ahead, Steven could still feel her eyes on him.  His face immediately heated up and he cleared his throat awkwardly.  “B-Because sometimes I-I feel as if y-you’re distracted whenever we’re together.  It’s as if your mind is somewhere else besides with me.”

Charmaine guiltily turned her eyes from his face to stare out the window on her side.  In a casual voice she said, “I’ve been thinking about my cases.  You know how I get when it comes to my cases.”  That was just a little fib and a harmless one she assured herself.  The truth was that wasn’t all she had been thinking about lately.  A certain someone had intruded her thoughts and worse, her dreams.  Just thinking about the dream she had last night made her flush with embarrassment.  Luckily Steven was still concentrating on his driving and didn’t see her flushed face.  If he did he’ll definitely suspect something was up with her.  The last thing she wanted was to cause any damage to their relationship, a relationship that she respected and valued.  True, Steven wasn’t exactly an exciting fun loving guy but he was predictable and stable.  He gave her a sense of security.  The thing is Charmaine couldn’t understand why she would even dream about Raymond Lam.  They barely knew each other and despite the fact that he was devilishly handsome, she had never been superficial when it comes to a person’s appearance.  But the bulk of it was that he wasn’t even her type.  She had never been attracted to the bad boy type, which Raymond Lam certainly was.  She preferred men with low profiles, loyal and well respected.  That is why Steven suited her.  Frowning she recalled her dreams and those dreams weren’t exactly ordinary dreams.  It was intense and passionate and even awake she would turn red remembering the fiery kisses he gave her or the way he caressed her body.

“We’re almost there,” Steven said as he flicked on the right turn signal.

Steven’s voice snapped Charmaine out of her thoughts.  Turning to face him again, she asked, “Will it be just the three of us for dinner?”

If Steven found the question odd he didn’t say so.  “As far as I know yes.  His brother is never home.”

Charmaine didn’t how to respond to that so she just stayed silent and for the remainder of the ride prayed that Raymond Lam won’t be there.

--------------------------------------------

Raymond trotted down the stairs with his jacket flung over a shoulder.  Frankie was in the dining area re-arranging bowls and plates.  “What’s going on here?” he asked curiously when he saw Frankie stand back to admire the table setting.

“I’m having guests over for dinner,” Frankie said and then began placing glasses strategically onto the table.  “I was going to ask you to stay for dinner but I already know what your answer is going to be.”

Raymond chuckled as he slipped into his jacket.  “There’s no way I’m going to spend an evening playing host to your business affiliates.  You know how boring you guys are when all you do is talk about numbers and contracts.”

Frankie smiled and with delight announced, “My dinner guests tonight are not any business associates.  They’re Steven and his girlfriend.”

Raymond froze and asked coarsely, “Girlfriend…  You mean Madame Sheh?”

“The one and only,” Frankie confirmed then disappeared into the kitchen.  When he returned with a tray of silverware he saw that Raymond was still frozen in place.  “I thought you were leaving,” Frankie said and when he looked up from placing the silverware he noted that Raymond still had not moved.  He walked over to his brother and lightly tapped his arm, “Are you okay?”

Raymond smiled awkwardly and said, “I was just thinking it’s been a long time since I ate at home with you.”

Frankie gave him a strange look and mused, “Really?  Somehow I find that hard to believe.”

“Well it’s the truth,” Raymond exclaimed defensively and took off the jacket he had put on a few minutes ago.  Rubbing his hands together he asked, “Anything I can help you with?”

Frankie was baffled by Raymond’s sudden decision to dine at home and warily asked, “Are you for real?  You’re really staying for dinner?”

“Yes,” Raymond emphasized.  “Why do you find that so hard to believe?”

“Because you hate eating in and…” Frankie started but then stopped.  His expression changed from puzzlement to knowing amusement.  With a gleam in his eyes he said with awe, “It’s because of Madame Sheh isn’t it?”

Raymond looked away from Frankie’s knowing eyes, “It has nothing to do with her.  I just want to have a nice quiet dinner at home with my brother.”

“Sure you do,” Frankie said with disbelief and chuckled when he saw Raymond’s face flush with embarrassment.

“I do!” Raymond reiterated and when Frankie only laughed harder Raymond opened his mouth to defend himself but the buzzing of the doorbell cut him off.

“Our guests have arrived,” Frankie said and walked towards the front door.

Raymond grabbed his arm and insisted, “You got it all wrong so please don’t say anything stupid to them.”

Frankie responded to Raymond’s plea with a wink then brushing his brother’s hand away went to answer the door.